It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD Commisioner Ray Kelly admits to having anti aircraft capability

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
In an interview with Scott Pelley on the CBS new show "60 MINUTES" NYPD policwe commissioner Raymond
Kelly admitted to having an anti aircraft capability to be used in extreme situations

The NYPD now has anti-aircraft capability.

New York Police Commissioner Ray Kelly tells "60 Minutes" that the NYPD has "some means to take down a plane" in what he termed an "extreme situation," during an interview tonight on CBS, according to a transcript of the exchange.

Under fire by some for police counterterrorism tactics highlighted in a series of Associated Press articles, Kelly doesn't elaborate to interviewer Scott Pelley exactly how cops could take down a plane, but when asked point-blank whether the police have the equipment and training to pull off such a feat, Kelly responds, "Yes"

"Do you mean to say that the NYPD has the means to take down an aircraft?" Pelley asks.

To which Kelly responds: "Yes, I prefer not to get into the details but obviously this would be in a very extreme situation."

"You have the equipment and the training," Pelley follows up.

"Yes," Kelly answers.

Read more: www.nypost.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
What I thought was interesting was the video surveillance they had.They are watching everything! Can't imagine what the govt. has at their disposal

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Nice catch!! I just read this too!! Why is the NYPD in the Middle East? What weaponry do they have to take down an aircraft? And why is the NYPD building a troop-like army in NYC??? This is scary....they are preparing for an event folks...it may not be in NY but they are definitely preparing for something ala Operation Mountain Guardian!! Prepare your family and friends no matter what state they live in!!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by thedman

Why would the NYPD want to shoot down American planes ???

Afraid of some noobs with small knives owning the whole system again ??

Interesting policy change indeed.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomKnight

they are preparing for an event folks

Oh you really think so? Like perhaps a terrorist attack
edit on 25-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

How can they be preparing for a terrorist attack when they are the terrorist. They also have submarines. I am not sure what they are so worried about protecting? Maybe wallstreet? Maybe the UN? Maybe their own butts? Personally I believe it just more paranoia because the entire bunch knows what they are gulty of and they won't get away with it forever.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Bringing down a plane in NY would be a messy situation

They seem to have a presence everywhere, they said on 60 Minutes that they're even in Toronto. They're everywhere!
I would think they're only watching for happenings, listening for possible threats outside of New York, but I could be wrong

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well, it has, after all, been confirmed that the NYPD and CIA are working together on certain issues.

www.foxnews.com...

I suppose its all tied into a "counter terrorism" agenda, but I keep thinking about Obama mentioning a million man civillian force a few years ago
www.americanthinker.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

A false flag event is on the horizon

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
This story boggles the mind, why have armed forces when the police are this well armed?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomKnight

Nice catch!! I just read this too!! Why is the NYPD in the Middle East? What weaponry do they have to take down an aircraft?

As found on 9/'11 fighter coverage was rather thin - on that date only 14 aircraft were on alert at 7 bases

Its a big country and trying to cover it 24/7 would be expensive and wear out men and equipment

Even then would only have a few minutes to take out a hijacked or rouge aircraft coming toward NYC

Odds of having a fighter available to intercept are small

NYPD has apparently made decision that in extreme situation as a last ditch would need to have capability
of shooting down such an aircraft

Presumed weaponary would probably be something in the STINGER category

en.wikipedia.org...

Probably kept by a few ESU (Emergency Service Units - aka SWAT Teams) anti terrorist units

Another possibility is that the NYPD helicopter force can be fitted with air launch version of the Stinger for
rapid response

en.wikipedia.org...

Question is whether the helicopters have been modified with mounting points for the launchers and software
to fire them

Since 9/11 the department has undertaken a major overhaul of the Aviation Unit. Once equipped exclusively with Bell helicopters, it recently re-equipped its fleet with seven Agusta A 119 Koala helicopters. The centerpiece is a $9.8 million "unmarked" helicopter, which can fly at night without lights. However, this function will require approval from the Federal Aviation Administration and local Air Traffic Control on a case-by-case basis, due to the hazards it could present in the heavily congested New York air corridors. The department has also purchased a state-of-the-art helicopter flight simulator, so officers can practice flying without actually having to take up a helicopter.[4]

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by thedman

Additional information - weapon Commissioner Kelly was referring to is apparaently .50 Barrett semi-auto
rifle fired from helicopter

Neither Bloomberg nor Kelly would specify what weapons the NYPD has its disposal. Many believe New York's top cop was referring to the helicopter-mounted Barrett .50 caliber rifle, known since 2005 to be in the city's counter-terrorism arsenal.

