It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid impact September 29th 2004

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
kix

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
We are being constantly bombarded by dust small rocks and asteroids all the time the problem is size and material.

A car size asteroid of a not very dense material (non metalic) maybe will reach the floor in a very small size a marble maybe, the same asteorid but full of metalic minerals and denser may reach the surface in a basketball size, and will make a small crater.
NOW, a large and potentially dangerous are the ones that will reach the surface in a size bigger than a house up to the size of a small stadium. And that is difficyult due to the fact that in that size the materials break up due to intense heat and gravity.
Anything bigger than that at the surface level will make huge damage and exactly like the yield in TNT of A bombs the size and shock wave will determine the radious of the damage.

No doubt that an asteroid the size of Toutatis could destroy a country the size of Spain and create a lot of problems if it lands on Sea, but not world wide destruction. its 2.3 miles in Diameter and has a relative velocity of 11 kms (not that fast as others).

The problem now is that with all the information, everyone wants to be the one saying LOOK THERE A BIG ONE COMING OUR WAY... guess what? it has happended before and will happen again in the future, and chances are that if it was true we would be kept in the dark because worldwide chaos and panic (remember when skylab came down from space?)

for better undestanding check this link with all the "probable" asteroids coming our way and their orbits etc:
THIS WILL SHOW YOU ALL THE DATA

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
And when this asteroid misses us, there will be another in October, and when that misses us there will be nuclear war, and when that doesnt happen........

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Pretty sure if an extremely large meteor/asteroid/whatever.. was about to hit (depending where on the Earth you are) you could probably look up and see it coming and would be able to see it for a couple of weeks before it hit. So chances are around September 14th-15th you should be able to see it in the sky.

Seriously though you honestly think that an extremely large asteroid would make it all the way to Earth without hitting another planet, moon, or astral body or even being disrupted when it passes any of these things mentioned ?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Its like ive always said: Doomsayers only have to be right ONCE!

At the end of the day we will be hit again look at the moon its been hit many times. Fact is we are all under threat from pole shift/gamma ray burst/alien invation/asteroids/ mankind experimenting on such stuff/whatever.

I dont care, because what can we do if it happens: nothing so crack open the tinnies, have a barbeq and chill and think what a good time of this world we are having over some poor sods there are about...

[edit on 27-8-2004 by rustiswordz]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
The one uncertainty our astronomers do not talk about is any "billiard ball," effect regarding celestial mechanics. Their assumption related forecasting depends upon the strict variable that no other celestial body will alter the course of Toutalis. That is not necessarily beyond prediction, but it is vastly more complicated than tracking any one of these near earth asteroids. Even a very small meteor the more distant, can substantially alter its course, and that is not also to mention the slingshot effect when gravitation makes its path different. Other objects would not have to actually strike an asteroid in order to divert its path.

Among the things that authority does not like to say is this: "I don't know."

Well that's my argument, namely we may know within the variables we define, but not outside of them. By the way almost every new discovery in science has the word "anamole," written somewhere about it. We should be prepared to use our best science when absolutely necessary to divert such an asteroid. If it is 50 years ahead of the ordinary public technology, as many people hypothesize, there should be no hesitation to use it appropriately.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:58 AM
link   
does anyone any good astromical forums?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DetectivePerez
notice the

TOUTATIS

is an asteroid which is supposed to pass about a million miles from Earth on September 29th, 2004.
in your links.

yes, i did in fact. My goal in posting this thread was to inform and invite discussion on this rumour, not to establish any prophecies. Am I clear to you all???

Of course, the asteroid will most likely not hit us, but one way or another, the world will end, one day, could be tommorow, next month, next year, in ten years.......

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kix
I am quite angry that these "predictions" of late are getting more wacky by the minute...

First all the so called predictions used to be some "years or centuries" into the future, and nowadays its like "we have 5 days left" we will ALL die on november 31 (there is no such day!:lol

The Asteroid will pass within 4 lunar distances so its chances of hiting us are as probable as Ralph Nader driving a chevy vintage Corvair in a blizzard!!!.

Do your own reading and then make a post do not invade the thread with more links so we have to dig your lack of reading skill-comprehension or worst.....

this thread draws me to 2 conclusions: (WARNING RANT MODE ON)

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE..SO LIVE NOW AND GET A FREAKIN LIFE....

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO DESPERATE TO GET ATTENTION OR POINTS IN ATS THAT THEYLL post ANYTHING

RANT MODE OFF !!!

so-rry!!!! I 'm a newcomer and trust me my intentions are not what you're thinkin' buddy. Some people have being so desensitised by world disasters and stuff like 9/11 they have lost their logic, we must all be vigilant in times such as these, life is more fragile than ever.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Look!! Over There!!! It's a Wolf!! Wolf!! Someone Help me! Wolf!!

ugh

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
An astroid doesn't have to collide with the planet to cause damage. Toutatis will likely NOT hit us, but there is a good chance that when it passes through our orbital plane it will spark a solar flare from the sun which will be directed right at us...and THAT is what we need to be worried about. How many X-class flares can this planet take?

kix

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Armageddon believer, let me tell you it was not my intention to be rude I am a newbie here myself BUT the events of 9/11 and the MEGA propaganda about the terrible threats of terrorism and doomsday probabilities have made a lot of people in this world afraid to LIVE, they allways believe something bad is going to happen, come on just put 6 minutes of FOX news and you will hear the word terrorism (believe me I have done it countless times) so after 3 or four years of the same bulldung you get depresed and tend to believe just about anything they tell you (HITLER DID IT WITHOUT TV!!).
My point is if there is really a chance an asteroid will hit and change the planet-can you stop it? will you go to the north pole and abandon everything ? the best thing you can do is LIVE and CARE about the ones around you, chances are that yuo may do nothing and survive or do a lot and die anyway so why waste precious time in running scared.....

