It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does Your religion Do for you?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 02:04 AM
link   
This is a genuine question, (Not a dig) , if your book is the bible or the quran or anyother scripture then what does your religion mean to you personally? Why do you have so much faith in something that can never be proven and is under constant scrutiny? If you weren't brought up in your religion then what made you choose it? If you were brought up then don't you think you may hve been influenced or slightly brainwashed to follow that particular religion because of your parents thus taking away your true choice, and do you think that you would have still followed your particular faith if your parents hadn't? these are genuine questions I am doing some research on religion and psychology, and would like to know what people GENUINE thoughts and feelings on their religion are, as well as WHY? people are religious. thankyou

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Oh, what the heck, I'll field this one I guess, since nobody else decided to respond.
Everything I say will of course be a generalization from my own perspective since the specific reasons of each individual vary from one to the next and I can't speak for others.

I would say the Primary reason that people adhere to any religion is that it provides them with the 'answers' to most or all of their difficult 'questions'. The same reason we all look in a 'cookbook' for a recipe or through a 'phone book' for a phone number. Only in the case of religion, the questions are much more difficult to find the answers to, unlike finding out the number to pizza hut.

Some people find the answers they need or wanted to find and some don't. The ones who do usually stay with those while others usually will look elsewhere. But basically, what these people get, or what it 'does for them' is it gives them closure to the questions and a sense of security in knowing what to do, how to act, what to think, etc.

Think about it. If you have to overhaul your engine in your car, but don't know anything about how an automobile or engine works, isn't it much faster & easier on you to have a book(s) or teacher(s) to show you what to do instead of having to figure it all out yourself???

Along that same line of thinking, a few other questions also come up...
Which method would most likely provide you the better education and understanding 'in the end'???

Does everyone always understand what is taught and/or read the same as everyone else???

Do all the books and/or teachers teach the same material or even in the same way as the others???

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 04:57 AM
link   
It stops me from exploring new spiritual, moral and intellectual ground.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
It stops me from exploring new spiritual, moral and intellectual ground.

I'm sure that would equally true for a lot of other people as well. Like I was saying earlier, 'It provides the answers people are looking for or will agree with'. If a book or group of 'teachers' tell you what your morals should be you don't need to develop them yourself. Same goes for many other questions like, 'Why am I here, What made the Universe, etc.

This does not work the same for everyone though however. While Corinthas finds such endeavors as barriers, many others do in fact find a lot of information and useful insight from religious study. Many times that information is hidden and/or found 'between the lines' so to speak, as well as in plain view. It all depends on the person really.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Back when I was brough up catholic (yes, I actually was), I found it all just to be mindless rituals and stagnant traditions that were followed without asking why one should follow them. Just my personal experience by the age of 9. To each their own.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Some people look at religion as a label more than a belief. I just shake my head at these people. I use to be a religions zealot, always trying to justify what I believed with passages form the bible and the quran. I saw people as sheep ( including my self) and the only way for me to free my self was to learn, and find �truth�. I was watching this moive yesterday with Dustin Hoffman where he saved theses people from a plane. He was talking to his son and said� When your young you always look for truth. Well the son the truth is there is no truth it just all bull#, layers of it. You just got to find the layer of bull# that you are most comfortable with.� Now that is a little harsh but I think that ultimate truth is not with in our grasps as humans. Were supposed to be deceived. How else would you get the brilliant minds like Einstein, Galileo and Aristotle? If we were told everything there would be no reason for us to be here. No lessons to be leaned.

if your book is the bible or the quran or anyother scripture then what does your religion mean to you personally?

I don�t really ascribe to any religious label but I think that my views are more along the lines of Islam. Not because of what I read in a book. But because of what I believe in my heart. This outside world is just but an illusion if you ask me. Words and writing are just an expression of thought. Thought is a pure feeling and when you put your thoughts into words then write them to paper something get lost in the translation sort of speak. There are certain feeling that words can�t describe. I have been on a pretty long journey theses years on this earth. All I can do is to treat people with kindness and try not to get hurt in the process. That is my religion, sort of say.

