It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman decapitated in Mexico for web posting (for reporting a crime on a social networking site)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Woman decapitated in Mexico for web posting

MEXICO CITY — Police found a woman's decapitated body in a Mexican border city on Saturday, alongside a handwritten sign saying she was killed in retaliation for her postings on a social networking site.

The gruesome killing may be the third so far this month in which people in Nuevo Laredo were killed by a drug cartel for what they said on the internet.

Morelos Canseco, the interior secretary of northern Tamaulipas state, where Nuevo Laredo is located, identified the victim as Marisol Macias Castaneda, a newsroom manager for the Nuevo Laredo newspaper Primera Hora.
The newspaper has not confirmed that title, and an employee of the paper said Macias Castaneda held an administrative post, not a reporting job. The employee was not authorized to be quoted by name.

But it was apparently what the woman posted on the local social networking site, Nuevo Laredo en Vivo, or "Nuevo Laredo Live," rather than her role at the newspaper, that resulted in her killing.
The site prominently features tip hotlines for the Mexican army, navy and police, and includes a section for reporting the location of drug gang lookouts and drug sales points — possibly the information that angered the cartel.

The message found next to her body on the side of a main thoroughfare referred to the nickname the victim purportedly used on the site, "La Nena de Laredo," or "Laredo Girl." Her head was found placed on a large stone piling nearby. "Nuevo Laredo en Vivo and social networking sites, I'm The Laredo Girl, and I'm here because of my reports, and yours," the message read. "For those who don't want to believe, this happened to me because of my actions, for believing in the army and the navy. Thank you for your attention, respectfully, Laredo Girl...ZZZZ."

Full Article

Wow, potentially the third killing so far for what was posted on a social networking site and because she believed in her country's army and navy?

I currently have only one word for these acts to whomever was responsible...horrendous!
edit on 9/24/2011 by UberL33t because: Title edit

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Honestly in my opinion, if that were the US, people would be arming themselves and fighting against those drug lords. You can't do that in Mexico because the everyday citizen can't by a gun, but the criminals can easily procure weapons! It just doesn't make sense...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MegasAlexandros

I would have to agree. The questions is, the ones who do have guns (Mexican Army, Navy, and Police) are seemingly being...well..."punked"? I understand the Drug Cartels are vast in assets but it's the Mexican Government aren't they able to handle this?

In the medical world there is a term called iatrogenic, which in a nutshell is the treatment is causing or contributing to the disease. In this aspect and seemingly common sense would dictate that the Mexican Government is the treatment and the Drug Cartels are the disease.

Repulsive if I may be so bold to say.
edit on 9/24/2011 by UberL33t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Of course they procure weapons, we give them the guns
The ATF isn't exactly trustworthy anymore...

People don't seem to understand what is happening right below them, which is disgustingly sad seeing how even my ex-fellow citizens can muster up a slight interest in their own involvement in the Middle East (and just about everywhere else in the world, but that's besides the point). ...I think it's time to watch American Idol!!! The only good thing about sheep is they die easily, and our govt loves us this way.

Mexico is a wreck right now, and the United States doesn't care...but we seem to intervene on just about any other "war crime". How many thousands does it take to make it a war, or a genocide.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vivec

Last I checked there wasn't much oil in Mexico...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I think someone, or some people, needs to get the same information that woman did, it doesn't matter what country you're in because this is the world wide web after all, and distribute it all over the world. At the very least to all the people in Mexico who need it.

Use sites like hidemyass.com to help conceal your location and gang up up on these "people". What are they going to do about it? Go around the world and kill everyone involved?. Doubtful, because if enough people get involved in this way, it simply wouldn't be cost effective to take everyone out. It would start diminishing the drug cartels' profits too much.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Hahahah, I know. Thank you

Show me the money!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

I think that is a great idea...

Here is a link to the Social Networking Site mentioned in the article (Google Translated Link): NuevoLaredoEnVivo

It seems to be a rather active site with a current Live Chat occurring as well as a forum. Perhaps ATS can try and post a few helpful links on their forums. I am going to try and register but I am going to do so via a proxy. I will try and post in the forum, however I don't know Spanish so I will be translating a lot.

I invite any fellow Spanish speaking ATS members to also try and provide links to anonymity resources. I see just from looking at the site a lot of the User ID's begin w/ "Anon" so it seems they have a little clue. Nonetheless, they should be able to post without fear of harm.

The most that can happen to you on ATS is you'll maybe get a good tongue lashing and at worst the Staff will ban you, but you'll still have all your body parts attached, be thankful for that folks.

new topics

top topics

join