It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIP Australia 1788-2012

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AussiePatriot

I believe you are correct, these are the signs that your country is headed in the wrong direction. However, if America is a guide, chances are Australia is going to have a very long future of bad policy ahead of it before it collapses. Because, you see, if the government collapsed next year, that would be too beneficial for the people since it would be fairly simple to go back on a year's policy.

In order for the government to collapse (which would mean it could then be rebuilt fresh) the people in power must first drag the citizens through years, if not decades or centuries, of bad policy. The bad policy, since it does not work, will also be met with bull#### in the media in order to make it seem like it is working. The schools will have to dumb down the citizens to keep them for thinking for themselves. Psychologists will have to be called in to make people who don't comply think they are sick, and therefore need to take medicines or get therapy to change their ways. Laws will be enacted in the guise of tolerance that will actually make thinking any way other than the liberal way not tolerated by the government. In the guise of religious freedom, religions will have to be destroyed. In the guise of multiculturalism, all cultures must be destroyed besides the liberal one. Families will have to be destroyed as well as any other social structures that get in the government's way. In the guise of free speech, free speech will have to be shut down as being politically incorrect.

Then, you will have America, which is still years, if not decades, away from collapsing.

edit on 25-9-2011 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

yea well everything is generally cheap in the United States. some of what you all experience down under has to do with where in the world you are. it's a logistic nightmare, to be sure.

and please don't tell eveyone how much you pay for petrol (gas) down there...people's heads would explode.
edit on 25-9-2011 by lkpuede because: (no reason given)

I'm not sure that's a fair argument... Since everything comes from China these days, there's not that much difference between China and the US and China and Australia. It's essentially the same distance.

The real problem is that we rely too much on imports, which have high tax. And why? Because if we buy Australian grown produce, we not only have to spend more due to the fact that the farmers are all broke and need money to live, but the government sees putting high taxes on Australian grown goods is somehow a good thing. That means, if I live next door to an Australian farm, it would be cheaper to go down the street to a supermarket and buy my produce than it is to get it off the guy next door.

"Well, you get what you pay for" you may be thinking. And I would agree with you, if it wasn't for the extremely high cost of everything else in Australia. Petrol, food, power - hell, we still pay the highest price for internet in the world despite having an average speed of something that resembles dial-up from 1994.

But to recap all the issues in this country;

- We have a government elected on secret, undisclosed promises formed from Prime Minister Gillard and independents; not on the collective votes of the people. It would almost be alright if they would disclose what these secret "promises" are...
- We pay more money for everything. Period. Housing, medical, food, fuel, energy... you name it, we pay more than any other country
- Our government thinks that adding a carbon tax will boost the state's coffers, bringing their budget back to surplus regardless of the fact that our roads are full of potholes, no new cities have been built since the 1950's, no one has a job and hospitals are over stressed. Let's borrow 50 Billion from China if it means we fix up the country, not to cover idiotic election promises (really? taxpayers buy every child a computer?? really???)
- The population is growing faster than infrastructure - meaning that in 30-odd years, there'll simply be more people than houses or available jobs. There's only one real person in this country that seems to have an idea on all the issues, and yet he gets laughed at and made to look like a fool. Not unlike Ron Paul - www.australiangeographic.com.au...
- One of the biggest issues this country faces is our stupid media. This is a problem, because these media companies make the most slanderous claims against seemingly random people in our government. This causes our entire political system to worry most about only one thing; staying out of headlines. Can you fathom the issues this causes? Things like singer Eminem swears a lot, so the government bans him from the country; all in the name of looking good on the 6 o'clock news... That's but one example, there are of course, millions of others (like the whole "boat people" thing...)
- Police officers are increasingly KILLING people. Almost every day in the news now, there's a case of cops shooting people. And we can't defend ourselves, we have no guns. Sorry, those who can afford to pay off local councils have guns, the rest of us just have to hope not to get shot on our way to work
- And then there's work... the average aussie works something like 60 hours a week! Why? because big employers can get away with it, and since small businesses quickly go out of business, we all seem to work for big employers. Not that we have the right to overtime...

This is just scratching the surface though. Gillard also wants to break away from the monarchy... A government wanting absolute power? God help us all... Though this raises an interesting point: No republic should ever be formed on the will of a government - We, the people, must be the ones to DEMAND this kind of change; not "vote" on it because the pro-republic TV commercials were prettier...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by izero

Originally posted by rainychica
reply to post by xxdaniel21

sorry, I meant to reply to your post

I think the funniest thing I ever witness while I was down in Australia about a dozen years ago, is that when they had a referendum to "stay with the crown, under the queen" or detach from it, the majority voted for the Queen. I don't get it, even today, I just don't get it. Can someone explain (who's a native of Australia)?