Why do you have so much faith in something that can never be proven and is under constant scrutiny?

There are a lot of things that I believe that I can not prove for the simple fact that I am the one who sees them. There is no way you can prove that dreams are another reality. Many of the passages in the bible are based on dreams men had thousands of years ago, yet science tell us that dreams are nothing more than � useless brain activity�. If that is the case many people who believe in the revelations are just believe in �useless brain activity�

If you weren't brought up in your religion then what made you choose it? If you were brought up then don't you think you may have been influenced or slightly brainwashed to follow that particular religion because of your parents thus taking away your true choice, and do you think that you would have still followed your particular faith if your parents hadn't?

My mom grew up Christian my father grew up Muslim then converted to Christianity. I went to church all the time with my mom when I was little. Then when we moved away form my neighborhood our old church closed down and that feeling of family went away with it. I have studied many different beliefs and see ca commonality between all of them. Eventually we humans on earth will have one belief structure. If it is the wrong one then God like he usually odes will send down a messenger to tell us what were doing is wrong. We will kill the messenger and then 2000 years later we will worships him.

I�m trying to follow in the footsteps of those that came before me. I have blocked out the static of the world and the repetition of the zealots quoting verses to proved there beliefs. This is my journey and I have stumbled a couple of times along the way. My love for life and creation is genuine. My love for God is even greater because God has gotten me to the realization that I am at today. I am no longer in search of a definite truth. I only wish to understand what is around me. That is all I can really do.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
The Bible has a lot of wisdom in it- love thy neighbour, Mark of the Beast, heads of the Beast, how to trade. Even if you don't believe the spiritual parts of it there are words of value in it. If aetheists are right about Christianity, then nothing happens when they die. If aetheists are wrong, they goto Hell. If Christians are wrong, nothing happens, if they're right, up to Heaven they go. Which is a better gamble?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I was brought up strict Southern Baptist.
If you just had a thought that was "bad" you were going to hell. Several fire and brimstone preachers scared the hell out of me. Pardon the pun. I felt like I could'nt even breathe without going to hell.
I refused to go back to church when I was 16.
Anyway since I still believe there is a God I have tried to take the best of what I've found in several religions.
What I have found above all is that the greatest power there is..
is love, being positive, helping your fellow man. Having faith in the lord above.
I decided that my God was not a God of vengeance who sends you to hell on a dime but a God of love and forgiveness.
I go to church occasionally but only if the people in it are friendly, casual, and would'nt turn Jesus out for having long hair and bare feet.
What this does for me is help me be a better person. Especially in being more tolerant of other's differences. It's just too bad I had to come to my own plan for what I believe.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If a person does it for the right reasons and doesn't stop - thinking they have found the right, it is good. The search for God should never stop - "Seek ye first the kingdom of God".

It has helped my life a lot. If you can get past the 'noise' of life, you can really hear his spirit speak. God has led me through things that still amaze me. It is very personal and deep.

You can't hear him if you doubt, he doesn't provide proof. You can't hear him if you do it for the wrong reason. You must search and submit to him. Folks are too proud to submit. I feel bad for those who don't believe, because I know he's real - but I cannot prove it.

I am not stupid, tested borderline genius in a government IQ test. It so illogical to think there is no God. So hard to except meeting folks who are very intelligent, but don't believe - don't believe without first looking for the truth.

Religion isn't for the government to control. The more money is in sin and crime. Without them, there would be no need for police, security, guns, laws, fences, locks, monitoring, prisons and so many other things that help the economy and the rich. Peace is not profitable.

Without religion, I'd be in prison or dead.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I am christian but I don't suscribe to any church.I just try to read the Bible.

catholics practice Idolatry,invent saints,prayers,and kept people ignorant for 1000 years.protestants are not any better.Well i shouldn't be judging them...

