It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking tor ET Life ? ....Look in the Clouds of Venus .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
In this interesting interview from space.com David Grinspoon, a research scientist at the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colorado speculates on the past history of Venus and the likelihood that life existed and may even still exist there .

We've been taking a look at the models that have been done of the runaway greenhouse and the moist greenhouse to try to understand the time scale for the loss of the oceans. The first thing you realize when you look at these models is that it has not been done in a very sophisticated way. Not because the people that have done it are unsophisticated -- Jim Kasting is the best in the business, and his models are state of the art. But the state of the art is not that good.

So, how can one do a better job at modeling the longevity of oceans on a Venus-like planet? I say 'Venus-like planet' because the problem is applicable not just to Venus, but to terrestrial planets on the inner edge of the habitable zone anywhere in the galaxy, or other galaxies.

So the study of Venus could have implications in how we look at other planets on the inner edge of their habitable zone , which would surely give us even more candidate planets .

In the greenhouse-era Venus, Venus still has surface water, and the atmosphere is largely water vapor. The oceans are evaporating, hydrogen is being lost to space. When we put in clouds in our model, we found that the clouds act to cool the planet significantly during that greenhouse phase. Temperatures are significantly lower.

The question of life

Another intriguing thing about early Venus is that it may have had an oxygen-rich atmosphere. You had this massive loss of hydrogen to space from water, and what's left is all that oxygen. We've heard a lot about the rise of oxygen being important in the development of complex life on Earth. Perhaps Venus was a warm, wet planet with an oxygenated atmosphere much earlier than Earth.

By the way, one further implication for habitability bears mentioning. If Venus once had life, and there's no good reason to think that it couldn't have, then we can ask what happened to this life when the oceans disappeared. One possibility is that it simply died out once its habitat vanished. But life is tenacious and highly adaptable. So I think that it is possible that Venusian life migrated to an atmospheric niche when the surface water dried up.
www.space.com...

So that's at least two planets other than Earth and a Moon [ Europa] in our little Solar System that we suspect may harbor life , far from being a rare occurrence as was once thought it appears to my mind that it may be an oddity for life not to exist somewhere .

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
We still haven't discovered all the life forms on this planet yet.

For example, the conditions in the deep ocean are unsuitable for life as we commonly think of life when considering if ET exists out there, in my opinion, any and all of these planets and moons can have lots of different types of life forms deep within their surfaces/oceans.

If life can thrive at pressures that would kill anything living on or near the surface, then most likely life exists somewhere on these planets & moons too.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I have heard theories that Venus may have contained life at some point. Take this and mars into account and at one point er may have had a thriving solar system.

Perhaps that is why humans appeared out of nowhere in the fossil record. Perhaps inhabitants of Venus or mars migrated to earth when their planets failed to sustain life.

Now think of it this way. Our scientists figure that if we continue at our current pace we will make our biosphere inhabitable in a few hundred years. We are just decades away from sending humans to mars.

Say all three planets harbored life 200000 years ago, human of course. The inhabitants were at the technological levels we are at now. The biosphere has a few hundred years left and it is recently discovered that there are two other planets in the solar system that can sustain life. A Massive. Effort to relocate the population to other planets would begin.

Now those planets are uninhabitable. But this would explain why humans appeared so suddenly in the fossil record and why we are the only beings on the planet that are genetically different. Would also explain the anomalous structures allegedly on mars and the moon. Would explain alot of things.

Perhaps the different races on the planet hail from all 3 planets that were at some point habitable. Would make sense as some of our human races have vast differences that cannot be linked for some reason. Differences such height, and skin color. A darker race would be better suited for living closer to the sun while lighter skinned races would be more suited to colder climates farther from the sun.

This would explain why some of the races have issues adapting to certain climates.
whites are more suited to colder temps and typically live in northern climates, their eyes are more sensitive to sunlight as are their skin. Higher rates of skin cancers and such. Blacks typically love in tropical climates and have higher sun tolerances.

Perhaps all three planets were at war with each other. Say mars and Venus were vying for control of earth and its native inhabitants were also involved. Perhaps this is why racism is and has always been so prevalent on this planet. There have always been deep hatred between races that we have no idea how it came to be. Perhaps this is why.

