It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Museum of Unworkable Devices

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Searched and found an old thread from 2003 with only 1 reply. So, thought I'd post it here again as it is fascinating.

These are the devices that just don't work. All that brain power going towards a failed end.

So, my challenge to ATS'ers is to try and make one work! Simple huh? This is what some of you live for!

Some amazing, crazy, zany and incredible machines that just won't work...although they should. (Some at least)
www.lhup.edu...

Sample:

Simanek's Silly Slinky Device
www.lhup.edu...

Two identical gear wheels (A and B) are connected by a frictionless chain drive (C). Obtain a Slinky (TM) toy or two, and make a chain of them to wrap around the outside of these wheels as shown. The coils of the spring engage in the gear teeth, which prevent the coils slipping on the pulleys. The design allows either one or two coils to fit in the gaps between the teeth. we show two coils per gap at the bottom, and one coil per gap at the top.

This idea is more than three centuries old:

The underwater bellows wheel
www.lhup.edu...

If you think this is a goofy idea, then: * Explain why it can't work, using elementary freshman physics. * Explain why in 2001 French Patent No. 2,830,575 was granted to Smeretchanski Mikhail for a device using the very same principle. He describes it as "A device for the production of mechanical energy..., using elements with variable volume and the force of Archimedes for its operation."

Advanced Concepts Library:
www.lhup.edu...

I like this one:

The Gallery of Ingenious, but Impractical Devices
www.lhup.edu...

Some stuff here that makes you go 'hmmmmm... "What were they thinking?"

Gallery of ingenious, but perhaps impractical devices
www.lhup.edu...

It's truly amazing to what lengths we as humans will go to when we want to solve a problem or puzzle. That's what makes this site (and life) so interesting.

So, have fun and get the grey matter working! Bring a device into the thread, discuss it and tell us why it should work or why it will never work.

Peace

edit on 24-9-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Sorry brother, but those 2 machines can't and will never work. The frictional forces will overcome both of the machines rather quickly. But don't take it from me I am a mechanical engineer.

The magnetic machines will work.
edit on 24-9-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by fordrew
Sorry brother, but those 2 machines can't and will never work. The frictional forces will overcome both of the machines rather quickly. But don't take it from me I am a mechanical engineer.

The magnetic machines will work.
edit on 24-9-2011 by fordrew because: (no reason given)

I agree on the magnetic machines and I'm not an engineer.

I really want to try the slinky one tho...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

there are plenty of other principles that come into play other than friction, but friction is the major reason that these machines will not work.

Something I did not understand is how do they get 2x the compression coils on the right side of that contraption?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
Some amazing, crazy, zany and incredible machines that just won't work...although they should. (Some at least)

Why do you say:
"although they should. (Some at least)"

As far as I can tell, none of them should work, right? That's kind of the point of the site. It's an interesting site.

There's a thread on ATS where an inventor put a considerable amount of effort into building an unworkable device.

Here's a link to the thread, and a photo of the unworkable device he's building. It's just not obvious to some people why these things won't work but it's pretty obvious to me for most of them. A few of them I have to think about it a little bit.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a question. Why do you never see physics majors building these unworkable things?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Why do you say:
"although they should. (Some at least)"

As far as I can tell, none of them should work, right? That's kind of the point of the site. It's an interesting site.

There's a thread on ATS where an inventor put a considerable amount of effort into building an unworkable device.

Here's a link to the thread, and a photo of the unworkable device he's building. It's just not obvious to some people why these things won't work but it's pretty obvious to me for most of them. A few of them I have to think about it a little bit.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's a question. Why do you never see physics majors building these unworkable things?

Because the theory being sound is why some should work IMO.

It's the actual execution and design that has the flaws.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Because the theory being sound is why some should work IMO.

It's the actual execution and design that has the flaws.
Which device (s) do you think has a sound theory?

You mentioned the site but I think you're kind of missing the point of the site. If it's "unworkable" I take that to mean it won't work no matter how good the design and execution is, it's the theory that's flawed. I didn't look at every single device but I looked at many of them and didn't see any with a sound theory, but maybe there is one and I missed it?

The example I posted a photo of certainly has a flawed theory. There is no amount of improvement in the design and execution that will make that device work.

new topics

top topics

join