learn more

Need Tips for Getting in SERIOUS Shape!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Hey ATS!
First off, I consider myself to be in moderate shape, but I'm looking to take myself to the next level, BEYOND what I think is capable of my physical and mental self. That's where you guys come in.

If there are any fitness guru's out there, please advise. I'm pretty lean for the most part. 5' 8" and 160 lbs.

Please post any and all insight on training tips, whether it's aerobic, stamina, weight training (I want to get out of buying a gym membership if I can).

I know somewhat about dieting and nutrition, but tips there are appreciated as well! Thanks for helping me out guys!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

Tell me your goals and I'll help you

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

In the classic lines of Bluto from Animal House.

"Drink more beer."

At least you'll be Apple or Pear Shaped!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I've helped people lose over 100 lbs in around 6 months time, no exercise required.

I showed them a few documentaries online first, then helped them restructure their eating habits and types of foods they normally bought and consumed.

First step to better health is to change what's in your head and in your heart, as in how you think about food and how you feel about yourself.

- No more fast foods or sodas, at all.
- Light to no sugars (except fruit sugars) in your beverages, like coffee.
- Eat all the meat you want, no vegetarian stuff needed but it does help speed up weight loss.
- Put down the shovel and use a spoon! Eat moderate portions, not until you feel full all the time.
- Skip breakfasts, if you need to eat, have a banana or an orange/apple. Large breakfasts = weight gain.
- Eat more tree nuts for protein
- And try to limit yourself to 2 meals per day, or a light lunch (sandwich & pickle) and a decent size dinner.

When you know what's in the foods you eat, your mind will automatically adjust and you will stop craving that toxic poison that your bodies' have become addicted to.

Sit back and enjoy the results.
If you want definition and tone, do lots of chores around the house if you can't afford a gym membership.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
P90X would be where I would start.
Or the Insanity Workout.
You definately want to look into muscle confusion. Where you don't get your body used to working out so you don't plateu.

and check this out. en.wikipedia.org...
I'm going to try to look into getting some of this. It's a psuedo grain that has protein!
That should be excellent for building muscle. And it's an excellent substitute for rice.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Join a martial art. I joined Capoeira and the workouts are killer >.< Boxing is also really good for strength training, swimming is probably the best and healthiest form of exercise. Only problem is that not everyone has access to a pool or lake, whereas a martial art or boxing can be practiced anywhere.

My classes were 1 hour twice a week, so I wasn't even hardcore working out everyday, but even after 6 months I could see changes in my physique. Arms, thighs, chest were bigger. Face was leaner.

We did everything from 1500 pushups, to endless wall-sits, to doing hand stand pushups, tons and tons of squats, lots and lots of stretching, lots of plank exercises, it's killer but oh so worth it! I also got into weight lifting.

For eating, if you're gonna do a hard workout you want to eat at least 2-3 hours before your workout. Otherwise you're going to be in a lot of pain. Even chugging a protein shake prior to a workout will make you not feel that great. So yeah, try to eat as long before your workout without being hungry during your workout.

Fresh fruit is awesome! I feel like you can never eat enough fresh fruit. Rice and Beans are really great for filling you up with energy. Bananas are great to go, and walnuts with bananas give you the rights amount of vitamins and minerals when eaten together and it tastes great too. Baked chicken is also really good, you don't want to eat anything that's been fried or has lots of oil. No more greasy Chinese food in your diet. No more Chorizo Quesadillas, haha. Fruits nuts and vegetables are best. Even though it doesn't taste good if you don't want to eat meat in your diet, because red meat is terrible for you, quinoa is the highest protein-packed grain food, with the right balance of amino acids your body needs.
edit on 9/25/2011 by Xaberz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

I agree with everything there except not eating breakfast in the morning.
You should load up on your calories early during the day rather than later so you can have evergy and also so you can burn off those calories earlier rather than later.

Other than that you're spot on.
Protien and complex carbs are what you should be eating in order to lose weight.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

Martial arts is the best conditioning around. Simply look at some of the pics of Bruce Lee for what a martial arts training regiment will do for your body.

My Sifu (master) guided me by the following tenents:
1. Eat only what flys or swims
2. Do not use excessive weights which are hard on the joints.

The key is is to work out at an elevated heart rate for at least 45 minutes. Running or cyclings.
This way you are beginning to burn your fat stores vs simply carbohydrates in the blood stream from the last meal.

By burning the fat from your body you will develop muscle definition.

For muscularity in itself. Heavy weights are not required but what is better for strength and endurance AND muscle definition is repetitions.

Repetitions with relatively low weights. the more reps the better.
Start with 15 reps, twice for a set....and then multiply sets as your stamina and endurance builds.

But keep away from fried foods and/or any oils that coagulate/solidify at room temps.

Gotta go work out !

