It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Hunter" a film on the search for the Tasmanian Tiger.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
While looking into a film referenced in another thread starring Willem Dafoe, I ran across this at IMDB.

a mercenary, is sent from Europe by a mysterious biotech company to the Tasmanian wilderness on a hunt for the last Tasmanian tiger.

set for an October release.

The Tasmanian Tiger, also known as the Tasmanian Wolf, thylacine or Thylacinus cynocephalus, the latter which is Greek for "dog-headed pouched one", is an extinct species of carnivorous marsupial. It is so called a Tasmanian Tiger because of the stripes on its back. Share this The film's source novelist Julia Leigh is also a writer-director herself, writing and directing Sleeping Beauty, another Australian movie released in the same year as this film. Leigh however did not actually work on the screenplay nor direct this film. Share this First feature film directed by Daniel Nettheim since Angst, a gap of about eleven years. Nettheim has worked in television during the interim. Share this An end title card reads: "Traps and snares are illegal in Tasmania". Share this Willem Dafoe had to deal with leeches during production filming in the Tasmanian wilderness in Australia. In a media interview, he joked how he didn't lose any blood, ironic because his previous Australian film Daybreakers had been a vampire movie. Both movies co-star Sam Neill. Share this Picked up for 2012 distribution in the United States by Magnolia Pictures after the film's world premiere at the 2011 Toronto Film Festival. Share this Approximately 40% of the film's production personnel were from Tasmania - Australia's small southernmost island where the film was shot. Locations included Maydena, Deloraine and the Florentine Valley. Share this The film's lead character of Martin David, played by Willem Dafoe, was known only as M in the film's source novel. Share this During the beginning of this film, actual original black-and-white archival footage is seen of the last ever Tasmanian Tiger living in captivity.

Click here for more on the upcoming film The Hunter

Original Footage of the last known living Tasmanian Tiger
edit on 24-9-2011 by exdog5 because: link added

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
...that sounds great!
I hope it does justice to the topic. I live in Tasmania, and as those who have been here or know anything about Tasmania will probably be aware, there are huge swathes of land on the island that still, to this day, haven't been explored; particularly parts of the South-West, which is deeply forested and mountainous. I'd love to think that there are still some tigers out there.

I don't think it's particularly unreasonable to think that it's a possibility.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Not just on Tasmania, remember that the thylacine was once widespread all across the mainland and there have also been plenty of sightings of such creatures as well as vast amounts of unexplored land.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AussiePatriot

while that's true, the timeframes for mainland extinction and Tasmanian extinction are literally thousands of years apart. The likelihood of a remnant population in Tasmania would have to be significantly higher, statistically if nothing else.

That said... I've seen some pretty compelling evidence for mainland habitation too.

top topics

join