[edit on 26-8-2004 by DarkSide]

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
religion dosnt mean anything to me because I dont think god exists.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I don't classify the truth as religeon (I realize thats a strong statement) but in my situation my perspectives (I feel) have advanced because of it.

People don't read things correctly (if you understand me)
They will dwell on one aspect of the Book (whether Quran or Bible)
Instead of looking at it as a whole, like looking at it as "EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON" or (I'm really not sure if ANYONE will get this) but there is no right or wrong, there just .is. (example)

(47) Jesus said, "A person cannot (at the same time) mount two horses or draw two bows. And a slave cannot serve two masters, but truly will honor the one and scoff at the other. No person drinks vintage wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins lest they burst. And vintage wine is not put into new wineskins lest it go bad. And old patches are not sewed to new garments, for a rip will develop."
(source) www.gospelthomas.com...

One thing I will say is don't believe the current "Church" in power (Vatican/Rome etc.) One of the strongest gospels has been unapproved (The Gospel According to Didymos Judas Thomas/ St. Thomas)
in these writings you'll see how Jesus was not here to "bring peace"
he was here to bring an end to the law an end to judgement
(if you read correctly that is [Even what IS in the bible])
Though the way it was articulately written is "Died for Our Sins"
(Which he did do aswell, but there was a reason for that)
So that we may live by faith
You may take what I'm saying as BS, I could care less
Those who know the knowledge in the bible should know what I'm saying

"The Kingdom of God resides within" (Please understand me)
-
Jesus says: "Split a piece of wood and I am there, Lift a stone and I will be there"

Why do we make things so complicated? Look into things so deeply?
"And he said: He who shall find the interpretation of these words shall not taste of death. "

May I ask this one simple question?
Who is splitting the wood?, Who is lifting the stone?
You are! The kingdom of God resides within you

Although we're pack with doubt from birth (hence, born with sin)
We are told we cannot do certain things (i.e. Moving a mountain)
Those impressions stay in our brain even though we might not conciously be thinking about it.
(Ever wonder why whenever you do something "You can NEVER do again" you aren't really thinking at all about it)

I know I didn't directly answer your specific questions but I did in a round-a-bout way.

I urge you to do some reading
www.gospelthomas.com...

Thank You.

[edit on 26/8/04 by dnero6911]

[edit on 27/8/04 by dnero6911]

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Hi thanks for some great answers
more than what I expected
Some people gives them answers, some dont believe and some have had bad experience which has put them off

ok one of the things I thought about was , we surely must know that the bible etc is not the ORIGINAL scripture, i mean god knows how much is lost through out translation has anyone ever thought about that? And when people say preachers scare people into believing ask yourself this question " Is there anyplace scarier or more demanding than earth?" What that means is , life is very hard mentally and physically for everyone, yes even millionaires
How can we not already be on hell, look around , every negative emotion, every dark act, every bad thought and physical pain is here , right here on this very world, there can't be a place worse than this? right?

Personally I believe if something serves the purpose of good No matter what that is, ie (bible to some, no belief to others) then that has to be a good thing, I also believe no one religion is correct, but they all are a piece of something? if only people could grasp that, instead of arguing which religion is right and which is wrong! I strongly believe that every thought Good and bad, has to go somewhere! for every bad thought , someone somewhere has just had bad luck or its manifesting itself somewhere beyond. Likewise for every loving thought and happy impulse someone out there that needs that good thought will get it, (maybe that is where praying comes from?) think about it, you pary for someone, what are you doing? you are sending out positive thoughts and energy for that person, so it makes sense that you can also send out negative energy, so be careful.

Question to people that don't believe? why? You don't believe in god, is there something you do believe in?

thanks again, and just for the record I am not religious in the sense of the word, I believe all religions , I am still unsure about One god.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Again I quote

(47) Jesus said, "A person cannot (at the same time) mount two horses or draw two bows. And a slave cannot serve two masters, but truly will honor the one and scoff at the other. No person drinks vintage wine and immediately desires to drink new wine. And new wine is not put into old wineskins lest they burst. And vintage wine is not put into new wineskins lest it go bad. And old patches are not sewed to new garments, for a rip will develop."

