It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is it Possible We Don't know where a SIX TON Satellite Fell?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
How is this possible with all of the tracking equipment in the sky? How could we not be able to track it?

WASHINGTON (AP) -- NASA's dead 6-ton satellite plunged to Earth early Saturday, but more than eight hours later, U.S. space officials didn't know just where it hit. They thought the fiery fall was largely over water and the debris probably hurt no one.

Seems to me they know but don't want us to know.

Nasa Doesn't Know so Stop Calling

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

they know hot damn well where that damn alien coffin is.

has the FBI put a man on the moon? NO! yet they know when you pee and how many liters it is!!

hell yea NASA knows where it is. they probably locked it up and went out to lunch!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I lost my bike once. It was difficult to find, so I know how they are feeling. Of course, my bike didn't weigh 20 tons, cost millions upon millions or fall from the sky...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I like the last line of the quote above "...and it probably didn't hurt anyone...

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I'm telling you guys, it's those damn Transformers at it again! Fawk you Megatron! No you can't has my Allspark!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
So this just further confirms my theory that the crazier the world gets, the sooner The Onion will be out of business. If The Onion came out with a story "6 ton satellite falls to earth...NASA not sure where it landed" we would find it witty satire, but oh wait...

edit on 24-9-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
They're bull#ting us, of course they know where it is. If they have the funds to track and observe us, can't they do the same for that expensive piece of space junk ?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
First, they have an idea of where it landed. You make it sound like it could be anywhere in the world. Second, it broke into many pieces-- about 26 or so of greatly varying size. Further, the satellite was defunct, so there was no tracking system on it or able to connect to it.

It made entry over the Pacific, so it mostly landed in the ocean. However, they estimated it would have a 500 mile debris field, so I am sure they can narrow it down to 1000 mile radius or so. Given the size of the planet, that's a fairly good approximation.

The reason, IMO, they are saying they don't know is because they don't have exact coordinates of every piece. Saying "somewhere in the Pacific" wouldn't sound professional enough to start spewing to everyone contacting them.

Not to mention the fact they don't want people to try and go pick up the pieces!! I'm sure they will release more precise locations once they collect it all....or it has time to sink. Whichever happens first.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
me thinks NASA has pretty much been on cruise control since they wrapped up the main project(see link)

www.theonion.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

What I am curious about is...

We can track the darn thing, and while it may have bounced about the atmosphere like a rock on water, we could still track it.

Seems like it would have been a perfect target for a couple of ASATs while over the ocean.

We do need to test them from time to time. This would have been a perfect opportunity.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
FROM NASA

NASA’s decommissioned Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite fell back to Earth between 11:23 p.m. EDT Friday, Sept. 23 and 1:09 a.m. EDT Sept. 24. The Joint Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California said the satellite entered the atmosphere over the North Pacific Ocean, off the west coast of the United States. The precise re-entry time and location of any debris impacts are still being determined. NASA is not aware of any reports of injury or property damage.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

I am in the process (seriously) of writing a thread about how the Onion is now a more reliable newssource than CNN or FOX.

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
They're bull#ting us, of course they know where it is. If they have the funds to track and observe us, can't they do the same for that expensive piece of space junk ?

Two different animals. They can track us via cell phones, working cameras, electronic transactions, etc. It is usually a combination of multiple pieces of technology. The satellite was no longer working. There was no way to "connect" to it, nor was it's on board locator still functioning.

Lastly, NASA was providing updates throughout the day yesterday telling us approximately where it was. It's not like they completely lost a school-bus size piece of equipment. However, upon entry, it broke up into numerous pieces with many completely burning up. They have stated it made entry over the Pacific. While still a large area, it's not the same as saying it could have landed anywhere in the world.

link   
Maybe if it hit one of them on the head they would have a clue about what gravity actually is

link   
Maybe because in comparison to the planet 6 tons isn't that much? If it dropped in the pacific that's a lot of ocean to cover.

link   
reply to post by spaceg0at

God I love that news source. It is my favorite. One of my friends got approched on the street, the guy took a pic and walla! My buddy was "drunk of the week" that week. Awesome.

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I had a roommate once who was psychic. No, she really was. Proved it to me a half a dozen different times and ways.

Anyway, she told me about a trick. When you lose something and are frustrated, just stop and say; Kathy's Grandma, please help me find such-and-such, and then state your reason for needing to find it. Usually, I get an idea right after I say this and when I follow up, there is the lost article.

This has worked for me so many times. Not only that but she told me to feel free to tell others about it if I wanted to. Almost everyone has come back and reported that it works. Including my current boss!

I'll shoot NASA an email and we'll get Kathy's grandma on the case.

BTW, this is not a joke. Try it, it really does work.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Ittabena

Laughing - yes, it is a distinct possibility NASA is asking for gammy's help right now...lol

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Understood, and thanks for the logical response. I must watch too much bs because it would seem to me we would be able to pinpoint every move and even have film planes in place to catch it burning up in pieces...just me.

CJ

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I guarantee you...the military tracked every single itty bitty piece of that sucker....nuff said.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join