Please could a moderator delete the other one, sorry for the trouble, thanks

I voted against republic because it was a monumental time and money waster. I mean honestly who cares about this kind of rubbish.... Let's just get on with it.

it would not make any difference - USA is a 'republic' but it still serves the crown of england deep down behind the scenes..
which is why the lawyers in US are all 'esquires'

US still owes Britain (or rothschilds) money from the civil war, which is what the civil war was about - release from the banksters

If Australia became a republic we would still be property of the crown

it has been stated here earlier in this thread - the banksters need the country to be in debt to them to exercise influence

this country has no bill of rights - Aussies dont have any rights - they have been talking about a draft bill of rights since 1921

this country has no constitutional government

however you can still 'have a go' and make a difference

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by goldenelf

My Aussie comrades, we've been sold out by a communist.

Will Julia Gillard's Past Cause Red Faces?- The Herald Sun

Julia Gillard: Australia's First Female PM

Julia Gillard Communist Connections

She's selling us to the Chinese and IMO looking to pin the tail on that donkey.

I think it's once again time to stand under the Eureka flag, united in our defiance!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Australia has one of the lowest levels of debt f any western nation.
Australia's finance minister just received an award for worlds best finance minister.
Australia is considered by every country on earth to have been the best managed country during the GFC
Australia does not elect their Prime minister - it is not an elected, nor democratic position.
The carbon tax is seen as one of the best ways of stopping cheap imports and restoring manufacturing into the country by blocking imports from countries that do not support the global carbon tax and trading scheme to be implemented in 2014
The opposition party regularly changes leaders - its a normal part of Australian politics
The opposition said they would never ever introduce a GST and then introduced the biggest, most inflationary tax in Australian history.
The opposition forced all australians to purchase health insurance which is nothing but a private health industry tax.

The OP is a right wing schill.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I totally agree with the OP... Australian politicians don't care about the Australian people. Nor the Australian Business.

I know of a council that voted to introduce flouride into a water source of the local community. It was a small community of only a few thousand. Members of the community went around to every single member of the community, and retrieved 73% of peoples signatures saying that 73% of them did not want their water fluoridated, and brought it before the council members. Guess what happened to their drinking water? It got flouride added.

Just like most Australians don't want this carbon tax, and it is bad for business especially how high the carbon tax is, and our carbon tax wont do what it's meant to do... help the environment. It's just a tax that nobody wants except the government to get extra revenue.

They will destroy our country, these stupid politicians, who have no respect for what the Australian people want.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
AussiePatriot clearly has no sense in what he is talking about. While I don't like the current labour government, I can't say I like the opposition either.

Firstly, in Australia we do not vote our leader into power, we vote our chosen government (i.e laboour, liberal etc) and who leads the party is up to them. There is no requirment of democratic consent.

Secondly, if AussiePatriot would simply look into the economics of our budget deficit for more than 5 minutes he would see it is justified. Firstly the Global Financial Crisis, started in America due to inferior economic regulation (i.e. regulating the banks) brought massive strains to the Australian economy. If it were not for two factors, China's economic growth demanding mineral resources from Australia, and government tax cuts and outlay increases during the crisis, we would not be doing as good as we are now. Compared to the rest of the Western world we are booming and we have the second highest wages in the world (take that as good or bad). The government budget was forecast to enter surplus (13 Billion suprplus) by 2010-2013 and looking at the calcualtions it seems correct, however underlying factors and overseas economic conditions may threaten this. Not to mention the government had to steer the economy through the floods which engulfed Queensland, NSW and Victoria and the Cyclone which engulfed Queensland and affected the mining and agricultural industries (our chief exports).

Guillard is not borrowing 100 million per day from China (generally the government borrows from Australian banks). I think you are talking about the Current Account and Balance of Payements. The Current Account has been in deficit for 50 or so years due to our lack of export. However the borrowing in this account is done largely by private firms not the government.

But wait theres more, there will also be a Mining tax slapped onto the mining giants who produce much of our wealth.

I see nothing wrong with this. Firstly Australia sees the minerals as our resources not BHP Billiton's. So why shouldn't we increase taxes and give more of the profits to Australia. Frankly selling it all to China without making a cut is not economical. The mining companies have initiated an ad campaign to deter this but let me tell you somthing. Economic growth will not be affected by the mining tax in the slightest. The mining companies are making massive profits and will continue too. They are not going to leave because of a tax hike and if they were to (which they wont because there is billions still to be made) another company will take their place.

