It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Turkey: Embargo Imposed on Syria

page: 1
4

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Turkey: Embargo Imposed on Syria


www.nytimes.com

Turkey has imposed an arms embargo against Syria for its brutal crackdown on the country’s uprising, and it has stopped a Syrian-flagged ship, the prime minister said Friday.
(visit the link for the full news article)




posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I am almost wondering if the tension between the EU/Israel and Turkey is a ruse. By Turkey distancing itself from the West, it allows it to take on Syria without looking like a pawn of NATO, but a new regional leader.

The news of this embargo for some reason hasn't become major news in US MSM, but we of course are not the target audience. It will be picked up and ran with by Middle Eastern news media, where it will have more of an impact.

The big story in all of this? Turkey is asserting its dominance of the region and Iranian weapons will no longer get to Syria and even technically Hezbollah, which depends on that logistics network.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24/9/11 by MikeboydUS because: spelling



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
I don't get the motive behind this move by Turkey. Is it because Erdogan wants to stop the violence against the protesters or to stop the armament by Iran? Or maybe both?
S&F!

CHEERS
edit on 24-9-2011 by KnocksMeDead because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS
 


even still i think america and NATO needs avoid a war with Syria, the Syrian Rebels have and had already started to burn Russias flags, China Flahs but not americas flag? ok i find that pretty odd as if the Syrian Rebel are western agents.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by MikeboydUS
 


even still i think america and NATO needs avoid a war with Syria, the Syrian Rebels have and had already started to burn Russias flags, China Flahs but not americas flag? ok i find that pretty odd as if the Syrian Rebel are western agents.


I don't find it too odd. Russia and China helped arm Syria. The regime is using Russian and Chinese weapons to kill the insurgents. If they burn Iranian flags then it even makes more sense. That would be like Hamas burning US flags.

NATO should try to avoid any conflict though. If Turkey wants to build a new empire they should do it without our help. We have better things to waste money on, like bailing out the EU.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Syria will be used, as an example to Israel, by Turkey.

Soldiers will be on the border, within a month.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Probably just Turkey trying to get in the EU for 2013 by hasslin Syria. Who knows, we might even demand they go to war with them. One of the few countries who could probably afford a war right now, and probably a good thing for the EU, we get massive industrialized nation with a modern military right on the border with Asia.

Sucks to be Syria. Oh well.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Syria will be used, as an example to Israel, by Turkey.

Soldiers will be on the border, within a month.


I wouldn't be surprised by that move.

I wonder how that would effect negotiations for the Golan?



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I am almost wondering if the tension between the EU/Israel and Turkey is a ruse. By Turkey distancing itself from the West, it allows it to take on Syria without looking like a pawn of NATO, but a new regional leader.

The news of this embargo for some reason hasn't become major news in US MSM, but we of course are not the target audience. It will be picked up and ran with by Middle Eastern news media, where it will have more of an impact.

The big story in all of this? Turkey is asserting its dominance of the region and Iranian weapons will no longer get to Syria and even technically Hezbollah, which depends on that logistics network.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24/9/11 by MikeboydUS because: spelling


Good. As far as i am concerned hezbollah, hamas and any other terrorist organization needs to be utterly destroyed. Terrorism is the weapon of a coward and i spit on anyone using those tactics to spread fear.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnze
Probably just Turkey trying to get in the EU for 2013 by hasslin Syria. Who knows, we might even demand they go to war with them. One of the few countries who could probably afford a war right now, and probably a good thing for the EU, we get massive industrialized nation with a modern military right on the border with Asia.

Sucks to be Syria. Oh well.


Rofl. Why would Turkey join the EU? Turkey has more money and more technology than all the states of the EU combined. Joining the EU would just drag their economy down 'cuz the EU is breaking up. It's going bellyup and soon its members will be throwing their euros in the dirt and pissing on them.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
Good. As far as i am concerned hezbollah, hamas and any other terrorist organization needs to be utterly destroyed. Terrorism is the weapon of a coward and i spit on anyone using those tactics to spread fear.


I agree. It's good that Turkey is standing up in that region to these terrorists. Someone has to. Be they from Iran, Syria or the Knesset.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS
 


I've felt this to be a ruse since day one.. especially some of the comments coming out but everyone seemed to want to read the situation as it appeared rather than a game within a game to give Turkey the distance and space to react in way the other Western nations couldn't with regard to Syria.

I thought I smelt fishy things when the talk was of Libya and the RAF moving Typhoons to Cyprus
bit pointless unless something else was in the offing.. I guess we will see soon enough.



posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Syria will be used, as an example to Israel, by Turkey.

Soldiers will be on the border, within a month.


It's WIN WIN, Israel and Iran both get to view a message.



new topics

top topics



 
4

log in

join