It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Humanity Withstand An Invasion Of Earth By Evil Aliens From Outer Space?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by vedatruth

Originally posted by Frostmore
I can't think of any way that we could withstand interstellar technology... It's kind of like sticks vs. nukes.

We are no longer carrying 'sticks'. We have nukes and missiles. US, Russia, and possibly China have microwave weapons. US has laser weapons. What more do you want??

While all those things are excellent at destroying the planet and killing other humans they are likely to have little utility against a race that has the ability to travel interstellar space.

We cant even travel deep into our solar system. We went to the moon 40 years ago and then gave up.

I'll say it again, they could sit on the edge of the solar system and using only their propulsion technology throw enough massive objects at us to pulverise us back to the stone age.

We currently have no tech to defend such an attack.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Evil alien + nudge one asteroid = end the human race. Better hope they want us alive...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
in a mere 60 years! our technology has advanced from horse drawn carriages -1900, to the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier -1961...amazing!...so if a superior alien species were advancing for only 1,000 years beyond us. the technology they would posess would be incredible! and if they were advancing for 10,000 years beyond us. what they would have invented and be able to deploy against us would be unbelievably powerful and fantastic! and if they were advancing for 1,000,000 years beyond us. their technological innovations would be almost beyond our ability to comprehend and imagine! they and their advancement's would appear magical to us and some of that species technology we would call the rain,wind and snow,a star going nova...they would be gods!!!
edit on 25-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Observer99
Evil alien + nudge one asteroid = end the human race. Better hope they want us alive...

Yes. You got it. Its a cheap and risk free mode of attack. The majority of humanity would perish without having a clue who was attacking us.

It would make a boring movie though.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
in a mere 60 years! our technology has advanced from horse drawn carriages -1900, to the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier -1961...amazing!...so if a superior alien species were advancing for only 1,000 years beyond us. the technology they would posess would be incredible! and if they were advancing for 10,000 years beyond us. what they would have invented and be able to deploy against us would be unbelievably powerful and fantastic! and if they were advancing for 1,000,000 years beyond us. their technological innovations would be almost beyond our ability to comprehend and imagine! they and their advancement's would appear magical to us and some of that species technology we would call the rain,wind and snow,a star going nova...they would be gods!

the ants on the ground,so busy building their hills and tunnels,look up and see us and our technology and as we casually and thoughtlessly walk,drive and fly around them,they have no way to perceive or accurately comprehend what's really going on.when we see the aliens and their ufo's and flying saucers,i don't think we really know who they are or what they are doing...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

in a mere 60 years! our technology has advanced from horse drawn carriages -1900, to the first nuclear powered aircraft carrier -1961...amazing!...so if a superior alien species were advancing for only 1,000 years beyond us. the technology they would posess would be incredible! and if they were advancing for 10,000 years beyond us. what they would have invented and be able to deploy against us would be unbelievably powerful and fantastic! and if they were advancing for 1,000,000 years beyond us. their technological innovations would be almost beyond our ability to comprehend and imagine! they and their advancement's would appear magical to us and some of that species technology we would call the rain,wind and snow,a star going nova...they would be gods!!!

Well you would be right in a world of imagination.

That is not how it goes in reality. Technology stagnates after a certain point. I shall take the example of automobile. How much a car has really advanced in the last 30 years.

Even semiconductor technology is reaching saturation point. After 3-5 years, they will not be able to make things smaller.

All science is limited by nature's laws. You can only do what is allowed by the higher power called God.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Your scenario is very good but it is not practical. The first question is always 'intent'. What is to be gained? Second is it is not easy. You cannot break the laws of Physics even if you are an advanced race.

I think it is unwise to worry about aliens attacking earth, a fear bolstered by Hollywood movies, but not rooted in real possibilities.

In reality, an ET will be just like any foreigner, that travels from one country to the other.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

It would take only less than 5 minutes to invade and wipe us all out. We would not even notice what is going on.

One global EMP plus a killer virus especially created for human biology will do the work with zero alien casualty! So nobody will even notice that is an alien invasion. Shortly we would not have any chance to survive.

Dont worry, there wont be any REAL alien invasion. There are enough empty planets out there to harness their resources without any conflicts!

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
what chance would we stand, they could sap us from space with nano tech or biotech without even entering our atmosphere..

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Well you would be right in a world of imagination.

That is not how it goes in reality. Technology stagnates after a certain point. I shall take the example of automobile. How much a car has really advanced in the last 30 years.

Even semiconductor technology is reaching saturation point. After 3-5 years, they will not be able to make things smaller.

All science is limited by nature's laws. You can only do what is allowed by the higher power called God.

Your automobile question is simply a good example of why futurists always get things wrong. People in the 50s thought we would have flying cars because that was an extrapolation of what they had in a way they could understand. They would totally have failed to predict social media and genetic engineering. Progress goes off on tangents.

All science is indeed limited by natures laws but we are not even close to discovering where those limits really are never mind reaching them. The universe is a big sandbox to play in.

And please, leave god in the theology posts where he belongs.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Your scenario is very good but it is not practical. The first question is always 'intent'. What is to be gained? Second is it is not easy. You cannot break the laws of Physics even if you are an advanced race.

I think it is unwise to worry about aliens attacking earth, a fear bolstered by Hollywood movies, but not rooted in real possibilities.

In reality, an ET will be just like any foreigner, that travels from one country to the other.

