It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Small Glimpse Inside a Modern Bunker

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hi there ,

A friend and fellow member of an Urban exploration site , recently had the lucky opoutunity courtesy of SUBBRIT to visit a de-classified Cold War Bunker in the UK.
it is one of the later ones that was built , and features a section that is a thoroughly modern bunker , similar to many ones that a re still in use

Background :

Info from Wikipedia RRH Neatishead, is a Royal Air Force military radar station in the English county of Norfolk, East Anglia, and was established during the Second World War. It consists of the main technical site, and a number of remote, and sometimes unmanned sites. The primary function of Neatishead was as a "Control and Reporting Centre" (CRC) for the south of the United Kingdom; it forms a part of the UK's air defences - namely the UK "Air Surveillance And Control System" (ASACS), and is part of the larger NATO air defence. It uses radar, ground-to-air radio and digitally encrypted data links. On 16 February 1966 a fire broke out in the bunker, station fire teams were unsuccessful in putting the fire out and so civilian fire crews were called. 3 civilian firefighters lost their lives. Later that year LAC Cheeseman was sentenced to 7 years for starting the fire and causing the deaths.[1] RRH Neatishead controls the remote site of RAF Trimingham with its Type 93 Radar. It also controls the site at RAF Weybourne with its two AEGIS aerials.[citation needed] Neatishead is adjacent to the RAF Air Defence Radar Museum. In April 2004 the decision was taken to substantially reduce activities at Neatishead, and by 2006, the base had been downgraded to Remote Radar Head (RRH) status, but the museum remains open. The gate guardian, a Phantom previously based at RAF Wattisham, was cut up for scrap in 2005 despite interest from the Radar Museum.[2] In October 2006 local media reported that a buyer had been found for the now disused section of the base.[3] The 251/2 acres site was advertised again in January 2010, with an asking price of £4,000,000.[4]

Here are the photos of the visit :

link to Photos of RAF Neatishead Bunker

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
That's really cool. It looks like it belongs in Left 4 Dead.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It is somewhat amusing to me that the main entrance is a big blast door, accessed via a guard bungalow (the mere presence of this bungalow tells me that it was actually originally a 1950's construction...)

While the emergency exists pictured seem to be nothing more than wiremesh over a steel frame door.
edit on 25/9/2011 by BMorris because: typo correction

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BMorris
It is somewhat amusing to me that the main entrance is a big blast door, accessed via a guard bungalow (the mere presence of this bungalow tells me that it was actually originally a 1950's construction...)

While the emergency exists pictured seem to be nothing more than wiremesh over a steel frame door.
edit on 25/9/2011 by BMorris because: typo correction

I concur. Look at the wiring and the ac (access control) panels.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
yes you are correct, the original bunker was an old cold war 1950`s construction , complete with the usual bungalow.
however the new section was completed in the late 80`s and had another small update in 1991.

snoopyuk

top topics

join