The Carbon Tax is an entirely different story. Frankly I don't believe in man made climate change and I agree now is a bad time with the external economic factors. However, I do support a carbon tax in the futurewith amendements made to ensure it isn't some form of Carbon Trading Scheme which it is suppose to become. Here are my reasons
1. We can't rely on a finite resource forever
2. We need to develop new energy which will make us more competitive globally
3. Cleaning air pollution is always good
Somthing people don't know about the Carbon Tax is that they raised the first tax bracket from $6000 to $18000 to compensate lower-working class families.

Australia's economy is being compared to other countries that are creating a carbon tax or already have one, most notably New Zealand. Has anyone seen how inflated prices have now become over there? Why do you think so many Kiwis are coming here now?

Yep, just ignore the underlying factors. Like I don't know... THE EARTHQUAKE. Not to mention they don't have massive mines like us with a strong dollar.

If something is not done soon to stop this, Australia WILL collapse by next year. We have the highest house prices in the world, pay more for food than most other western nations, and an increasingly ageing population which will put more strain on already stretched facilities. It surprises me that we aren't seeing riots about this, or real marches on parliament house. When will the people wake up and realise this government is #ing Australia to death.

It won't collapse. We have the highest housing prices due to high demand and low supply (somthing which the government aided with the stimulus given to construction and those building) we pay equal amounts as most the Western world. When we import it is dearer due to transport costs and our produce is dearer as agriculture in Queensland is still recovering (it will take a season or two) due the the floods- unless you think the government made it rain it is not their fault. What should we do about the ageing population, the government didn't age them and they can't just kill them all. So that is not their fault either.

There are no riots because we are richer than we have ever been. Melbourne is the most livable city in the world. Most problems (you listed) are out of the governments hands

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussiePatriot

If something is not done soon to stop this, Australia WILL collapse by next year. We have the highest house prices in the world, pay more for food than most other western nations, and an increasingly ageing population which will put more strain on already stretched facilities.
It surprises me that we aren't seeing riots about this, or real marches on parliament house. When will the people wake up and realise this government is #ing Australia to death.

I always read articles that says Australia is part of the western nations. Isn't Australia located in Asia? Its nearest neighbor is Indonesia which is very much part of the eastern nations. For the bolded phrase, the better term is "pay for more food than most other Caucasian nations."
edit on 25-9-2011 by wavemaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
It's simple, sharpen the knifes for Rudd and let him loose.
Everyone loves Kev, and we all realise how much of a job he had to do when he was PM.
edit on 25-9-2011 by crackerjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
To the original poster:

Whilst I understand and agree with most of what you say, and being of Australian birth myself this question seems important.

Are you affiliated with a political party/group in any way? You're screed read like something out of Tony Abbott's private fire and brimstone journal. Never mind. I would never dare say "R.I.P. Australia", unless you foresee the total annihilation of every man, woman and child in the very near future.
"Australia" is who the people are, what we want and decide for ourselves. If the Australian people get off their lazy, complacent, self-inflated behinds and feel enough through the general desensitizing malaise constructed about them to fight for what they want, then this Carbon Tax facade will fall and Aussies will urinate on it's very idea.

If not, then the country gets what it deserves. Rather fatalistic I know, but I'm tired of railing at the great beer-stained wall. Saving to travel.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by bergiee
i actually liked kevin, he was a decent PM

julia makes me sick...

so did i, and i could see him becoming pm or at least rise up along the ladder of deceit 7 years ago. but unfortunately they are all tarred with the same brush. they all kowtow to TPTB and all say;-oh yes! we must go the distance in afghanistan, including the mad monk. and rudd wanted a carbon tax.
and did juliar get some special advice when she went to israel?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

remember graham richardson said she wont last past christmas

'et tu brute?"

one who comes to power with by a knife in the back should always be looking behind them

maybe we need alan jones in the parliament lol

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
It seems like a truly global phenomena. The govts of the world these days seem to serve only the interests of the rich and the powerful, and the people, the common people seem to be viewed as irrelevant. It is a global oligarchy. My personal theory is that its a coup of sorts against the worlds billions of people. The elites know they are hopelessly outnumbered and the only way to hold onto power is to create a draconian system that basically ignores 99 percent of the worlds population.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I am not from Australia, do you have link and documentation on this ? Not that I can help, but this is happening in a lot of places, not just there.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Both the mining tax and carbon tax are designed to slow the economy down. Specifically to stop the mining boom from sending the dollar sky high.