Ill tell you someting that happened to a friend of mine:

He was suposed to be in JP morgan offices in the WTC on 9/11, his meeting was at 10 am he woke up early and went to WTC and stopped at a restaurant 5-6 blocks away from WTC, he was having breakfast when they heard a noise, and the T.V. changed the history they were airing and they geot the news an airliner crashed, he kept having breakfast and watching tv as almost all in the restaurant.
He tought "here goes my trip to NY and my meeting"...sirens all over the place then WHAM the other airplane, everyone gasped, and he began watching people run on the street, more police and sirens, someone entered the restaurant and shouted "they say that there are more planes highjacked and they are coming to manhattan" PANDEMONIUM ENSUED, everyone went out and ran...HE DID, he ran about 4 blocks everyone was scared , he was crazy then he calmed down and thought " I am nuts I dont live here, where Am I running to...?" he realized he had pannicked (SP?) and was doinf nothing impostant he realized he left is cell phone in the restaurant so he had to walk to his hotel and try to phone home....it was a nightmare....He was stuck in NY for a week before he could return to Mexico, in those days he went outside and did not watch the TV, I told him man I dont even live in the US and was glued to the TV for 5 days, and he told me "watching those planes and the mayhem that ensued is horrible, I cant believe they let those be aired so many times and scare the $$$ out of poeple so badly, everyone was frightened as hell, and when you are frightenes all the time YOU DONT THINK"

So in sep 29 go to bed thinking there will be a tomorrow cause there will be one...

And by the way there wont be a solar flare COME ON toutatis is less than 10 miles wide and will pass at 4 lunar distances, the Moon is closer (one lunar distace) and its a LOT BIGGER and I have never EVER seen a solar flare caused by the moon, so COME ON.......let me live...

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
The moon is pretty much in the same orbital plane as the earth and moves so slowly that it doesn't create enough of an energy disturbance to trigger flares. Space debree has the best chance of igniting a solar flare when it's big, fast, close to the sun, and approaching the orbital plane head-on (perpendicular to the plane). Distance from the earth specifically isn't such a big factor, except that you don't want a flare-attracting object near earth when the flare is released, much like you don't want to stand near a lightning rod during a lightning storm.

This thing is still fairly far away, but it's a bit bigger than the others that have come this close, and moving at a pretty good speed. However, it isn't very perpendicular to the orbital plane so maybe that will dampen the effect. Either way, I'm not saying a solar flare will mark the end of the world by any means...just like you make an effort to stay out of the sun when the weather man says the UV index is very high, the world will likely need to prepare to fix some power grids, move some satelites out of harms way, delay rocket launches, and avoid long exposure to sunlight for a few days at the end of September.

SMR

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   
As said,these things come near us all the time.Some close,some VERY close,and others not worth worrying about.

The fact is,it's going to happen everyday until the 'big' one does hit us.It happened before and will again.When that will be has been debated but the fact is,that some huge rock will come our way and will hit us.I think I can safely say though,that we will not be here.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Yes, enough already. I've maxed my credit cards 12 times already, yet I end up having to pay the damn thing off............YOU will not catch me again.

LL1

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Missed, we will be fine:

www.rasnz.org.nz...

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rai76
does anyone any good astromical forums?

here ya go:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.badastronomy.com...
www.astronomy.com...

you can find some others on your own... they're out there.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
The IMPACT , selon the prophet Mr. MEIER (maybe is OK) ?!!!
Let me taill you somethings.
Mr. MEIER (BILLY) was a genuin contacted Eart man.
Just after (it's my opinion) the brain is going away.
ATENTIONS: THE BIG SOCRATES WAS THE SAME WAY !
Well, my teacher was exactly SOCRATES! I was yong. OK!
I am sure in the begining Mr. Meier was contacted .
Good ,if one of you is a bahk-boss did you give a credit
tor the homeless people?

regards chapo

LL1

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Clear pics/change the date to September 29, 2004:

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 29-8-2004 by LL1]

LL1

posted on Aug, 29 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
In the year 2006 looks like trouble:
824 Impacts??????

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

kix

posted on Aug, 30 2004 @ 12:16 AM
link   
The 824 impacts are from a period of time check your data...COME ON>>>>!!!

Also Check the probabilities: 6.5 Xminus 5 thats a point and 5 zeros and then the number, so , rest that we are not going to die...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join