It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to protect your technology from Solar Radiation/CMEs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
You can make a lite one by making a box with tin foil.
no contact with the foil and computer.
but this is very light.
and you can not have any cables to it.

the best thing is lead sheet. from a builders shop.
make a box and pad it wit some padding.
and no cables. does not need to be air tight.
no contact with group. some insulation.
this will survive a great deal.
if it did not.there would be nothing left of
the rest of the world to plug into for many years.

if you wont to keep it connected
then you will need lots of surge suppressors.
wrap as much of the cables around ferrit rods as you can.
and some of the mouse and keyboard cables.
do all this for the web cables to.
but this will only save you from low blasts.

the best is unplug and put in a lead box.
all insulated from each other.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I thought that a box lined with tin foil in a larger box also lined with tin foil was enough.
At least, when I was looking for an answer to the question about protection, this was the answer most people agreed upon.

There should be a space of about 1 cm between the two boxes and you must be sure the boxes are completely line and closed.
Furthermore wrap the laptop (or whatever) in paper so the tin foil will not touch the laptop.

Since I have already made one I hope this is alright.
edit on 25-9-2011 by notsosunny because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
If i massive CME or EMP happens in the next few minutes, you could improvise by lobbing your drive into your microwave oven and closing the door...remember to unplug the oven from the wall though.

It should shield it well enough.

For longer term storage, just get a microwave oven you never intend to use as a microwave, and store spare drives, mobile phones, sim cards, etc in it, and put it away somewhere.

They block microwaves....

edit on 25/9/2011 by spikey because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
The only solar radiation which reaches Earth's surface ranges from near infrared to long wave ultraviolet (until you get down to radio frequencies). The rest is absorbed by the atmosphere.

CMEs do not produce any effects which can damage your "technology" unless it is plugged into a wall socket. A CME striking the magnetosphere causes geomagnetic activity. If that activity is strong enough it can induce currents in long conductors (like power lines and pipelines). These induced currents can cause power surges.

So, don't worry about solar flares. Don't worry about CMEs. Neither produces an EMP. But if a very strong geomagnetic storm develops, unplug your "technology" if you want to be on the safe side.

edit on 9/25/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Or grab all your 'stuff' and throw it into your car and shut the doors...it's a mobile Faraday cage.

You could sit inside it, with all your electrical bits and bobs and survive repeated lightening strikes.

Saw a Top Gear episode that did a test on something along these lines...with Hammond (a presenter) sitting in the thing while artificial lightening was repeatedly striking the roof of the car...he even drove the car away at the end.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I thought an EMP blast would fry the starter of a car?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

EMP probably would, but lightening doesn't...or rather wouldn't if the ignition was off.

Here you go: www.topgear.com...

edit on 25/9/2011 by spikey because: (no reason given)

XL5

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
An EMP from the sun is not radioactive radiation, its also not like lightning/static, so the methods to protect against those things will not help. LEAD lined bags and boxes will NOT work as well as copper sheet bags. Car windows will let the EMP through, not lightning though. Use a copper bag, the thicker the better, but nothing over 1/8" thick.

Just because you see it on TV doesn't mean its 100% real. Also, just because you saw the new War of the worlds, doesn't mean that JUST the starter or solenoid is going to burn out. There are alot more sensitive parts that will burn out first.
edit on 25-9-2011 by XL5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

Ah..right.

Okey dokey mate..thanks for letting me know that TV doesn't always tell the truth!

(blimey)

But, in this particular case, it is 100% accurate.

The metal body of a vehicle is basically a Faraday cage and will direct electrical energy around, and not through the interior of the vehicle.

It's not blind gullibility i'm on about here mate, just physics.

I mean, next you'll be telling me that the evening news isn't totally unbiased and Father Christmas isn't real!

I'm was just pointing out a fact about cars being (for all intents and purposes) Faraday cages, and will route massive electrical energy around the body.

XL5

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Cars are faraday cage like when it comes to high voltage DC (lightning). A magnetic pulse will go through the glass, more so if its a high frequency magnetic pulse. Thats why there is a metal screen on a microwaves door.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Faraday cages work by interupting/obsorbing the wave frequency of an EMP blast. Cars dont have the same lattice structure inplace over the windows that a Faraday cage would provide and as such could not fully obsorb the wave front so i dont see them offering protection against such a pulse. That top gear thing was cool though!

P.S Riot/security vans with metal grills over the windows might offer simalar protection to a faraday cage, just a thought!
edit on 26-9-2011 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by IEtherianSoul9

turn them off and unplug them simple

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
"turn them off and unplug them simple" Thats like saying duck'n'cover, the wave front of an EMP blast propagates an the speed of light so i dont really see anybody getting much warning. I suppose if its a CME instead of an EMP bomb/missile then there may be time to turn off and unplug all cables however it is my understanding that any cable over 2-3 meters long can still induce current and even melt/burn in some instances when exposed to an electromagnetic pulse.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

well they did ask about cmes and not emps thankyou
so yes simple
edit on 26-9-2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
EMPs have been mentioned/discussed above. Also they both destroy infostructure in a simalar manner so i think both types of scenario are relavent in this thread.

posted on Oct, 1 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by spikey

That would depend on the wavlength of the EM radation. If cars were good Faraday cages, cell phones wouldn't work inside them with the doors closed.

posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
"If cars were good Faraday cages, cell phones wouldn't work inside them with the doors closed." makes sense to me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join