It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how to make money in the global financial meltdown...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
ok so this is partly how to make money when in recession
but also in normal times..
i really want to find the simplest most lucrative idea.
things such as.
good stuff to buy/make and sell
low cost start up businesses
online ways
local ways
anything really

ive been into domains for a while and it can be good if you research research research. but can end up taking a lot of time.
i also try go around and buy stuff from op shops/garage sales etc and hock em off for profit. ive been lucky enough to find some expensive stuff that was selling dirt cheap
but this can often be impossible
i used to watch and learn the stock market but obviously that horse isnt running anymore
what other ways do you know
what’s been successful for you

its a tricky world, but sometimes it only takes a good idea to make money
some people work their whole lives for f all pay and i dont want that to be me

also please no 'sell drugs' as i would eat them

mods- sorry if this is in the wrong catergory, it wouldnt let me see the full list of catergories on the 'top topics' page
edit on 24-9-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
"One persons junk, another persons treasure", enough said in that one quote, i make 100's just selling stuff that people are throwing away.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1
"One persons junk, another persons treasure", enough said in that one quote, i make 100's just selling stuff that people are throwing away.

are you from dale farm?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itop1

got any hints as to where to look and what to look for?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm going to try this:

Even if and when TSHTF, I will have free food! This is no get rich quick scheme, there is actual WORK involved, but definitely a low startup cost DIY project.
edit on 24-9-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
My approach has been to ignore the whole financial meltdown, and do things as if there weren't one.

I took a risk and invested most of my short-term savings ($12k) in starting up an online shop a couple years ago and in May this year I was able to quit my job and go with it full time. I also started another company with a friend which we're building up to be a long-term career.

I decided that the only way for doing something I enjoy and making a real living was to work for myself. Having the skills to build my own website and such only added to the concept.

Find a market that isn't saturated with competition, find how you can improve on existing businesses and then go for it. At worst, you'll end up right where you started. However, you'll have learnt a LOT along the way.
edit on 24-9-2011 by NewDamage because: additions to text

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
I'm going to try this:

Even if and when TSHTF, I will have free food! This is no get rich quick scheme, there is actual WORK involved, but definitely a low startup cost DIY project.
edit on 24-9-2011 by CaptChaos because: (no reason given)

nice, but isnt he taking that water from aquafilers? would take a lot of water depending on how big your going, and then theres evaporation
i dont have anything in place but im glad i have a greenthumb if tshtf, will come in very handy

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
double post

edit on 24-9-2011 by UniverSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NewDamage
My approach has been to ignore the whole financial meltdown, and do things as if there weren't one.

I took a risk and invested most of my short-term savings ($12k) in starting up an online shop a couple years ago and in May this year I was able to quit my job and go with it full time. I also started another company with a friend which we're building up to be a long-term career.

I decided that the only way for doing something I enjoy and making a real living was to work for myself. Having the skills to build my own website and such only added to the concept.

Find a market that isn't saturated with competition, find how you can improve on existing businesses and then go for it. At worst, you'll end up right where you started. However, you'll have learnt a LOT along the way.
edit on 24-9-2011 by NewDamage because: additions to text

good work, ive been looking at doing something along these lines but im lazy
the one thing i need to work out is a good product.

good luck on your plans, i hope you do well.
thanks for the info

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Good ideas are a dime a dozen.
The hard part is making that idea into a working form..

If you could create a work at home program for other
people with the same mind set as you and then sell that
it could catch on.

Scrap metalling is good in times like these, especially when
metals are at a high.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

I have a friend, that does the garage sale thing, and he also searches peoples trash on garbage night....he seems to enjoy it. A few months back he found a box of magazines from the 70's on the side of the road...i believe he said it was vanity magazine? Anyways, he sold the entire box to a buyer on ebay for a little over a thousand dollars. The saying is definetly true, another mans trash is another mans treasure.

He's a pretty smart guy and always has new ideas to make legitimate money. He always says the key is to "think outside of the box".

I honestly can say I dont let this economic meltdown bother me. I try to be smart with my money and only missed 3 days of work in the last 3 years. I make the best with what I got. I do side work for people whenever the opportunity arises, and I'm tryin to think outside of the box aswell! haha...I have many ideas to make some money but just need to find the motivation to get them going.

We need more people around the world to think outside of the box!! Lets support the men and women outside of the corporate world, We dont need to rely on them for everything.

And remember, money isnt everything...it comes and goes..I know its hard to stay optimistic all the time, and its hard to be financially secure in these times. Think locally..think logically, support the small businesses, support the little guy!!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I am in agreement with the posters who are saying "One man's trash is another man's treasure." For the past three years, I have made a substantial amount of money selling other people's "trash." By substantial I don't mean rich, I mean enough to pay the bills with and not worry about it. I started doing this based on my personal theory that in a bad economy more people will buy used goods.

These are the things I have done:

1.) I went through my entire house and got rid of anything I did not need or want. Either by donating it (cheap items) or selling it. You may be surprised what people will pay for, especially if they consider it to be "collectible." In addition to making a profit, I got closer towards my Minimalist Lifestyle goal.

2.) Having always been a garage sale and thrift store shopper, I started picking up items to sell in addition to shopping for myself. The more experience you get selling the better you will be at spotting items you know you can sell for a big profit.

I won't start listing items I had that sold really well, or things I bought and sold for a ridiculous amount, because that would take all day. But, to the poster whose friend found a box of Vanity magazines and sold the whole box for $1,000....that is not impossible to do. Deals like this happen. Usually you will find many smaller deals, but $1,000 do happen. This is something that anyone can do to make some extra money, if they have the time to invest.

Good luck.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by UniverSoul

pet sitting and dog walker business is easy money. i wouldn't do it in a city but in the suburbs, one at a time, is not bad. making sure your client has a credit card # on file with a local vet in case of emergency is a detail that may come in handy.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Did i miss you giving your own ideas on how to make money? Is this thread merely a solicitation of advice? To be honest, that kind of information is something I charge money for.

BTW, when there is a global meltdown, there will be no such thing as money. You can't make what doesn't exist. In that case, i recommend trading in lead. It will be accepted anywhere.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Heh heh heh that lead comment got me...I work roofing from time to time, and the old lead vents weigh a fair amount.
I can make downrigger balls out of the ones we replace.
Its a simple process of melting the lead and filling the mold.
The Balls get ripped off on the bottom quite regularly actually.All fishermen are day dreamers.......
The market is endless right now....at 25$ a pop heheheheheheh

top topics

join