It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twinkling star discussed on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
From what I have gathered, and with the help of some members, I have come to the conclusion that it is either Procyon or Sirius. It seems as though these two are shining very bright lately.

Even 1 to 2 months ago, I could not remember them being this bright. And I routinely go outside on my patio to smoke a cigarette.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Sirius is probably the easiest star to identify. Because it is super bright, and the 3 stars on Orion's belt point right to it. If Sirius is what you are seeing, it should be very simple to confirm it.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Boognish

Ok, 5:20 AM I just went outside to look, the star has moved to 115 degrees south east. I looked for Orion's belt and sure enough, it matched the line you drew.

Indeed it is Sirius.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

Mystery solved.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by LeTan

I am In del Rio south of you. This moring i went outside and was looking up and i saw the brightest star ever. It was south and it looked closer then any stars around it.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeTan
Even 1 to 2 months ago, I could not remember them being this bright. And I routinely go outside on my patio to smoke a cigarette.

1 to 2 months ago, those stars you see tonight would not have been there.
As the earth moves around the sun, the stars in the direction away from the sun are different.
A few months ago, the stars in the early morning eastern sky would have been in the direction of the sun.

A few months from now, you'll see those same stars just after midnight.
A few months after that, you'll see those same stars just after sunset.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
grr, how is that mine goes into skunk works and were taking the same pictures of the same star. Blah, I find that unfair. I never said it was alien or anything like that. And yes, you can use your camera to capture it. If I can capture it and the OP and capture then obviously some of you all can capture it. Play with your settings after taking the picture then zoom in 2 to 3 times and you get the same effect as me. lol
Try it some time.

I'm thinking it's Sirius too, because it is near those 3 dots close together.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It's Capella, Always best seen in Fall. I watch it all the time.

Location Makes the Difference Capella is more noticeable in the fall for a couple reasons, and it has to do with its location. During the fall Capella is lower to the horizon, making it easier to spot for those who catch it between the trees or right over the roof of the neighbor's house. With a location close to earthly objects, it is easy to at first believe it is also an earthly object, such as an airplane. But the curious observer will wait and watch and then notice that the sparkling light is not moving. Then, because of the multitude of colors that it seems to display, thoughts often turn to flying saucers or other extraterrestrial origins. And indeed it is extraterrestrial, being a distant star. Its location near the horizon also means that in order to see it we are looking through more atmosphere than when we look at stars that are overhead. In the winter, as Capella moves higher into the sky, strange sightings of this flickering light will be reduced. Other stars fall prey to this same twinkling effect when near the horizon, but Capella's brightness and time of year, being up as the sky grows dark early again for winter, makes it especially noticeable. Read more at Suite101: Bright Star in the Northeast: What Is the Brilliant Flickering Light in the Northeastern Fall Sky? | Suite101.com www.suite101.com...

www.suite101.com...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Stars flicker because when the light passes through the atmosphere it causes the appearance to fluctuate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join