It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List your top five actor/actresses of all time and what movie made you love them.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
ACK i dont know how i forgot this man.... Neil Patrick Harris amazing period.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Actors:

1. Johnny Depp - Edward Scissorhands
2. Sean Penn - Mystic River
3. Robert Downey Jr. - Any of them
4. Jack Nicholson - The Shining
5. James Stewart - Rear Window and the other Hitchock movies he was in.

Actresses:

1. Francis McDormand - Blood Simple
2. Jodie Foster - The Silence of the Lambs
3. Kate Winslet - Finding Neverland, Little Children, The Reader
4. Meryl Streep - Adaptation., Doubt
5. Amy Adams - Doubt, The Fighter

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
1) Darren McGavin. he played Kolchak. nuff said.
2) and 3) Sarah Michelle Gellar and Nicholas Brendan (Buffy and Xander of Buffy tvs). awesome show, much more depth than given credit for.
4) Alex Denisov. played Wesley Windham Price on Buffy and the spinoff Angel. I have never seen an actor/character change so much and be so believable as he goes from simpering fop to tragic mystic warrior. Props, Alex.
5) Terry O'Quinn; Locke on Lost. Iconic. even when he doesn't seem to do much you can't stop watching. impressive range.
"Looks like you found your loophole."
"Indeed I have..."

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I will preface this by saying that no one part goes into making this decision. It's the actors talent. The actors I would go to see, even if the movie wasn't in my genre(I particularly like comedies and SciFi) are:

Sam Jackson
Kevin Spacey
Morgan Freeman
Clint Eastwood
Tim Robins, I know, I'm breaking the rules but I can't leave off Will Smith

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsongod21

Yeah, he's always chosen roles he enjoyed the sound of but then sometimes he loses out to other actors.

He would've had a top role in a Sam Raimi Batman movie but because the studio wouldn't give him the rights and Joel Schumacher had it instead, he created Darkman and gave Bruce that cameo voiceover when Liam Neeson shouts "Juuulieeeee!".

I heard rumours that if Sam had continued the Spiderman movies, he might have taken a fan of idea involving Bruce playing Mysterio and that his cameos in the other movies were him scouting Spiderman and obviously knowing who he really is under the mask and screwing with him.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Ahh, Kevin Spacey. Always reliable. First saw him in K-PAX, what a fantastic movie and great role for him to play.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
1. Harry Dean Stanton- I have yet to see a movie where Stanton hasn't blown me away. Wild At Heart, Paris Texas, Last Temptation of Christ, Escape From New York. Even movies I don't like, such as Red Dawn, if he's in it he makes it better. But his best performance, the one that made me love him is Repo Man (1984). One of the best movies of all time. There's nothing else like it.

2. Clint Eastwood- Forget John Wayne, Clint Eastwood was in way better movies. Unforgiven and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly are masterpieces. He's made a lot of clunkers, but when he hits, he hits hard.

3. Phillip Baker Hall- Very under rated actor. Great in Hard Eight and Magnolia, but really shines in Secret Honor. PBH plays Nixon. He's the only actor, there's only one set. It's just Nixon, after the presidency, drinking and ranting into a tape recorder. One of the most engaging movie I've seen.

4. George Clooney- The guy is just fun to watch and he's always game whether it's comedy or drama. Dusk Til Dawn and O Brother Where Art Thou are my favorites.

5. Jack Lemmon- Almost entirely for The Apartment, but he's great in The Odd Couple and JFK as well.

Honorable mentions:
Tom Waits- Shortcuts, Down By Law
Kurt Russell- The Thing
George C Scott- Dr. Strangelove

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
1. Tom Hanks - Da Vinci Code
2. Keanu Reeves - The Matrix
3. Matt Damon - The Bourne Identity
4. Nicholas Cage - National Treasure
5. Leonardo DiCaprio - The Departed

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Great thread but what a hard question. How do I pick only 5?

1. Sol Kyung-gu (Korean) - movies Peppermint Candy & Oasis. Every emotion from crying like a baby to pure evil from 1 man in 1 movie makes him world's top actor. And he goes from middle aged to young man with no special effects or special make-up and it was perfect. I think he's a channeller.

2. Bette Davis - All about Eve - brilliant. Now Voyager - fantastic & every other movie she was in, she made it. Magic!

3. Choi Min-sik (Korean) - movies Oldboy, Failan, I Saw The Devil. Brilliant. When he's being evil this guy can make you shat your pants through the screen.

4. Gary Oldman - Meantime (1983) First time I saw him and I knew he was gonna be huge. Problem with this guy is they aren't giving him enough quality roles. He's magic.

5. Ummmm... I'll go for Joan Crawford - Mildred Pierce and Queen Bee. Like the others I picked she oozes charisma. To me that means you look at her on screen and nobody else.

Damn, I'm at 5 already. I must have more.

Guy Pearce - was in a soap called Neighbours. Hardly noticed him till he played a dandy cad in the Count of Monte Christo, then was excellent in Memento and LA Confidential. Brilliant.

Toby Jones - Give him some good roles like he had playing Truman Capote in Infamous and he'll blow us away.

Juliette Lewis - Natural Born Killers, Cape Fear. So good she's insane.

Ryu Seung-beom (Korean) - The Unjust, Crying Fist. Brilliant actor. Another chameleon.

Won Bin (korean) - Mother, Brotherhood, The Man From Nowhere. Very, very pretty young man but he can flipping act alongside the greatest.

Robert DeNiro - Been said already.

Russell Crowe - ditto

Kevin Spacey never fails to impress. LA Confidential and American Beauty.

Tim Roth - Meantime (1983) same as I said about Gary Oldman.
Just a shame Phil Daniels didn't go HUGE like they did because he was the star of that movie, and Quadrophenia. Cocky little git.

Al Pacino - did I mention my son looks like him? lol

Edit to add - every one TodoMedio mentioned >>>reply to post by TodoMedio

How could I forget Mr Phoenix. My god, that performance in Gladiator is one of the greatest of all time.

edit on 10-10-2011 by wigit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   
5. Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Ironically the movie 'Along Came Polly' is what got me into liking this guy, he played the obnoxious best friend role perfectly. He's been great in everything I've seen him in.

4. Emma Stone
-She's smart, cute, and hilarious, 'Superbad' brought me here. Probably my only celebrity crush. She was at her best in 'Easy A' I thought.

3. Paul Rudd
- Hilarious, dry and sarcastic. Started paying attention due to 'Knocked Up.'

2. Paul Kaye - If anyone here has seen the movie 'It's All Gone Pete Tong' then they would know haha, guy is phenomenal. (imo)

1. Rhys Darby - He's been in a few movies, most notably 'Yes Man" which was an ok movie, he really stole the show in that one as Jim Carey's boss. But the show 'Flight of the Conchords' had me laughing for months, and his work as Murray Hewit, the band manager had a lot to do with it.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
1. Vin Diesel Pitch Black
2. Gerad Butler The 300
3 Bruce Willis Armageddon
4 Bruce Willis Die Hard Quadrilogy
5 Godzilla Godzilla Movies.

<< 1   >>

join