It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunspot 1303?! Bigger then 1302? Caused by Elenin? Catastrophic solar flare/CME?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Yup, nothing like putting one's thread title in all caps to ensure the seriousness/direness/irreversable/inevitable-disaster-scenario of said subject...

*yawn*

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Phage, thank you for the links. Fascinating images. Regarding sunspot numbering procedures: I'd just like to know why it is that in the links you posted, the sunspots shown all appear to be numbered with 5 digits -- not the four being quoted in this thread? Is there some kind of shorthand being used that drops the first digit of a sunspot's "number"?

And to the OP: is there any particular reason why this sunspot should have been caused by comet Elenin when the many others over the years were not? Can you provide any evidence at all, or at least explain the causative process? I would be most interested to know how such an event is possible, as it seems remarkable to me that a sunspot (often larger in size than our planet) could be caused by an object that is only a few km in diameter and of minimal mass.

Thank you.

Mike

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

First, it really isn't accurate to say "sunspot #1302". It is active regions (which usually contain a number of sunspots) which are numbered.

The number actual region number is a 5 digit sequential number. 11303 is the 11,303rd numbered region since 1972 when the system was started. For convenience the first digit is usually dropped.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you for the information, Phage. I've learned something new and I appreciate your reply.

To the OP: I am still interested in your reply to the matter of that comet and your implication that it can cause sunspots. However as it's almost 2 a.m. where I am I'll check back later.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

*awaits the OP's reply of gravity/electromagnetism/voodoo magic*

In all seriousness, there is no reason to assume a sunspot which appear often enough anyway to be caused by a comet, planet, or anything else floating around for that matter. It's poor logic. Speaking of logic, those of you in college, please take a logic course. Most of the logic used on this forum is applied poorly and fallacies aren't a good way to make a case.

Anyway, I still don't understand the Elenin/Nibiru doomsayers. I love a good doomsday theory or conspiracy theory. Having both should be nigh orgasmic. Alas, this is poor logic applied to a common event and sensationalized and blown out of proportion.

Still, I await the OP's response to how a comet would cause a sunspot, too. I hope it is an entertaining, interesting take on current information as opposed to some poorly conceived notion twisting logic and facts to suit their purposes. The ladder are frequent and frequently cringe-inducing.
edit on 25-9-2011 by Heehaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Turns out the region is numbered 1305.
Not much activity in this region at the moment.

Nmbr Location Lo Area Z LL NN Mag Type
1305 N12E70 246 0060 Hsx 02 01 Alpha

With only an alpha configuration(unipolar sunspot group) and 1 sunspot in the region, there is nothing to worry about.

If comets cause sunspot to appear, this would be noticed already no?
With all the sun-diving-comets we should see major sunspots appear out of nowhere?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Does this mean I won't have to pay my bills next month? Because that would really kick.anus!

But if this whole shenayg is wrong, you owe me!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join