It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico City Sinking Into the Earth-

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This would be tlhe single greatest tradgedy EVER if this city just dissapeared in a giant sinkhole. Maybe the government should start trying to relocate these people if that is even possible! After hearing things like this sure makes me glad I live in COLORADO. This really is paradise imo
Anyways I am just wondering if anybody may know on here if this is possible say for the whole city to just get swallowed by a sinkhole? There seems to be alot of this kind of activity in this region.theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hell no.

That is un-freaking-believeable! What the hell is going on ? Makes me glad I don't live there, you were right on that one. That would be a nightmare. I'd run if I saw things tilting like that.
edit on 25-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Hmm it seems somebody didn't think that through very well.

On a side note, does anybody here remember a video of japan having some problems with the ground shifting as if it was liquid? And if so, has anybody heard more about that incident?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Headshot
post removed by staff

Yes I do hear that but WTF is goin on? Sure makes you glad we dont really worry about that stuff up here in N. america
edit on 25-9-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-9-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Sep 25 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

On a side note, does anybody here remember a video of japan having some problems with the ground shifting as if it was liquid? And if so, has anybody heard more about that incident?

I know WTF is happening to our world yo? lol

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

I know WTF is happening to our world yo? lol

Although sinkholes aren't a new occurrence, I do believe we've been experience quite a few more instances of major sink holes in the past 2 years. I remember hearing about one that took out a city block in either Guatemala or Venezuela. These are interesting times we live in.

Good luck all Keep looking up, and keep looking down!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

No mystery there.

Mexico city was built on the remains of a now dry lake. [clay] The original Aztec Capital was located on an island in the middle of that lake where the Aztecs had their main center of power when the Spaniards first came upon the location. Subsequent generations have drained the location and expanded on it. This is why Earthquakes there have been so destructive.

The whole area shakes like a bowl of jello and is very unstable.

edit on 25-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

No mystery there.

Mexico city was built on the remains of a now dry lake. The original Aztec city was located on an island in the middle of that lake where the Aztecs had their main center of power when the Spaniards first came upon the location. Subsequent generations have drained the location and expanded on it. This is why Earthquakes have been so destructive. The whole area shakes like a bowl of jello.

The whole area is unstable.

edit on 25-9-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Wow I did not know that! Very scary imo

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yep, the whole Mexico city or central location is built over what was lake Texcoco, it was the once great capital Tenochtitlan of the ancient Aztec empire.

Tenochtitlan (Classical Nahuatl: Tenōchtitlān [tenoːtʃˈtitɬaːn]) (sometimes also known as Mexico Tenochtitlan or Tenochtitlan Mexico) was a Nahua altepetl (city-state) located on an island in Lake Texcoco, in the Valley of Mexico. Founded in 1325, it became the capital of the abounding Aztec Empire in the 15th century,[1] until captured by the Spanish in 1521. When paired with Mexico the name is a reference to Mexica, the people of the surrounding Aztec heartland. It subsequently became a cabecera of the Viceroyalty of New Spain, and today the ruins of Tenochtitlan are located in the central part of Mexico City.

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 25-9-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: clarity

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Build hundreds of thousands of buildings, underground subways, basements/sub-basements, etc, all concentrated into a relatively small geographical location... and then populate it with millions of people, their cars and other goods... on top of unstable, soft, dry, cracked, and/or marshy land surfaces... and what the heck do you expect ?

Far from some people's belief, we do not live on a solid rock.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
To prevent sinking, we here in the soup that is coastal LA, USA, go for foundation shoring. I think the best operation on the market is the Cable-Lock system, but don't quote me on that.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   

This would be tlhe single greatest tradgedy EVER if this city just dissapeared in a giant sinkhole.

If this occured, then it would be a significant tragedy. However, there is nothing in your source article that suggests that this would occur. The ground is gradually subsiding due to water extraction, and does not subside evenly causing buildings to lean. I'm not saying there will not be massive sinkholes, but the article does not jump to this conclusion.

Although sinkholes aren't a new occurrence, I do believe we've been experience quite a few more instances of major sink holes in the past 2 years. I remember hearing about one that took out a city block in either Guatemala or Venezuela. These are interesting times we live in.

Sinkholes (also known as 'tomo' here in NZ) are certainly not a new occurence, although recently they seem to be mentioned more frequently in ATS threads. While they have always occured naturally, they can be caused or accelerated by human activity. They are likely to occur more frequently with aging piping and underground infrastructure.

The recent sinkhole in Guatemala was likely caused by burst sewer pipes or storm drains after tropical storm Agatha. It is similiar to one that formed in 2007 in the same area. Guatemala City has an aging sewer infrastructure deep beneath the ground, and it appears they are unable to properly maintain it due to costs.

Guatemala Sinkhole Created by Humans, Not Nature

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

I'm not sure if you are talking about a specific incident, but I believe you are reffering to liquefaction. This can occur in some soils during strong earthquakes, and can turn the ground into a liquid like state due to vibrations. This occured extensively in some Christchurch suburbs during recent quakes, causing sinkholes and 'mud volcanoes' to form. There are many photos of this phenomena.

Different soil types can exacerbate this phenomena, such as alluvial and sedimentary deposits. Liquefaction can severely damage building foundations and it sure makes a big mess. I fear that Mexico City would not fare well during a large magnitude earthquake.

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Far from some people's belief, we do not live on a solid rock.

I couldn't agree more

edit on 25/9/11 by Curious and Concerned because: fix link

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
im from Mexico and this is true but no one cares, even the president of Mexico lives there. really, people from here never care about anything until it happens.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
it surprises me sometimes on how little people know about history....people should research more before getting all worked up and posting things here to get other people worked up....when most people already know that mexico city is sinking because they stole the indians land

oh well, thats what happens when you drain a whole lake and then build on it

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Uh thats why I asked if this were possible I didnt say it was going to happen checkitty check yo self

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Goradd
it surprises me sometimes on how little people know about history....people should research more before getting all worked up and posting things here to get other people worked up....when most people already know that mexico city is sinking because they stole the indians land

oh well, thats what happens when you drain a whole lake and then build on it

Who got worked up? I am seriously sooooooooo sick and tired of people like you and your shwarmy little comments. I asked a valid question quit tryin to get stars with your sarcastic little remarks at least on this thread. cya

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Uh thats why I asked if this were possible I didnt say it was going to happen checkitty check yo self

Uh, I did "checkitty check" my self, and came to the conclusion that there was no reason to suggest that a large sinkhole would swallow the city. Although there may be a (very) remote possiblity, I think it is highly unlikely. Not sure what kind of answer you were expecting?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

U lost the movement.....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join