It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Faster-than-light speeds -- what it means to everyone

page: 1
5
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
This week, we leaned that neutrinos were clocked at 60 billionths of a second faster than the speed of light. What does this mean to the average person?

This discovery means...

-- that Einstein was wrong. Period.
-- that there is a distinct possibility that, if speeds of 60 billionth of a second beyond light speed are possible, then perhaps unlimited speeds (speed of thought) are possible as well.
-- Since science, particularly physics, is built upon Einstein's disproven theories, it means that we are not only back to square one -- it means we never left square one.
-- that we should begin to realize that we know next to nothing about the universe we live in. We are a primitive species and should be less interested in debunking, for example, the paranormal and instead begin opening our minds.
-- that the arrogance of science is flying back in its face. From now on, when a science worshiper speaks in absolutes, we can simply laugh, knowing they're very possibly on the wrong track.
-- that an entirely new arena of science has opened up. Hopefully, our creativity and imaginations will open as well and combine, leading to remarkable discoveries that are sollid, not built on hero-worship we saw with Einstein.


I'm sure there's more, but just posted this for starters...
edit on 24-9-2011 by Visiting ESB because: add text

edit on 24-9-2011 by Visiting ESB because: delete text




posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It means that someone went back in time and posted this thread before you.



Source
edit on 24-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
It means that everything we knew about space laws and physics is wrong!!
So the science was wrong,again,ha?

And we would have to start all over again.

Who knows,maybe in ten years from now, we will be able to travel faster than light.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I tend to agree, maybe youtube scientists will finally stop demanding how the universe works.

the worst argument i've seen yet is that neutrino's have mass so its impossible to make them travel past light speed, the proper answer to that is look at the evidence =/ isn't that what science is supposed to be about, doing experiments and learning from them? not bashing on anyone you believe to be lesser than yourself because you read some books, did some math, applied some theory. of course the dogma involved with science and the peer review processes, and the money, its always about the money.

hopefully that stage of physics is over. time for the truth.

ed: up until a week ago i'd never heard of programmable magnets, or anti magnets, so if you have a problem with my opinion I suggest you look into those aswell, there are alot of impossibles coming to light right now.
edit on 24/9/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
It means that someone went back in time and posted this thread before you.



Source
edit on 24-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)


It only means they posted the original story. This thread, if you would have taken the time to read it, doesn't announce the story. This thread discusses possible impact on society. Your response = fail.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
It means that everything we knew about space laws and physics is wrong!!
So the science was wrong,again,ha?

And we would have to start all over again.

Who knows,maybe in ten years from now, we will be able to travel faster than light.


If so, maybe I will travel back to this thread to edit it once more.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatsinaname
I tend to agree, maybe youtube scientists will finally stop demanding how the universe works.

the worst argument i've seen yet is that neutrino's have mass so its impossible to make them travel past light speed, the proper answer to that is look at the evidence =/ isn't that what science is supposed to be about, doing experiments and learning from them? not bashing on anyone you believe to be lesser than yourself because you read some books, did some math, applied some theory. of course the dogma involved with science and the peer review processes, and the money, its always about the money.

hopefully that stage of physics is over. time for the truth.

ed: up until a week ago i'd never heard of programmable magnets, or anti magnets, so if you have a problem with my opinion I suggest you look into those aswell, there are alot of impossibles coming to light right now.
edit on 24/9/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)


The biggest problem I have with scientists is that most seem to have no imagination. Imagination would drive them to discover the true nature of the universe. Instead, they accept what was done before them and dismiss any other possibility.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visiting ESB

Originally posted by boncho
It means that someone went back in time and posted this thread before you.

Source
edit on 24-9-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

It only means they posted the original story. This thread, if you would have taken the time to read it, doesn't announce the story. This thread discusses possible impact on society. Your response = fail.


Quoted from the other thread:




Once confirmed, maybe we can finally get rid of the Einsteinian model and start working on developing a theory based on tangible observations instead of mathematical theory.


Seems as though others were discussing the impact on society as well. Now only if we could go back in time...



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho
 


There is also this thread.

And don't forget this one.

The second one goes on for 20 pages, so I assume people discussed the topic at length.




posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by boncho
 


There is also this thread.

And don't forget this one.

The second one goes on for 20 pages, so I assume people discussed the topic at length.



Then why don't you simply go to those threads? I started this thread to discuss what I think the implications may be and to allow others to add/challenge those thoughts. The other threads simply post large portions of an article written by someone else and then ask what others think without much putting much thought of their own.

BTW, you posted "this has been posted before" (are you a little girl?) 3 times in the same thread. Get a life, since you have nothing substantial to contribute.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB


...you posted "this has been posted before" (are you a little girl?) 3 times in the same thread. Get a life, since you have nothing substantial to contribute.

 


No I didn't. I posted it once, in the originally reply. To which you replied "This thread discusses possible impact on society. "

To which I made two replies to show you that 1, the impact was discussed. And 2, it was discussed for 20 pages.


Feel free to take me out of context again though.






posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
It's great to see science get a big slap in the face because i find their attitudes in general just annoying



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
S&F! I couldnt put it better myself.

What does it mean for everyone? It means that anything is possible. There are no absolutes.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Sometimes I feel scientists trust to much information provided by prior research, by others, and concentrate on building on it. If the guy/girl before you was lost and you start your journey from that point then you too are lost... only more lost.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gibbajabba
It's great to see science get a big slap in the face because i find their attitudes in general just annoying


This latest piece of research has been made by scientists .....


This is how the process works . It is how all of our scientific understanding advances.


(Personally I think its best to wait until these results have been repeated independently elsewhere)



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB
 


Hey Leave off Einstein Man !! Scientists work within their means and the world they are in, He deserves to be worshipped as a special person in human evolution. Hey, Just had a thought. Wouldn't it make everything made of light if there was a direct correlation in some way between light particles and simple mass ? Otherwise surely the equation must fail ?



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB
 


Of course the clock could be wrong?
How does one measure something faster than the speed of light?
Sounds wrong.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB
 


It's funny. A few months ago I said that I believed faster than light travel is possible ( i didn't mean with human tech, just in general) and I hate all the brilliant physicist ATSer's down my throat over it.
edit on 24-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired
 


That doesn't seem like an impossible expirement. Wouldn't you just start nuetrinos and a light traveling at the same time and have sensors to determine which arrived first? Just like a race.

Or just know the speed of light and observe the speed of neutrinos.
edit on 24-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow
 


The difference in speed is in the order of a sixtieth of a billionth of a second?
Just querying whether something can measure a difference in speed accurately to this small degree?
What sort of clock?
Which led me to this link, where scientists are already doubting the results.
www.smh.com.au...
Neutrinos sure are an exciting subject, so thanks OP for this thread


It could mean a revolution in modern day physics as they are saying in this link.
edit on 24-9-2011 by Dr Expired because: added information




top topics



 
5
<<   2  3 >>

log in

join