It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Humanity Withstand An Invasion Of Earth By Evil Aliens From Outer Space?

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

This is one of my favorite questions.

I've thought on this quite allot and always seem to come to this conclusion...In short no we couldn't.

If a race has advanced enough in technology to cross the stars (and don't underestimate that it's a LONG WAY) then the weapons tech they were capable of would be of a similar level or more advanced cause it's easier to blow stuff up than cross the galaxy just take a look at us

Even if we fought back nukes would probably be launched eventually in which case we'd wipe the vast majority of the population out and do their job for them failing that, it can be compared to a war here on earth for example (purely hypothetical)

The Roman army was one of the most organized EVER and damn near conquered the world, but if they were to come up against our modern armies we'd wipe them out without ever coming into close combat because our ranged weapons are so advanced.

So there we are I don't think we'd stand a chance unfortunately.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Blocula is correct they didn't humanity is gone
where are the Cro Magnon? the Neanderthals? the Denesovians? the Sumerians?
the Early Homonids? gone

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Could humanity withstand an invasion of Earth by evil aliens? Hell....we're so busy fighting with each other here on Earth, we probably wouldn't even notice it!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I think that one of the first "alien invasions" of earth, was when they came here and destroyed most of the dinosaurs.

And wooly mammoths have been found well preserved, that were apparently instantly frozen, with fresh vegetation still in their mouths and a lot of them are found standing upright!....Alien deep-freeze gun?

The mystery of the frozen mammoths > www.answersingenesis.org...
edit on 16-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
No it couldnt. I warn all of you to hide. All humans can do is hide.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Humanity will fall, our technological abilities wouldn't withstand their technology. Hand to hand combat would also be inefficient. Their bodies would be several hundred, if not thousands of years more evolved.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   
Answer to the topic: NO

But I'm not worried, we got Israel and its Samson Option when everything else fail, scorched earth, free for you aliens, start terraforming (yeah, like they really want the planet, what a stupid idea, lol)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
An alien attack would not be spectacular at all. They'd simply built 1 missile, like an unmanned spaceship and send it to Earth. No one on Earth would probably pick up on it, maybe only because of a miracle. They would not even take the effort to travel to Earth to destroy it, simply press a button on their nearest world and that would be it for live on Earth.

In the case of aliens studying life on Earth, this would be similar to humans experimenting on rats or other lab animals except (based on known claims of being abducted) a rat would be physically transported while ET's appear to be studying something else than the physical or not from a physical point of view but more like in dreams or similar to 3rd eye experiences. This at least gives the opportunity for the 'study object' to learn more about one's own mind, knowledge is power. That information can be used either for escaping a kind of laboratory or in the best case scenario attack the ET's while obe'ing and take over their spaceship.

Might sound grandiose but no matter how mentally advanced an ET might be, humanity has thousands of years of warfare in it's DNA, the most ugly and repulsive things have been done to humans, animals, makes one wonder if we were just practicing on ourselves in preparation of having to defend ourselves.
edit on 17/10/2011 by Dragonfly79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
If the invading aliens had no knowledge of atomic weapons.I think they would be shocked at the awesome power of our nuclear missiles, as we launched some of them and they detonated near or against their mothership...

Some of our thermo-nuclear bombs and missiles are 100x as powerful as the bombs dropped on hiroshima and nagasaki.Then the aliens might be the ones who receive a very rude awakening...
edit on 17-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   
And if we slammed one of these terrible hydrogen weapons near or against the aliens mothership, I don't think it would survive the impact >

The most powerful atomic bomb ever created and detonated...2,800 times the power of the hiorshima bomb!!! > en.wikipedia.org...

And just imagine, the yeild of this bomb was intentionall cut in half, from 100 mega-tons into 50-megatons, to reduce fallout...So the full capability and power of this savage and horrifying bomb is 5,600 hiroshimas!!!

