It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico City Sinking Into the Earth-

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curious and Concerned

Originally posted by AllUrChips
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Uh thats why I asked if this were possible I didnt say it was going to happen checkitty check yo self

Uh, I did "checkitty check" my self, and came to the conclusion that there was no reason to suggest that a large sinkhole would swallow the city. Although there may be a (very) remote possiblity, I think it is highly unlikely. Not sure what kind of answer you were expecting?

You have got to be...... ah nevermind you are so uneducated it could not be any
Then what are you even arguing about?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I would enter a duel of wits with you but that would be like fighting an unarmed man.....................

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

You have got to be...... ah nevermind you are so uneducated it could not be any
Then what are you even arguing about?

And you attack others for their "schwarmy little comments".

I guess I should have been a little clearer in my first post. Based on our current understanding, it is highly, highly unlikely that the whole city could dissappear in a giant sinkhole. I refrain from saying anything with absolute certainty, as our current understanding may be challenged, but its pretty close.

Could the city be affected by gradual subsidence and sinkholes that don't swallow the whole city? If the current rate of groundwater depletion continues, then yes. That is what I was pointing out in my original post, as I wasn't sure if you understood what the source article was saying based on the alarmism in your opening sentences. I apologise if I misunderstood what it was you wanted me to "checkity check". It may have been due to my inferior education

I know WTF is happening to our world yo? lol

Perhaps educating one's self, instead of attacking other peoples education will lead to enlightenment.

edit on 26/9/11 by Curious and Concerned because: delete excessive quote

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
i thought this was an overexagerration until hearing the widespread individual reports and testimonials on various span tv networks, with residents showing their home literally sinking into the ground and tiles, foundations cracking and falling into the earth!

and heres the latest i can find..

sept 26, 2011: "MEXICO CONTINUES TO SINK - AND IS GETTING WORSE!

www.hispanicallyspeakingnews.com...

"It is estimated that in the last one hundred years or so, areas of the world’s third largest metropolis have sunk up to 42 feet (13 meters). As parts of the city sink, fissures and cracks occur, and they have caused a number of accidents in residential areas and immense damage to buildings, highways, roads and public infrastructure, including sewer lines that are now so slanted that they actually run backwards."

the conclusion so far is they cant keep up with the insurging water table, pumps galore and all. and the sinkholes are getting huger, too. but, mexico is not the only place this sinkin into below sea level has begun to happen/worsen..

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
the conclusion so far is they cant keep up with the insurging water table, pumps galore and all. and the sinkholes are getting huger, too. but, mexico is not the only place this sinkin into below sea level has begun to happen/worsen..

It is interesting to see how water has been managed throughout history around what is now Mexico City. It seems that the Aztecs thought more about water management than we do today. Since their demise, Mexico City has been prone to flooding. But I got the impression that recently they were not only keeping up with the insurging water table, but depleting it faster than it was flowing in. This is the cause for the worsening subsidence, as the water table is dropping.

Mexico City, which 500 years ago was a city of marvelous canals, currently has a serious water problem. More than 60% of its water comes from the exploitation of deep wells sunk into its subterranean aquifers. Rainfall is only able to recharge about 1/3rd of the water extracted each year. Thus, the aquifers are losing water rapidly and receding farther and farther from ground level. This “mining of water” from the aquifer has resulted in severe subsidence problems in Mexico City. The wells must be sunk deeper every year and more energy must be used to pump the needed water to the surface.

Excerpt from Geo-Mexico: the geography and dynamics of modern Mexico, by Richard Rhoda and Tony Burton (Sombrero Books, 2010)

Also, I thought I'd point out that Mexico City is far from sinking below sea level. It is at least two kilometres above sea level at its lowest point, and surrounded by mountains. The mountains have made it problematic for sewerage transportation, as it needs to be pumped out of the valley. Hopefully they don't get any serious failures in their sewerage system as it could flow back into the city and cause major pollution problems.

It is worrying that one of the worlds largest cities is built on an area that should not be supporting a large population. I certainly won't be moving to Mexico City any time soon. I feel that their problems are only going to get worse, unless they find a way to better manage their water resources.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join