It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dark Matters: Twisted but true..... on science channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Dark Matters article by NY Times

Normally, “Dark Matters: Twisted but True,” a cornball documentary series starting on Wednesday on the Science Channel that tells unsavory stories of scientific research, wouldn’t merit much attention. It’s a standard show of its kind, relating urban legends, conspiracy theories and sensational more-or-less-true stories with the help of cheap special effects and hilariously cheesy re-creations.

I just got to say wow.....

then I read the ny times article further...

The first episode of “Dark Matters” on Wednesday night contains three reports, ranging from a predictably coy treatment of a well-known outright hoax (the supposed teleportation of a ship by the Navy, known as the Philadelphia Experiment) to a fairly straightforward take on an interesting and obscure piece of history, Thomas Edison’s unseemly role in the development of the electric chair.

wow even more... disinformation...the hoax with no explanation as to why it is a hoax (by the NY times)....

The show covered some interesting topics...

The philidelphia experiment...

ape-men soviets

and thomas edison and the chair....

of the host is Noble from fringe...

then it seems another set of episodes here is a taste
episode 2

episode3

If i didnt know better id say the producers are members here
edit on 25-9-2011 by ripcontrol because: because you need me... lmeao.....

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

wow even more... disinformation...the hoax with no explanation as to why it is a hoax (by the NY times)....

So the NY times is disinfo but a show that presents it's subject matter in a corny and even mocking tone isn't?

I get the feeling some people think of shows like this and ancient aliens as some great altruistic crusade to bring knowledge to the people. I've got news for you they aren't. They are simply ways for media corporations to make money. Even if every single thing on them was true it would still only be about money.

For a forum of people who consider the MSM to be evil we sure are quick to believe it when it confirms our personal beliefs.

Just so you know the guy who owns the science channel is the same guy who owns TLC. Which brings us such top of the line hard hitting entertainment as Toddlers in Tiaras and Trading Spaces.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
the guy who owns the science channel is the same guy who owns TLC.

REALLY ?
I thing the TLC turned into the lady channel .

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hbarker
the guy who owns the science channel is the same guy who owns TLC.

REALLY ?
I thing the TLC turned into the lady channel .

He is just trying to corner the market on mind sludge for both sexes.

Apparently he owns part of OWN too.
edit on 25-9-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

I am not gonna disagree with that...

the corniest part seems to be the intro.... but it was the first time I heard of stalin's ape army.....

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

the corniest part seems to be the intro....

I don't know every scene seemed to be coated in a thick layer of irony. Especially noticeable in the hammed up bad acting. Did you see the part where the guy kisses the satellite? I almost fell off my chair laughing.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
The dramatizations are terrible, but I don't get the impression that the subject matter is being presented in a mocking fashion. It presents a more skeptical tone than I expected, but it hasn't discounted any of the stories as fakes.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   

The dramatizations are terrible, but I don't get the impression that the subject matter is being presented in a mocking fashion.

The actors are hamming it up to the moon but I don't think it is because they are terrible at acting. I think it is due to a combination of the script and director advising them to play the situation for laughs. This strikes me as bizarre since the show itself comes with a warning for possibly disturbing material.

Either this is done to make the show purposely in bad taste or it is done to take the piss out of the situations. Adding to my suspicions of mockery is the fact that they got that annoying guy from fringe to narrate. Who is (if I remember correctly from the two episodes of fringe I have watched) the main source of comic relief for the show.

I don't know. At least from where I am sitting the show seems to have its tongue firmly in cheek.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I watched a few of the episodes already and I must say that they are actually kinda interesting. However, the cheesy storylines remind of 1,000 Ways to Die. A little bit too dramatic and cheesy

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

mine was when they chopped off the apes heads and put it on another one..

and the ape/chimp died... they acted surprised...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MrAndy

i got that feeling as well especially when they handled Einstein's brains... and the guy just held on to it....

it may also be more with the title... twisted but true... they are showing what they think the twist is... imho

edit on 26-9-2011 by ripcontrol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by blackmetalmist

I kept think this during the first part over Philadelphia experiment's in...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Never seen this before, but I watched the first vid and and the second. It is over-dramatized and yes cheesy but it is kind of interesting.

Especially the whole planet of the apes thing. Great! but that has been done, and it would be a bit redundant, we already have a planet of the apes and it took this long for them to become planet of the hairless apes. You all don't believe me, read some of that evolution stuff, its in writing. We apparently came from an offshoot of the great apes that roamed this planet eons ago. So what would be the point of going back to a latter age in prehistory?

Really the crazy things people think of doing, and actually get funding by the governments to do.

I think I will bookmark this, who knows maybe I will watch more of it some other time, but I got like hundreds of things on my bookmarks that I have yet to read or watch, this will have to wait me thinks.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I think that if the show intended to ridicule the subject matter, they would not have scientists talking in support of it or leave each subject open to debate. I think the awful dramatizations are either a result of a low budget with poor writing or its meant to resemble early science fiction. And I have no comment for the poster who insulted an accomplished actor like John Noble.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

And I have no comment for the poster who insulted an accomplished actor like John Noble.

The only thing he has accomplished is making me turn off fringe everytime it comes on. Then again that wooden block of a leading lady didn't help either.

Seriously The guy's only role of note is being Lord Dinnerfork from lord of the rings. Those two(or was it three?) scenes he was in didn't exactly scream memorable.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

I have been watching it, and have my DVR set for a series recoding. I love "Walter," don't remember his real name. Lots of real information! Things we don't know about. Love it!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

(Quote from From the NY Times article)

The first episode of “Dark Matters” on Wednesday night contains three reports, ranging from a predictably coy treatment of a well-known outright hoax (the supposed teleportation of a ship by the Navy, known as the Philadelphia Experiment) to a fairly straightforward take on an interesting and obscure piece of history,

I can assure you that the Philadelphia Experiment happened, perhaps we don't know all of the story, but there are many witnesses and too much documentation. And from that experiment came Project Rainbow. My own Father was involved with that, he was in Naval Intelligence. That project was wrong in so many ways.

new topics

top topics

join