It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XP Linux

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I have been looking at Puppy Linux and ran across this!
XP Style Linux

It has a little trouble with the Keyboard layout.

Just something fun to play with.

edit on 24-9-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Install vlc 0.9

then tell me you can work with it.

Love linux, but you just cannot get WHAT YOU WANT, out of it... you're always left with just how others have.

and when you hit more than enough brick walls, little things, you just go meh and reinstall windows..

because as crap as it is, unfortunately, it's made to work like a tot.....

edit on 24/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: werps

edit on 24/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: I wish god installed a spell checker in me...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Ha`la`tha

I ran PCLinuxOS ever since 2007. I liked it! Now I am running Windows XP Pro. Works pretty good. Need windows for using a MagicJack for the phone. Waiting for my retro game Far Cry to come in so I can play it.

Did play the hell out of Starcraft and Diablo 2 on Linux with Wine. Need to keep a good antivirus program running on Windows all the time.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I use dual-boot.... that way I can get the best of both. I would love to go to Linux the whole way, but I have too much software that runs on Windows only......

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I am not into Windows programs, just thought it was funny. So far I really like the original Puppy....

And NO I will never install Windows again.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
There are so many versions of Puppy, none of them are really as slick as I would like, but it is useful to have a distro on USB that runs in RAM (and is persistent) to use on the go (especially in *free Wi-Fi zones!) I have Macpup, it's average. Not something I'd use full-time, but has come in handy now and again.

As for Windows 7 look-alike, there is a full size distro (Ubuntu based) called Zorin OS which markets to the Windows crowd. I suppose it would appeal to those who don't want to step out of their comfort zone, but then again, those people probably wouldn't be switching to Linux anyway.

edit on 24-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

lol, the problem I have with Linux, if you have lots of non-standard equipment is that you just have to write the drivers, or re-compile the kernel by yourself ... Now I have cameras on my telescope, and other cameras on my microscopes that don't have drivers for Linux, and as I work like in 16 hours a day (or more) developing Windows software or other hardware, I don't have that much time to try and get all my funny stuff to run with Linux. Heck, I have problems enough getting everything to work (with their supplied Windows drivers) to work under Windows, how would I ever find the time to develop drivers for Linux???

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

A few years ago I was inspired to attempt to set up a dual-boot system and in the process mistakenly wiped Windows (no recovery discs) so I had no choice but to learn how to function with Linux. Turned out to be a good thing, but I'm not into extra snazzy software and/or video games. I use my laptop for business, maybe watch a video, very mundane.

I understand why some people cannot or don't want to switch, in fact, I've recently had to add Win. back because I've run into some issues accessing a program necessary for work, that can only be used in Win.

ETA:
Not giving up Linux though - I will settle for both - for now.

edit on 24-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I have been using linux for quite some time now (5 years +) and I will never ever install windows again. The brick wall took me only a few weeks to break through. and now I can do almost anything I want on it.

Whats wrong with vlc? I have it installed and it plays damn well anything I throw at it.

and let me say that your following statement is incorrect.

you're always left with just how others have

The idea of open source is that you can make it into what YOU want.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
windows is horrid for developing.

it all comes down to, are you one of those people that prefers to do things yourself, or have it done for you?

linux is freedom.
M$ is enslavement

aside from a few driver compatibility issues(which were easily solved)..i havent had many problems since i switched.

i enjoy not having to deal with malware, and knowing ill never have to spend a dime on anything. system stays at top performance with little to no maintenance.

doubt ill ever go back

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kaleshchand
I have been using linux for quite some time now (5 years +) and I will never ever install windows again. The brick wall took me only a few weeks to break through. and now I can do almost anything I want on it.

Whats wrong with vlc? I have it installed and it plays damn well anything I throw at it.

and let me say that your following statement is incorrect.

you're always left with just how others have

But but but when I need to do sommat, boy I need brick walls.

Nah I agree, I had vlc on my tablet no worries at all, a tablet.. crikey, that was nifty..

I did brick my tablet tho, boooo... was a sad day, Im not rich so that hurt, but..

controling my pc from a little wee slither of a device, oh man that was somewhat nice.

then came the urge to play... grrr.. Im sooo durrp at times..

The idea of open source is that you can make it into what YOU want.

edit on 26/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: oh man in the dark, at this hour... i cant type

edit on 26/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: THIRD TIME IS A CHARM

edit on 26/9/2011 by Ha`la`tha because: npo im closing firefox now, thats just sad... im going baclk to bed

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker

lol, but isn't Linux more than that story that went around years ago..... "Using Linux, you get to the airport, and you get the seat, the avionics, and the shell all lying before you, and you first must assemble the whole aircraft (as much fun as it is), before you can take off, and fly (but having the pleasure of customizing the whole aircraft just for you), and with Windows, you just get into this very crappy aircraft, no leg space, no advanced entertainment, and it gets you there, and with a Mac, you get a seat, in which the safety belt is set to a specific length, and you are not allowed to change it, and uncle Steve decided what entertainment you get, and what kind of coctails you get" )....... The one is fun, if you like assembling and customizing everything, the other one is crappy, but it sort of works, and the other one gives you over to a total control freak

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
the full version is here, its been updated with entries for vista and win 7 and still raises a smile,

oh, just in case, i'm a full blown linux user, have been for many a moon

www.zyra.org.uk...

Linux Air -- Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself. When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

edit on 5/10/2011 by solvectra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by solvectra

lol, I've always aspired to become a full-blown Linux user, but every now and then I find a silly reason to fall back to Windows ... (software development is one of them, so much easier to develop software for customers using .NET), maybe you can show me other ways, lol ....

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
sorry, wouldn't know where to start with software development,
i use my machine for audio and video,

a quick google comes up with this though

www.yolinux.com...

hope it helps with the transition

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by solvectra
sorry, wouldn't know where to start with software development,
i use my machine for audio and video,

a quick google comes up with this though

www.yolinux.com...

hope it helps with the transition

ROFL, thanks for that link, but it reminds me sort of programming in the 80's .... lol .... when I had a transputer that was in my mind 100x faster than my 386 PC that I had my transputer connected to
..... It is fun programming, but if I need software that one of my customers scream into my neck to get ASAP, I just can't see myself programming in Linux, but then, maybe I am too old, and too slow .... it is nicer just to drag a couple of little buttons, to a bit of patchwork, and then I can present it to my customers with a smile..... but of course, if I really have another customer that needs real control of hardware, I might sing a different tune .....

top topics

join