It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How is Tazing people not dangerous?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by iforget
reply to post by BlackSatinDancer

I dont fully disagree with that at all. My main point was what is the alternative? Getting tackled and subdued by several officers at once? What happens at that point fists, boots, nightsticks? Is this safer than a tazer, less damaging?

I do not argue that the police are not using excessive force at times but I'd rather they have a less lethal option. You may die if you are tazed but you will die if you are shot .

I think the problem is that the tazer is being used in circumstances that do not warrant lethal force. If it was used instead of shooting, than obviously it is reducing the chance of people dying.

Being used on people in situations where there are other alternatives....

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Honestly I dont disagree I guess I am unaware of the alternatives that would be safer or less harmful.

It is very possible to die from a reaction to pepper spray or other irritants. It is possible to be killed while being physically subdued.

Even a weapon that would perfectly subdue a person without harm or fail could and would be used improperly in the hands of some. Which leads me right back to its not the weapon its the hand holding the weapon.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
well, I can safely say that i have never tried to hurt a cop and I certainly wasn't resisting arrest when I was sprayed in the eyes. and videos like the one with multiple scenes show where it IS definitely being used in plenty of situations where people are not resisting. The cops are just afraid they might and if they do, they might overpower them. Next thing ya know they'll be locking people up "just in case"

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Double post
edit on 22-3-2012 by FlutterByte because: Error

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by nrd101
i was tasered in Oregon while I was being held down face down. it lasted more than two minutes until I passed out. I didn't regain consciousness until over a day later in the hospital. police are out of control with tasers. people have died from them. they are killer weapons.

I realize this is an old post, but I am curious to know if you (or anyone else who has been tased) experienced any memory loss surrounding the event,

The reason I ask is a number of years ago I read a document published by the British home office as a result of their research into tasers. It mentioned some American studies that seemed to indicate that there can be up to 20 mInutes of memory loss surrounding the event for around 90% of participants. The PDF was eventually pulled down from the home office website, so I didn't know if was published in error, or was accurate.

From a 2006 study by the British Goverment's Home Office Scientific Development Branch :

scienceandresearch.homeoffice.gov.uk...

take note of paragraph 4.3.5.1 on page 39

"...  In the study at the King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles,
92% of the patients who had been shot with a Taser stated that they had total
amnesia about the event and could not remember being subjected to the Taser. This
may reflect indirect consequences of the peripheral actions of the Taser discharge,
rather than a direct effect on the central nervous system"
edit on 22-3-2012 by FlutterByte because: Added clip from pdf

edit on 22-3-2012 by FlutterByte because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join