The Barrett, a high-powered sniper rifle, could easily disable a car, truck or small plane, and is often used by the Coast Guard to stop boats carrying drugs, but it likely could not take down a large commercial passenger jet, like those flown into the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

To shoot down a large jet, the NYPD would almost certainly need to use a missile or a large caliber machine gun. The NYPD would not confirm to ABC News, which weapons Bloomberg and Kelly were referring to, or were in the city's arsenal.

Wonder if they have this type of ammo

Raufoss (Nato MK 211) .50 Browning AP-HEI (Armour Piercing - High Explosive Incendiary)

The multipurpose name is based on the projectile having an armor-piercing (tungsten core), an explosive, and an incendiary component, thus making it capable of penetrating lightly armored targets and causing damage to personnel inside the target after penetration. It is a suitable round for engaging helicopters, aircraft and lightly armored vehicles, as well as unarmored vehicles, and it is capable of igniting jet fuel. The Mk.211 has about the same destructive power as a standard 20 mm round against such targets.[5]

The Mk 211 is a very popular .50 caliber sniper round, used in the Barrett M82 rifle, as well as other .50 BMG rifles.[5] It is also often used in heavy machine guns, for example the M2 Browning. Due to its popularity several U.S. arms manufacturers produce the round under license from NAMMO

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
On September 11, 2001 I was leaving work near Allegheney County's Emergency Management Center, I looked up at the roof and saw some heavily armed people. Several were carying MP-5 and M-16 varients, but I also saw what looked like a Stinger missile launcher. I do not know if the people were Police or Military, but, I'm fairly sure that I saw the IFF antennae of a Stinger launcher.

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

Problem is civilian airliners dont have IFF transponders

How to discriminate a hijacked aircraft from other traffic is issue - on 9/11 ATC had problems trying pick out
hijacks from normal air traffic cluiter

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I feel a 50 cal would do a nice job on a jet engine. The Air Force has used them for decades on fighters for use against other aircraft.

A plane without engines is not likely to finish it's mission.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Also while .50 round might be effective against light aircraft on kamikaze mission, doubt could inflict enough
damage to bring down something as big as jet airliner

Other issue is getting firing position on jet airliner from helicopter - speed differential

Helicopter 130 knots (175 mph) flat out vs 450-500 for dving airliner

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedman

Problem is civilian airliners dont have IFF transponders

How to discriminate a hijacked aircraft from other traffic is issue - on 9/11 ATC had problems trying pick out
hijacks from normal air traffic cluiter

Actually they do. Most of your airliners are considered assets of the Civilian Reserve Air Fleet. Their regular transponders can double as IFF transponders, once the encrypted codes are entered. My point in mentioning the IFF antennae was that it is a distinctive component of the Stinger launcher and it is what attracted my attention that day.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Yes - am aware of the IFF interrogater mounted on top

Was not aware that CRAF aircraft transponders could be configured to squawk an IFF ciode

Learn something new .....

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by thedman

Also while .50 round might be effective against light aircraft on kamikaze mission, doubt could inflict enough
damage to bring down something as big as jet airliner

I wish we had an airline mech on here. I'm quite sure a 50 cal would sever turbine blades. If one blade breaks the debris will break others as it flows through. One engine out would create an asimetrical thrust condition. Asimetrical thrust would likely overwhelm the pilots from 911.

The speed differential is assuming they use a traditional Bell helo. There are others (Blackhawk) that will do over 200mph. Who says they don't have a plane set up for this purpose?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Here is an article where a pilot shot himself down.

His engine injested his own bullets in a high speed dive.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join