The aliens and their mothership would be vaporized...
edit on 17-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Nukes would be almost useless if they stayed in space, if they were in orbit nukes might just do some nice damage, what we need is lasers or some sort of rail gun system on aircraft that can make limited space flight, also rail gun ground based systems able to shoot lots of projectiles into space like a machine gun, would do more damage then a nuke, nukes in space dont work the same as on the ground as there is no air for the explosion fire it would go boom but not boom how we would want it.

I think if Aliens might be hostile, theres alot of land in Australia, Russia, both North and South poles too ready for the taking for a beach head, all it takes would be if they had force fields they could just land and deploy the fields and thats that occupy the land.

If they are peaceful they would either stay near the moon or if they had permission to land or decided to land they would choose either USA, Russia, or China.

Now i think on it why even bother landing on Earth if they were hostile or wanted land they might first take one of the planets in the solar system possible planet might be Mars, what could we do if aliens decided Mars looked good.

Also i think if aliens were to invade, they would not be to far in advance of technology from us, reason being if they were so far advanced they would not need to invade they could terra-form Mars with less hassle involved.

This was recently discussed on a documentary program we could mine the asteroid belts with radars and microwave and laser weapons, what we really need are planes that can fly in space with lasers and maybe EMP's, thing is Aliens can do alot damage on day 1 just by attacking our Oceans causeing tidel wave damage all round the globe, let alone if they decide to nuke or worse the land where people live, dont forget bio weapons too.

I think once rail guns and lasers become operational on a wide scale by alot of major countrys we might stand a better chance of hurting an invasion force but at the moment we would really struggle i think.

edit on 18-10-2011 by blobby because: adding more text

edit on 18-10-2011 by blobby because: text change

edit on 18-10-2011 by blobby because: another text change

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Nuclear Weapons do not "burn", so the lack of oxygen is not a factor. The sun is a nuclear reaction, and it's doing just fine out in space...

Back in the summer of 1962, the U.S. blew up a hydrogen bomb in outer space, some 250 miles above the Pacific Ocean. It was a weapons test, but one that created a man-made light show that has never been equaled and hopefully never will...

The Americans launched their first atomic nuclear tests above the Earth's atmosphere in 1958. Atom bombs had little effect on the magnetosphere, but the hydrogen bomb of July 9, 1962, did. Code-named "Starfish Prime" by the military, it literally created an artificial extension of the Van Allen belts that could be seen across the Pacific Ocean, from Hawaii to New Zealand.

Operation Starfish Prime - en.wikipedia.org...

So it looks like we can detonate Atomic Weapons against the aliens motherships in space...And those tests above were done 40 or 50 years ago... Imagine what we have today?
edit on 18-10-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I don't think it they wanted to take over they would start a war. They could be a million years ahead of us and wouldn't need to. They could invade in other way. they could of already taken over the planet and we wouldn't of noticed. They could of bred themselves into our race. A human would go and try invade with atom bombs and stuff. They Way ahead of that. If they wanted to take us out I don't think they would even need to fight and design diseases that killed humans only. Which i think has happened before. Most diseases are like if they were designed.

So say it was true what i am saying and they have breaded into our race, and they release a disease that is fatal to humans only, there offspring would live and we would die. There is no need for war. we would likely destroy the planet in that event.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Echo419
Their bodies would be several hundred, if not thousands of years more evolved.

What is this supposed to mean?

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Here is some info i looked up on nukes in space:

space is missing a vital component: atmosphere. In this case, we aren’t talking about a simple lack of oxygen, since a nuclear reaction in a vacuum is quite possible; we’re talking about a lack of a conductor. No atmosphere means that there is no medium through which two of the three waves of energy travel. The blast wave owes much of its destructive force to the sudden compression and then expansion of the air around the detonation. You can actually see this wave traveling through the air in some videos of nuclear explosions. The air also provides the fodder for the thermal wave and conducts much of it away from the center event in the form of the massive fireball. In short, without a substantial atmosphere surrounding a nuclear detonation, it could lose eighty-five percent of its destructive power. The lack of atmosphere does have one “positive” effect on a detonation: the radiation released affects a much broader area since there is no air to absorb it as it passes by.