PEACE

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
P90X would be where I would start.
Or the Insanity Workout.
You definately want to look into muscle confusion. Where you don't get your body used to working out so you don't plateu.

and check this out. en.wikipedia.org...
I'm going to try to look into getting some of this. It's a psuedo grain that has protein!
That should be excellent for building muscle. And it's an excellent substitute for rice.

P90X has injured quite a few people who thought they were in shape. Even killed a couple, because they didn't know when to quit. I once was a victim...lol. Didn't kill me, and I even slowed it down my half, but after a week, I knew I had to get in better shape before starting that regime again.

I like the TRX system at a beginning level as it uses your own body weight, as well as Cardio exercises...then work up to the P90X.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I actually disagree with the majority of that, eating breakfast is a must to be healthy, I'm not saying a full English but something healthy like scrambled eggs on wholemeal toast and a Banana. I wouldn't advise anyone to eat "as much meat as they want", depends completely on the meat they are eating and how often; variety in diet is key.

Two meals a day is also not enough or significant unless your literally sitting on the sofa all day, three meals is a must. In fact I'd recommend three smaller meals with three healthy snacks in between if at all possible....

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I lost over 70lbs in a four month period doing exactly that. Our modern day eating habits are killing us.

My rationality for doing this was I wanted to eat like how people did a hundred years back as they didn't have the obesity problems we have today.

If you don't plan on exercising at least be active.

Mind you cardio is wicked good for you. Im less tired now and it does wonders for your sex life.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I'd like to have a good balance of strength, speed, and stamina. I'm aiming for 3 meals a day with few carbs.

I figure that I'll probably replace common snack foods with nuts mostly. Chicken/fish as a main protein source. Green leafy vegetables. I LOVE peaches and bananas so that will be my fruit. I'll mostly be drinking water, orange juice, and whole milk.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

I agree with everything there except not eating breakfast in the morning.
You should load up on your calories early during the day rather than later so you can have evergy and also so you can burn off those calories earlier rather than later.

Unfortunately most people don't "load up" on anything good for breakfast. Bacon and eggs, pancakes, french toast, home fries, just lots of grease and "dead foods" which aren't going to be used as real fuel for the body. Whatever the body can't use goes into human waste and fat stored in the body.
I can get just as much energy usage out of 5 apples and 1 carrot in a juicer and drink that up verses ham and cheese omelets till I'm full.

Our bodies need foods with electricity in them, not microwaved irradiated garbage.
No microwaves allowed in my house, except for zapping the RFIDs in things.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wWizard

Just don't get obsessed with things like calorie counting and portioning. Use common sense when selecting portions and calories don't mean anything as ling as what you are eating is good for you.

Too many people obsess over this and while it can yield results it will consume your life and take the fun out of eating just about anything.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I banned those damn radiation machines in my house awhile back. It just sits there collecting dust now. I use of for the built in clock and use the timer function when sending my kids for time out lol. When it beeps they can get up.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
With regards to portion control, a fist sized amount of protein, a fist sized amount of carbs and a fist sized amount of veg/fruit at each meal

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Plus no carbs after 18:00PM

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
I've helped people lose over 100 lbs in around 6 months time, no exercise required.

I showed them a few documentaries online first, then helped them restructure their eating habits and types of foods they normally bought and consumed.

First step to better health is to change what's in your head and in your heart, as in how you think about food and how you feel about yourself.

- No more fast foods or sodas, at all.
- Light to no sugars (except fruit sugars) in your beverages, like coffee.
- Eat all the meat you want, no vegetarian stuff needed but it does help speed up weight loss.
- Put down the shovel and use a spoon! Eat moderate portions, not until you feel full all the time.
- Skip breakfasts, if you need to eat, have a banana or an orange/apple. Large breakfasts = weight gain.
- Eat more tree nuts for protein
- And try to limit yourself to 2 meals per day, or a light lunch (sandwich & pickle) and a decent size dinner.

When you know what's in the foods you eat, your mind will automatically adjust and you will stop craving that toxic poison that your bodies' have become addicted to.

Sit back and enjoy the results.
If you want definition and tone, do lots of chores around the house if you can't afford a gym membership.

You have basically described my fiancea's eating habbits and she has went from a size 16 to 10 in just under a year except she doesent eat;

Bread in any form
Puts water in her cerial instead of milk
No potatoes

She also does one hour a night on the cross trainer and her goal is to get back to a size 8, if you follow Jibbyjedi's eating regieme then you will be sure to lose as much weight as you require. Good luck and remember to have *1* treat a week to help you stay on target. A treat can be anything you want but only once a week i.e Small burger and chips or a piece of chocolate cake. Keep the treat for a Saturday!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If I can give you one tip, which will give you the quickest results, RUN! Go running as much as possible, it sheds teh weight quicker than a pack of laxatives!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Plus no carbs after 18:00PM

There is 6:00 PM and there is 1800, but there is no 1800 PM

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join