We'll, if you leave out the ability of another species to get here then this whole discussion thread becomes moot. The title of the thread pretty much assumes they can get here and are 'evil' (which I assumed meant hostile) and my post was constructed in that way. Maybe I assumed too much...

You indeed cannot break the laws of physics but I would contend we don't actually know what they are fully. We have an incomplete body of knowledge. I wouldn't rush to label anything impossible just yet.

The point of intent is the really interesting one. I cant think of a reason 'beyond xenophobia' that would compel another species to travel here with hostile intent. Its a lot of effort for a world that doesn't really seem that remarkable.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:00 AM
link   
i think that the psychological shock and emotional trauma, that an invasion of earth by evil aliens would surely produce. might perhaps overwhelm the majority of humanity, before we even had a chance to react and mount any kind of proper defense?

"our greatest glory is not in never falling,but in getting up everytime we do"- confucius-551bc - 479bc

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Why would aliens ever attack us? I mean yeah it is possible, but really, territory and resource gains are only a valuable thing when YOU LIVE ON THE SAME PLANET....

Do you really think earth is THAT special? Its floating around the same nuclear explosions that all the other earth like planets are, you think this 1 tiny dot of light is more special then the TRILLIONS of other ones?

Do you feel the need to go outside and hunt ant colonies? Why not, because they are either A. not worth your time, or B. they pose no threat to you or your family no matter how advanced they can become.

Also don't you think its possible that we are a destructive creatures, and that we play unrealistic destructive scenarios in our head? I mean realistically we still watch people get into a cage and beat the crap out of each other, as entertainment.

I guess my point is that if you are advanced enough to live in space, and to travel to other places, AND for some unknown reason you needed more territory/resources, you can just go to any of the other BILLIONS of planets in this very galaxy alone instead of launching an invasion to kill innocent sentient creatures, that is absurd to me.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Plus they would prolly not even have to invade us at all, just study the way our bodys work and make a virus like aidsx20.

Even then, i would worry more about your neighbor trying to invade your house before aliens do

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I really love ya. You are a worthy opponent.

OK let me say it straight. Earth people have the weapons but not the propulsion.

The virus theory does not hold ground, as infecting entire earth at the same time or even in a very short time is against thw way virus spread.

EMP is a good choice. But that does not kill people.

The real weapons are nukes and particle beams. The weapon shown in 'independence day' is a particle beam weapon.

Particle beam requires a massive amount of energy. Theoretically it can fry an object on earth from a light year away. But not the entire earth at the same time.

Energy is always an issue. You can say that earth poeple are primitive in this regard. But then we do not know about ETs either. What if what we think of ETs tech is just fiction.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Just ask the

Native American Indians,

The south American Indians,

Eskimos,

Australian Aborigininy or Moari New Zealand,

The Celts with the Romans,

The list goes on and on.

The answer is in our history and very very plain.

Kind regards,

Elf

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
our bodies are filled with cells, bacteria and viruses that attack eachother every moment of our lives...

and we attack each other all the time, revolutionary war, french and indian war, war of 1812, ww1, ww2, korea, vietnam ect, ect...

in the twentieth century alone, there have been well over 10,000 reported encounters with ufo's and flying machines and even alien beings of unknown origin and probably there have been at least another 10,000 sightings that have gone unreported for fear of ridicule and denial...

100,000,000,000 stars within 100,000,000,000 galaxies = thousands upon thousands of advanced alien life forms spread out across the universe. some will be benevolent and some will be malevolent, just like we are and so obviously, some of them have discovered planet earth and are well aware of humanity...

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
as far as aliens go, earth is like grand central station. they come and go pretty often from here. if they wanted to kill us all, we'd already be dead. no reason to invade; we don't have the firepower to match any alien race with FTL tech. we're ants to such beings.
edit on 25-9-2011 by dragonseeker because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

I really love ya. You are a worthy opponent.

OK let me say it straight. Earth people have the weapons but not the propulsion.

The virus theory does not hold ground, as infecting entire earth at the same time or even in a very short time is against thw way virus spread.

EMP is a good choice. But that does not kill people.

The real weapons are nukes and particle beams. The weapon shown in 'independence day' is a particle beam weapon.

Particle beam requires a massive amount of energy. Theoretically it can fry an object on earth from a light year away. But not the entire earth at the same time.

Energy is always an issue. You can say that earth poeple are primitive in this regard. But then we do not know about ETs either. What if what we think of ETs tech is just fiction.

Thanks. Its all good discussion.

My point really was pretty simple. It was also made by another poster.

If you put another species in our solar system will a propulsion system capable of transiting the system at high speed, and no weapons, they can kill us all.

They don't need weapons. They don't need to appear in our skies or land and fight.

Earth is already a target moving through a shooting gallery taking its chances. The asteroids, comets etc already in motion have enough kinetic energy to wipe us out. Think 'Deep Impact', one after another. All it takes is a little nudge to make sure that all the ones that would normally miss hit us instead.

We are very vulnerable, more so than most would like to believe.

Our best defence is the fact that Earth isn't so unique to be worth a long trip. The only thing remarkable about it is maybe the ecosystem and its hard to exterminate us and preserve that at the same time.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
No we won't if they can get here their tech is far more advanced than ours by at least two centuries.

I for one welcome our imminent alien overlords and will serve as best as i can.

All hail Zorog the conqueror of worlds!

But seriously we would be #ed before one of our missiles hits their shields. They might even glass the entire planet and re-colonise it as a staging post for this part of the galaxy.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join