It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America becoming the new Britain?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Just to clear things up when I say becoming new Britain I mean the Britain during the time of the American Revolution as in taxing everything in the Colonies.

After learning in high school about politics it seems to me that we are going the opposite direction that the founders of this great country wanted us to go.

They wanted less government and less taxation, but today it seems that the government just keeps getting bigger, and taxes keep growing to pay for everything too,and its hard to abolish this trend with the iron triangles that we learned about (Congrss, bureacracy, and interest group).

How do you think our founding fathers would react to our nation today? Would they revolt a second time?

Let me here your thoughts. Thanks

Also excuse me if there is another thread like this, I searched through recent threads and I haven't seen one so I posted thise.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Your forgeting that the UK has,

Police with no guns
NHS free for everyone
Social housing
Social benifits (DLA, job seekers, Incapacity, Income support)
Free Prescription's
Free education unitl Degree level.
And we British are more respected by our peers, sorry but sometimes the truth hurts.
No executions

Not saying we British are better than any country but please dont try and pull us down with you

edit on 25-9-2011 by michaelmcclen because: Education system failed to teach me to check my grammar =)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think all nations follow a similar route at some point of picking the pockets of their populations. I do wonder if it is a obsessive compulsive disorder that goes with running a country?

tho on a wider note.. given the empirical baton passed from Britain to the US I do have to wonder how many other similarities there are and if the US was ever to lose it's empirical status I hope the baton is passed to a friendly(ish) nation rather than lost in war to an unfriendly one.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen

Police with no guns
NHS free for eveyone
Social housing
Free Prescription's
And we British are more respected by our peers, sorry but sometimes the truth hurts.
No executions

Not saying we British are better than any country but please dont try and pull us down with you

Bingo, and you're forgetting my dear English friend. No rednecks waving around guns to shoot me! You have the chavs!

My family used to live in Cardiff, it was awesome, fresh half clean air, good old british fish and chips and now we're here.........we should've stayed put!
edit on 25-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by michaelmcclen

I am not saying anything bad my friend about the UK, in fact I have family members over in Britain and I love the culture in the people. I was comparing modern United States with 1700's Britain.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Ah the UK such a funny little island. When they thought the world was Europe it seemed of such importance, of course as the world grew and changed that stature shrunk accordingly. Nothing left there but a bloated sense of self lingering like the stench of a dead fish after a hot day in the sun.

Time to pull the old yearbook out and remember when.....

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Haha, Wales is a completly diffrent life style than anywhere. People from the valleys always deserve respect
so easy going and relaxed same as the rest of us Celts.

If only the N.Irish, Irish, Scottish and Welsh rulled the world, it would be a much greater place to live

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TheUnseenEye

but we still get a hell of a lot of tax in the UK, so its not all great lol

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaveNorris
reply to post by TheUnseenEye

but we still get a hell of a lot of tax in the UK, so its not all great lol

HMRC

Direct taxes - paid by you or your business on money you earn or capital you gain.

* Capital Gains Tax.
* Corporation Tax.
* Income Tax.
* Inheritance Tax.
* National Insurance Contributions.

Indirect taxes - paid by you or your business on money spent on goods or services.

* Excise duties.
* Insurance Premium Tax.
* Petroleum Revenue Tax.
* Stamp Duty.
* Stamp Duty Land Tax.
* Stamp Duty Reserve Tax.
* VAT.

We pay and administer:

* Child Benefit
* Child Trust Fund
* Tax Credits.

We protect you by enforcing and administering:

* Border and frontier protection
* Environmental taxes
* National Minimum Wage enforcement
* Recovery of student loans.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Heartisblack

Haha, Wales is a completly diffrent life style than anywhere. People from the valleys always deserve respect
so easy going and relaxed same as the rest of us Celts.

If only the N.Irish, Irish, Scottish and Welsh rulled the world, it would be a much greater place to live

Cymry am byth! I love Wales, If the Welsh ruled the world......lord have mercy. Perfect bliss.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

i agree with the tax in principle, but how much of it ends up in the pockets of politians and the people high up in the councils, wether its in wages or expence accounts.

my local council
this shows the official salaries of my local council 'high ups' and god knows how many 'under the table' deals they do.
how can they justify a 5 or 6 figure salary in times like these, when the people at the bottom are either being layed off or paid minimum wage

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Let's not forget the television tax and the odd fact that some social security benefits are themselves, taxable.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Police with no guns
NHS free for everyone
Social housing
Free Prescription's
No executions

edit on 25-9-2011 by michaelmcclen because: Education system failed to teach me to check my grammar =)

My husband is in the hospital and we have no health insurance. He is expected to be here for 5 more days. ummm....the USA looks like a third world country in my opinion. For many, it simply is. My ancestors are British. Can I come home now?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by quackers

TV tax?
You mean the TV license? Enforced by the BBC because they didn't advertise on their channels... not really a tax I don't think?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

dont even get me started on the tv license.
it made sense when tvs were first sold commercially as the bbc was the only network you could recieve in britain, but now its outdated.
you have to pay to own a tv, all the money goes to the bbc so they can pay their 'stars' millions, what if i dont watch the bbc? what if i only use my tv to watch dvds and play xbox? they should make the bbc a subscription service, so if you use it you pay for it.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

what if i only use my tv to watch dvds and play xbox? they should make the bbc a subscription service, so if you use it you pay for it.

Was a time in my life, back in the good old days of 2005, I remember it like it was yesterday.
Anyway, I didn't have an arial for my TV and didn't have Sky, and a TV licence guy came to the door to find out why I didn't have one.
Even though I couldn't receive ANY channels on my TV, I got read my rights, and told to get my TV 'detuned' so it was incapable of receiving any transmissions. Even though I only played Xbox on it.
Thats what happens. You get treated like a criminal, and have to fork over to get your TV mangled. And then when you want to watch it again, you have to get it retuned.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lulzaroonie

TV tax?
You mean the TV license? Enforced by the BBC because they didn't advertise on their channels... not really a tax I don't think?

The Office Of National Statistics considers it, by its very nature, a tax. It is therefore a tax and has been reclassified as such. We must pay for the privilage of watching live television be it on the beeb or any commercial channel.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

TV tax?

they dont advertise on the bbc
have you watched the bbc channels?
they are like 30% adverts, 30% repeats, 30% crap and about 10% quality programming

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

TV tax?

they dont advertise on the bbc
have you watched the bbc channels?
they are like 30% adverts, 30% repeats, 30% crap and about 10% quality programming

Yes but remember no commercial advertising or ad breaks during programms.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

still not worth the £150 a year or what ever it is i pay for services i hardly use lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join