It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America becoming the new Britain?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

Product placement is making inroads on the old BBC. Advertising by stealth, just like a lot of our taxation is by sstealth. The ops question was is the US become more like the UK and I would say the answer to that is no, the UK is becoming more like the US. We are becoming a nation of fat ignorant consumers.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

i dont think America knows how much England is Taxed atm.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Like 60% of the cost of fuel being tax? Like some 90% of the cost of tobacco being tax? Beer tax? Oh and don't forget to add 20% VAT on top of whatever tax you're already paying.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Apparently there is a law that if they wanted to enforce it would make everyone who plays their cd player in their car with their window open so that passers by can hear it, have a tv/radio license as they are deemed to be broadcasting to the public. Also in the workplace with no tv's if they are playing a radio and a member of the public can walk in and hear it they need a tv license.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jaxjax

You're refering to performing rights which isn't a licensing issue. If you want to play music to members of the public you must pay a fee to some group (PRS iirc) that represents artists of the music industry. No such crap for tv as anyone using one for live broadcasts must have a valid tv license anyway.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Yes Quackers you are right it is the PRS people who have been harassing us to get a license
but so far we have been denying everything and paying nothing. We all pay for our TV licenses so to me this
is as much as we are prepared for them to squeeze out of us.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
You dont need a TV licence, dont let them in, tell them you dont have a tv, they cant check, you are under no obligation to give them your name. Better yet dont answer the door.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
The USA became the new UK following WW2. The UK went broke paying for the 2nd industrial war in 50 years and lost the empire. The UK has been living in a credit funded fantasy for many years.

The USA took over the imperial mantle and benefited hugely from being one of the few industrialised countries that wasn't ravaged by the war.

The USA is now broke due to its own imperial over reach and is badly needing to go through the same period of retrenchment and adjustment as the UK did in the post war years. Unfortunately there is no easy choice for the baton to be handed to (fascist china not withstanding) and an almost total unwillingness to admit reality.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUnseenEye

America is taking our NHS idea where your national insurance is taken directly out of your wages so there is no cost of you need to go to hospital.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
There are 2 other choices for the baton, and that's India and Brazil. Considering how much backing various US leaders have in Brazil (oil, people were fussing about Obama's links to Brazilian oil companies when he put the moratorium on deep water drilling), and the lack of talk about Brazil, I'd say that there's contention with China for the spot. Dunno much about our links to India.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
We get to own guns, and ammo...
So, in that regard I'd say no, we're not becoming the New Britain. If that were to be taken away, I'm pretty sure we'd stand up and fight for that basic right to defend ourselves, at least I would.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

we cant own guns in the UK, but only because for the past god knows how many years our government have been afraid of an uprising, and if we dont have guns its going to be very easy to control that sort of situation

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Well you've got BBC 1, 1 HD, 2, 3, BBC HD, BBC Alba, and countless radio stations. I wish there was a way to not receive all BBC stations, and get around licensing, but since it's a billion pound income for them, there's no way they'd drop it

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Ya for sure but remember we have always been under British control thru the money.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

We can own guns, its just that the process of legaly owning a firearm is far more complicated than in the US where any inbred redneck retard can own as many as they like. Not that I'm for outright gun control but we at least attempt to determine a persons competence first.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join