I'm just speculating of course but I have always thought that other planets having supported life in the past and the possibility that humans are not of this planet or are comprised of different planetary races would solve alot of problems in our quest to find the origins of man.

Interesting topic anyway S&F

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
All very interesting, thanks gortex..

According to Dirk Schulze-Makuch there's a possibility that the dark streaks seen in UV images of Venus may be living cells coated with S8. The S8 could be a product of Venusian photosynthesis that doubles up as a radiation shield.

Dirk S-M suggests a tailor-made probe to investigate. Unfortunately the Venus Express mission won't be able to do this.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by gortex

Venus is too damn hot! It's not impossible though, life thrives near hydrothermal vents, in near-boiling pools of water, and other extremes like that.

Look in the oceans of Europa, that's where I'd put my money on.
edit on 25-9-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Another thrust to have us examing our expectations of where to find life out there in exotic places, when they dare not look too closely at the various indications right before our eyes on Mars. This is hilarious.

Some folks are not aware that in addition to dis-information and non-information from specific quarters we also are treated to leading or preparatory information. Meaning that it all serves to direct us eventually to the consensus of wide agreement that life is out there. And so the statement someday from NASA and the ESA of "...Oh, yeah. We just found evidence of life on Mars, too," won't have much of a shock impact as before. (Of course, that will be only evidence of past life. They will take their time to tell us about actual intelligent life, etc.)

For those that are unware, the Viking Landers from the mid-1970s gave us positive indications of microbal life in the Martian soil with their "searcfh for life" experiments, but those findings were denied. Waaay too early! I believe there is an upcoming similar effort in a new probe. Look for it to return an acceptable positive results--because it is time.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
i remember seeing a tv show called 'space pioneer' (i think it was that but i cant find it on the net anymore), the show was about exploring the tech that would allow us to build bases throughout our solar system and what it would possibly be like.

anyway, they said that because of the density of venuses atmosphere we could fill a massive balloon with breathable air and it would float at a point in venuses atmosphere that would have earthlike temperature and atmospheric preasure.

the whole series was very intersting and im gunna spend some more time looking for it, if i find it ill post it here

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
space pioneer

this is the only refference i can find of it, and im giving up now lol

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
From what I'm reading on wiki about Venus, lifeforms would have to thrive in a hot, dark, extremely dense environment, with extreme pressure.

Here is a great video by National Geographic, Life on Venus

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Recently life was discovered on the Earth in Arsenic environment. Life in poisonous gases or elements is possible.

On Europa there will hardly be any dolphins or whales but if there were microorganisms, would NASA hide the discovery? It wouldn't make sense to hide microorganisms while it makes sense to hide other intelligent life forms.

Maybe Europa holds no life like Saturn's Enceladus that is said to have H2O.
edit on 25-9-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Imtor

How do you know it's confirmed there is no life on Enceladus? Link?

Here are some recent findings on Enceladus

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Yes, I'm looking. Lol every day.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
We seek out conditions that life as we know it can thrive so given that we are learning more every day that life is a lot tougher than we thought and can exist in very hostile conditions...there may be life in places that we have previously discounted.

As far as Mars harboring life...or even complex life long ago...we know there were vast seas of water on Mars at one time...very conductive for life. Mars at one time had a protective magnetic field as Earth does now. This field is created by the spinning of Earths interior Liquid Metalic core and just as a magnetic field is created by any electrical motor...such as the motor in say a hair dryer...metal bristles attached to a spinning wheel surrounded by a wound exterior cage of copper wire....this allows a flow of encircling electrons that polorize around it.

The Earths magnetic field protects us from solar and cosmic radiation that would...in absence of this field...sterilize the planet and burn off any water. When Mars' liquid metalic core stopped spinning as it cooled to eventually become solid....the field ceased to exist...thus all water...and any life...was elliminated.

The same thing could happen to the Earth but because Mars was a planet of less mass...it happened much sooner in it's history. Unless a planetary body is of a certain amount of mass...or is effected by gravitic tides by a larger mass...such as the Moons of Jupiter are....it will eventually loose it's magnetic field much sooner.

Split Infinity

new topics

top topics

join