If the mining boom is not controlled, many more industries will close, as we have seen starting to happen with manufacturing.

The Australian economy is based around a low aussie dollar. This has changed recently, and something needs to be put in place to manage the transition to a high value currency.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
well, news just in

the Krudd war looms

"
OPPOSITION Leader Tony Abbott has put the Coalition on an official election war footing, warning his senior frontbench to prepare for a December poll - with Kevin Rudd as Labor leader.

Mr Abbott called a special leadership meeting last Thursday in Canberra to "war-game"' an early poll strategy.

Senior Liberal sources confirmed Mr Abbott and senior frontbenchers met to plan for a scenario that Mr Rudd would challenge for the leadership when parliament resumes in two weeks and call a snap poll."

[url=http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/tony-abbotts-getting-ready-for-kevin-rudd-war-if-julia-gillard-ousted-from-prime-ministership/story-e6freuy 9-1226146188269]

edit on 25-9-2011 by Highlander64 because: fix link

edit on 25-9-2011 by Highlander64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by AussiePatriot
Australia as we know it is done for.
Julia Gillard took out Kevin Rudd in a bloodless coup and installed herself with the help of faceless power brokers. All done without any say of the people.
Then came the 'election', and once again installed herself without the true votes of the people as independents and the Greens propped her up.
This government has driven the country into a deficit of over 200 billion dollars on wasted taxpayer funded programs. Compared with just a few years ago when we were in surplus.
Never before has Australia had such an incompetent government, with its WORST primeminister in history.
Gillard is borrowing approx 100 million per day from China when we are supposed to be in a mining boom reaping the profits from China?

At this time there is global uncertainty with debt crises and so on. BUT it gets better, Julia has decided WE need to pay the WORLDS LARGEST CARBON TAX. Why must we pay when China produces most of the pollution?
But wait theres more, there will also be a Mining tax slapped onto the mining giants who produce much of our wealth.
Australia's economy is being compared to other countries that are creating a carbon tax or already have one, most notably New Zealand. Has anyone seen how inflated prices have now become over there? Why do you think so many Kiwis are coming here now?

Just a little food for thought, Julia says she will scrap the flood levy (another tax) sometime next year I think. However, I would just like to point out that no government in the history of Australia has ever taken back a tax what makes you think ##SNIP## will?

If something is not done soon to stop this, Australia WILL collapse by next year. We have the highest house prices in the world, pay more for food than most other western nations, and an increasingly ageing population which will put more strain on already stretched facilities.
It surprises me that we aren't seeing riots about this, or real marches on parliament house. When will the people wake up and realise this government is #ing Australia to death.

edit on Sun Sep 25 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: MOD EDIT: Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

We Americans feel your pain. We've got the same issues here with our current (and previous) failed leadership, economic disparity and failed immigration policies.

The riots are coming soon for everyone I'm afraid.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Im glad to see a fellow asutralia posting a topic on here about our counrty, your right about the carbon tax, but Guillard and Abot are as bad as eachother, abbott is a religious anti homosexual homophobe and when it comes to parliment he only manages to disrupt it my shouting with his big floppy dumbo eliphant ears, he then challenges guillard and t one point said he had a better budget and came up with a huge black spot in the budget "gee wonder what THAT was?" guillard is a puppett and quite frankly for a non religious prime minister she sure is taking her time legalising same sex marriage, the fact she wont SHOWS that there are powerbrokers and so forth even in the religious sector who pull the strings, kind of sounds like MJ-12 and builderburgers and rockerfellas, point being is: The carbon TAX DOES NOT stop pollution, think of it this way, it would be like if the US government brought out free energy devices, they would find one way or another to make people pay for something that really cost nothing, as long as they can make money off it, and with the carbon tax its not building green energy devices,it would be like taxinng humans for breathing out carbon dioxide.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Seagle

No I am not a liberal or labour, I hate both of them equally.
Firstly, climate change is real. Everyone knows that, the climate has changed for billions of years without human interference but human induced climate change is something different altogether.
Secondly, the carbon tax can only be a bad thing. If they tax our power stations because they use dirty coal then that can only mean electricity prices will rise and that will hurt everyone.
Australias economy is not like most other western countries, we rely soley on natural wealth to power our economy. If they put the worlds largest carbon tax onto that as well as a mining tax what do you think will be the end result?
If Gillard was so serious about climate change then why is she scrapping subsidies on clean power etc. solar.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by izero

Hahaha. You mistake me, I say Gillard but also mean the government in general. In fact both parties are crap.
Also how was I sexist just because she is a woman doesn't mean jack.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join