To me there is no Right or Wrong... There just is... They cannot co-exist together... There is just meaning/reason (The english language sucks for explaining) (even though this is the only language I speak)

If you dwell on the negative aspect of things, that is where you are "Hell"
If you dwell on the positive things in the negative things (because every situation can be a bad one or a good one / even recieving free money)
then we would be living in Heaven.

People look for Heaven, which is quite funny I think

(3) Jesus said, "If those who lead you (plur.) say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in heaven,' then the birds of heaven will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. But the kingdom is inside of you. And it is outside of you. "When you become acquainted with yourselves, then you will be recognized. And you will understand that it is you who are children of the living father. But if you do not become acquainted with yourselves, then you are in poverty, and it is you who are the poverty."

(113) His disciples said to him, "When is the kingdom going to come?" , "It is not by being waited for that it is going to come. They are not going to say, 'Here it is' or 'There it is.' Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out over the earth, and people do not see it."

(42) Jesus said: Become passers-by!

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:59 AM
link   
It makes me happy. It guides me, keeps me sane, comforts me when no one else will, when say this though it is not the "religion" realy I am speaking of god, but I will say religion for the sake of the convo. It also answers question that no one on earth could. It helps me make the right decisions, and teaches me when i don't. It shows me that there is more than the eyes can see, the nose can smell, and the ears can hear. The things I have seen, that, well , are mind boggoling, realy make me happy, I know that seriously speaking, me and my wife, the women of whom I love so much and never want to leave... will be together forever.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:13 AM
link   
since I dont think god exists what do I believe ? Well I believe that just because we cant explain something it dosnt mean that it was a UFO or an act of god. For example people use to think (because they had read it in a bible.) that there was a river of gold in africa. Prester Johon was also spose to be around somewhere. As we have come to understand the world in terms of Science we have moved away from the ideals of the "church". All this began with Dawins theory of evolution.

Of course the bible has changed over time people have rewrote it to suit there agends.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I understand your point, but the Bible has not be rewrittem to fit anyones needs, if so we would ahve a version right now that says we could get drunk and have countless sex partners, as for writing off what people say are miracles as science. I for one, have to agree that somtimes, and for the most part the are not miracles. But let me tell you a story, I am in my twenties, and married. My wife as a Child had a massive underbite. It was effecting her breathing and her ability to eat, she was 5. After taking extensive x-rays and doing test, it was confirmed that her Jaw would have to be surgically broken "simple version" and moved into place, as if it was not, the breathing problems and eating problems would cause health complications. Now 2 weeks later her day of surgery was set. Her day "my father in law" did not have insurance, nor did the mom, he was a contractor who worked on homes and had his own small business. Big surgery+no insurance = serious financial debt. So they began to pray, a lot. Finnaly at Church a old man prayed for her. The next day her Jaw was in its right place, her cruked teath have had straightened in a year. I can only tell you that I am being tottaly honest, and that I realize that anything over the internet can seem fishy, but her Doctors could not explain it, They no idea, her parent left them in dumbfounded. This is just one of the storys that I have. Now are there a lot of people running around saying that they found their Keys and its a miracle? Yeah shore, I agree, but, 1 out of a 1000 are true, and I sear by it.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Okay then why has the bible changed then?

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
you have apoint xpert11 , thats exactly what i said earlier in my thread, the bible or any other scripture has been " Mis-translated" I dont believe it has been changed on purpose, maybe just misunderstood? but ultimately it's up to each individual to choose his/her own pathway, thanks for the responses

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'd probably follow a religion that thinks like this:

Energy is everywhere, god is all around us, there is good in every evil, hightened sense of awareness is a hightened self of yourself, total awareness is wisdom, knowledge, intelligence...

Would that be buddhism, shamanism, I don't know.. it's just what I think, and i'm always trying to keep this in my conscience mind, but it's a battle...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join