It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Answer to Life the Universe and Everything & 42

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Okay I am making this post in regards to the many many post about The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy and the number 42 being the answer to life the universe and everything.

It is from the hermetic tradition (the entire Hitchhiker series is). Douglas Adams knew all about the Hermetic traditions and borrowed almost all of his ideas for the series off of them.

Hermes Trismegistus - Book X The Mind To Hermes
darkbooks.org...

Surviving Hermes Trismegistus is the wisdom of the Hermetica, 42 books that have profoundly influenced the development of Western occultism and magic. A.G.H. Hermetic books, ancient metaphysical works dealing essentially with the idea of the complete community of all beings and objects. Authorship of the books was attributed to the Egyptian god of wisdom, Thoth, whose name was sometimes translated into Greek as Hermes Trismegistus [Thoth the thrice great] and was therefore equated with the Greek god Hermes. The books treat of a variety of subjects, including magic, astrology, and alchemy, and were particularly influential in the 3d cent. with the Neoplatonists and in France and England in the 17th cent.

Hermetica
en.wikipedia.org...

The Hermetica are Greek wisdom texts from the 2nd and 3rd centuries CE,[1] mostly presented as dialogues in which a teacher, generally identified with Hermes Trismegistus or "thrice-greatest Hermes", enlightens a disciple. The texts discuss the nature of the divine, mind, nature and the cosmos: some touch upon alchemy, astrology and related concepts.

Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn
en.wikipedia.org...

The Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn (or, more commonly, the Golden Dawn) was a magical order active in Great Britain during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, which practiced theurgy and spiritual development. It has been one of the largest single influences on 20th-century Western occultism.[1][2]

Concepts of magic and ritual at the center of contemporary traditions, such as Wicca[3][4] and Thelema, were inspired by the Golden Dawn.

The three founders, William Robert Woodman, William Wynn Westcott, and Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers were Freemasons and members of Societas Rosicruciana in Anglia (S.R.I.A.).[5] Westcott appears to have been the initial driving force behind the establishment of the Golden Dawn.

The Golden Dawn system was based on hierarchy and initiation like the Masonic Lodges, however women were admitted on an equal basis with men. The "Golden Dawn" was the first of three Orders, although all three are often collectively referred to as the "Golden Dawn". The First Order taught esoteric philosophy based on the Hermetic Qabalah and personal development through study and awareness of the four Classical Elements as well as the basics of astrology, tarot divination, and geomancy. The Second or "Inner" Order, the Rosae Rubeae et Aureae Crucis (the Ruby Rose and Cross of Gold), taught proper magic, including scrying, astral travel, and alchemy. The Third Order was that of the "Secret Chiefs", who were said to be highly skilled; they supposedly directed the activities of the lower two orders by spirit communication with the Chiefs of the Second Order.

The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy
en.wikipedia.org...

Douglas Adams
en.wikipedia.org...

In Mostly Harmless, Douglas Adams describes a whole colony of Hermit Gurus- one of whom replies to most questions by running off a copy of her biography, advising that if you read it and do the exact opposite of her choices, you won't end up living alone in a cave, on a mountain, answering dumb questions.

Well I hope you all enjoy the answer to Life the Universe and Everything.

edit on 23-9-2011 by MasterGemini because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
oh good ole' Hermes(thoth) the thrice great!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
but,have you translated the emerald tablet,and actually made gold!?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterGemini

Two things you may want to read; The Sacred Squares of Abremalin the Mage (~1905-1920) which is by MacGregor Mathers (OGD) and the five books of The Keys of Solomom (1903 to 1907 if I remember right) and is translated with help by MacGregor Mathers. In the Keys of particular interest will be The Geotia which explains the nature and call signs of the 72 guardians of The Guf (hall of souls, hall of records, etc). It's interesting reading actually. As an aside, MacGregor Mathers was involved in the Order of the Golden Dawn with Aliester Crowley.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/23.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
but,have you translated the emerald tablet,and actually made gold!?

LoL I am not sure it works that way

Anyways my curious attendant enjoy this video I discovered which gives a great outline.

Alchemy - Sacred Secrets Revealed Part 1/8

Much of Alchemy is misunderstood and shrouded in mystery within magickal and fraternal orders, it is our goal to unravel some of the aspects which remain hidden behind conventional history.

Solve Et Coagula - The Great Work of Alchemy

Solve Et Coagula - The Great Work of Alchemy. Building off of the success of Alchemy - Sacred Secrets Revealed, the new film goes into more practical detail of how The Great Work can be done.

Oh and if you don't think symbols can have a physical effect on your mind just think a little on this article:

Scientists Use Brain Imaging to Reveal the Movies in Our Mind
www.sciencedaily.com...

Using functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (fMRI) and computational models, UC Berkeley researchers have succeeded in decoding and reconstructing people's dynamic visual experiences -- in this case, watching Hollywood movie trailers.

As yet, the technology can only reconstruct movie clips people have already viewed. However, the breakthrough paves the way for reproducing the movies inside our heads that no one else sees, such as dreams and memories, according to researchers.

It is something One must experience to appreciate

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobs_uruncle

Two things you may want to read; The Sacred Squares of Abremalin the Mage (~1905-1920) which is by MacGregor Mathers (OGD) and the five books of The Keys of Solomom (1903 to 1907 if I remember right) and is translated with help by MacGregor Mathers. In the Keys of particular interest will be The Geotia which explains the nature and call signs of the 72 guardians of The Guf (hall of souls, hall of records, etc). It's interesting reading actually. As an aside, MacGregor Mathers was involved in the Order of the Golden Dawn with Aliester Crowley.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 9/23.2011 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

Thanks you much sir!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

symbols pre date laguage! synchronicty , carl jung!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

i own the key of solomon the king.ive been looking the book of abrelim for years. also would enjoy abbraxis,but the only copy i found was online for $1500.00! 777 by crowley is also good

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Bump.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Topic creator is right, 42 is the answer to LUE.

top topics

join