What would happen if we were to detonate a nuclear weapon in space? If NASA is right–and I presume they are–the results wouldn’t be all that impressive. There would perhaps be a dull pulse of light and then…nothing in particular. There would be a release of radiation (not all that much in the grand cosmic scheme of of things) and that would be it.

Therefore, nuclear devices really aren’t that useful, deployed in a vacuum, they have no explosive power and no incendiary elements, leaving only an increased radiological yield. A purely radiological weapon probably wouldn’t be of much use because, due to the significant amounts of radiation produced by the cosmos anyway, any potential spacefaring craft would already be heavily shielded against it. A little more probably wouldn’t make much difference.

posted on Oct, 18 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Of course not, we wouldn't stand a chance. I doubt they would have to do more than launch a dozen probes over major cities with manufactured but deadly viruses, and we'd be nearly wiped out within a month. If they really wanted to remove us, they could probably do so without damaging our enviornment at all, if that was what they were going for.

Imho, there is a lot more at play in the galactic universe at large, politically speaking. I'd imagine the Earth falls squarely in some more prominant species borders. We are probably "owned" already. Once we are advanced enough, I imagine we'll be required participate in some capacity in our galaxy to maintain the current protection we are currently oblivious to. For all we know, perhaps several major disasters to our measely planet have already been averted by benevolent alien species, under whose protection we fall, complete unaware.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
?????

Depends on the weapons of such aliens, and the smarts too.

Humans could unite and kick ass, but maybe the aliens know this and want to divide us.

Maybe they use religion to defeat us all.

posted on Oct, 19 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
What would happen if we were to detonate a nuclear weapon in space? If NASA is right–and I presume they are–the results wouldn’t be all that impressive. There would perhaps be a dull pulse of light and then…nothing in particular. There would be a release of radiation (not all that much in the grand cosmic scheme of of things) and that would be it.

If that is true, then it is very bad news for us...Why?...Because scientists always talk about the possiblity of us using nuclear weapons to divert or destroy an asteroid that might be headed our way someday. Why do they always say that, if nuclear weapons have no explosive force in the airless vacum of outer space?

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

If that is true, then it is very bad news for us...Why?...Because scientists always talk about the possiblity of us using nuclear weapons to divert or destroy an asteroid that might be headed our way someday. Why do they always say that, if nuclear weapons have no explosive force in the airless vacum of outer space?

BLOC....you are KILLING ME AGAIN! LOL!

First of all....SCIENTISTS ALMOST NEVER talk about using Nukes to destroy an asteroid or comet. Reason being? Serveral problems.....1. You could turn one big dangerous object into MULTIPLE dangerous objects.
2. F=MA....that means...F....being FORCE....EQUALS the amount of MASS...M....times the RATE OF ACCELERATION....A.
So if you have an ASTEROID the size of say....New York City....shooting towards the Earth at about 28,000mph......that means you are going to have ALOT OF FORCE TO DEAL WITH! As a smaller example....a wadded ball of cotton that weighs about one tenth of an ounce....and is the size of a marble....traveling at even 27,000mph less than that city size asteroid.....would blow your head off if it hit you....so imagine the force the city size asteroid has obtained at 28,000mph?

Even a 100 megaton nuke....detonated at the asteroids surface....would do very little to slow it down or change it's trajectory.

The best way to deal with an oncoming asteroid or comet....is to land a robotic craft with a rocket engine on it far in advance of the collision....even a small amount of thrust...a great distance away....would probably be enough to change the trajectory to miss Earth.

By the way....NUKES do in fact release ALOT of explosive energy in space when detonated....the observed detonation is different because we are used to seeing the effect a detonation has in our atmosphere.
Split Infinity

posted on Oct, 20 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Yes but the initial energy released would still be the same there just wouldn't be an atmosphere full of atoms to comtinue the chain but if it was detonated against an asteriod that asteriod is made up off atoms so wouldn't the chain be able to continue and the energy passed to the asteriod?

In fact the best way to divert an asteriod would be to try to land on it somehow either with people or robots while it's far far out and attach rockets to it and fire those rockets and try to make it veer off its course. Nudge it off its trajectory if you will.
edit on 20-10-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23 >>

join