It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin Is Back: Running For Presidency in 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

Vladimir Putin's decision to reclaim the presidency next year sets up the possibility that he could rule Russia until 2024 and foreshadows a continuation of the strongman rule that many in the West have called a retreat from democracy. Although Putin departed the Kremlin in 2008 due to term limits and moved about two kilometers (1.5 miles) down the road to the prime minister's office, in a sense he never left at all. He cannily used Russia's state-controlled national TV channels to remain the country's pre-eminent political figure, with appearances portraying himself as a bold adventurer in Russia's wilderness, a vigorous advocate of the country's global importance and, occasionally, as a bit of a rogue consorting with scruffy motorcyclists.

His hand-picked successor as president, Dmitry Medvedev, appeared as little more than a tame youngster in comparison — enthusing about Twitter and issuing earnest statements about the need for reforms, but achieving few tangible results. "He didn't do anything important, and I'm pretty sure they didn't let him do anything," said Vyachelsav Mazurkov, who was spending a cool fall afternoon in a Moscow park soon after the congress of Russia's dominant political party approved Putin's candidacy.

Although Medvedev had shown flashes of independence, particularly in denouncing the corruption that flourished during Putin's presidency, he was seen by many as simply a placeholder while Putin bided his time until he could legally return. If he wins the March 4 election — a near-certainty given his popularity and mastery of Russia's political system — Putin will return to a presidency even more powerful than when he left. In 2012, the presidential term will be extended to six years from four; he would be eligible to serve two terms and just a few weeks shy of turning 59, the avid martial-arts fan's health appears robust.

Not that he ever really gave up his power, as he was most likely leading from behind the scenes, but this means if he wins in his re-election bid, which I think he definitely will, he'll be president through 2024.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The only thing that would make this entire russian episode better is if ronald Reagen was alive today. His jokes on communism were funny...

Even before Putin left office talks were there about his return. If I am not mistaken I think the law was changed to a gap inbetween terms.

Serve the terms, do something else return next cycle.

The only thing he has done that I like was to change their national anthem back to that of the old Soviet Union, with some words changed.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
The only thing that would make this entire russian episode better is if ronald Reagen was alive today. His jokes on communism were funny...

Even before Putin left office talks were there about his return. If I am not mistaken I think the law was changed to a gap inbetween terms.

Serve the terms, do something else return next cycle.

The only thing he has done that I like was to change their national anthem back to that of the old Soviet Union, with some words changed.

From what I've gathered over the past few years, while Putins "position" changed, or "title" if you want to call it that, he never yielded any power to anyone, and still was fully in charge behind the scenes.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

Still the differences between the american presidents and putin, is that putin always goes to the people, shows up at events, sad but true, the russian like putin.
Putin shows off martial arts
Putin Heavy Metal

Did you see such, acts by the the american presidents? nope alot of times some american president are in the dark, oh yes i remember bill clintion and his jazz, but sometimes i wonder if the media didnt just staged it to make him look good?

edit on 24-9-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-9-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I agree that Putin has always been in charge! And, while as an American it is frightening in a way, I can't help but feel the guy's charisma. He has six pack abs, drives race cars, walks a tiger on a leash...former KGB, I mean come on, he's the Russian James Bond! I totally understand why the Russians like him. He has returned a sense of national pride that was missing after the fall of the Soviet Union. We could use one of our own. Not Perry though.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Actually that is because of the difference in the political setuips between the countries.

In the US, since we dont have a Prime Minister, the President is essentially 2 rolls in one - Head of State and Leader of the country.

Medev is President and form what ive researched is their Head of State. Putin is essentially like the Queen of England except with more power. He gets to do all the "fun" stuff - ribbon cutting, wresteling with polar bears, boxing with leopards and riding around on a horse that has not been seen since the dinosaur age shirtless.

Yes - he reminds me of the Russian version of Jersey Shore.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

Actually that is because of the difference in the political setuips between the countries.

In the US, since we dont have a Prime Minister, the President is essentially 2 rolls in one - Head of State and Leader of the country.

Medev is President and form what ive researched is their Head of State. Putin is essentially like the Queen of England except with more power. He gets to do all the "fun" stuff - ribbon cutting, wresteling with polar bears, boxing with leopards and riding around on a horse that has not been seen since the dinosaur age shirtless.

Yes - he reminds me of the Russian version of Jersey Shore.

Medev never had, or has any real power. Its always been Putin behind the scenes, since his last term was over. I will say, having Putin back in the forefront, does "spice" things up a little on the international scene, and makes things a little more interesting.

I wonder how the MSM will spin this leading up to 2012.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
is this the ultimate russian tag-team? i suspect the other candidates in the forthcoming elections will not fare as good as this partnership. wwf (world wide fight!) and putin is soon about to step into the ring!
regards f

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

What other candidates?
Anti-Putin parties have no chance in even making it to the ballot, much less defeating "United Russia" party.
It's turning into a dictatorship over there...

source

edit on 27-9-2011 by Konstantinos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbread

Warning: Way off topic. Hey hotbread, I loooovvvvvvvve your Avatar. After my experiences in my Lost 10 lbs in a week Thread, I'm fiddn to hunt me down some of dat.

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Konstantinos

i forgot to sprinkle that with sarcasm.

the run up to the elections will be interesting. after medvedevs' spat with his minister i suspect external news outlets will be itching to dish any dirt coming from the ex ministers end.
f

posted on Sep, 29 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Not to get all religious but "the king that once was is not but will be again" hmmmmm

top topics

join