It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Need Help Finding Information On This Picture

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

I saw this a few days ago and was wondering if anyone knows it's origin. I tried tineye and the usual tricks to no avail. Apparently it's a picture of a girl that was in a natural disaster, that's all it said. Thought it was interesting as it didn't look shooped and because of the BEK threads I've read. Don't believe in BEK but thought some would like to see this.

Source Found Two Posts Down. Thanks For Quick Response.

Omayra Sánchez (sometimes spelled Omaira Sanchez) was a 13-year-old victim of the 1985 eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano, which erupted on November 13, 1985, in Armero, Colombia causing massive lahars which killed nearly 25,000. Trapped for three days in water, concrete, and other debris before she died, Omayra captured the attention of the media as volunteer workers told of a girl they were unable to save. Videos of her communicating with workers, smiling and making gestures to video cameras circulated around the media. Her "courage and dignity" touched Frank Fournier and many other relief workers who gathered around her to pray and be with her.

edit on 23-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

i dont know about you but that does lok very EVIL to me

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Very sad. Her name was Omayra Sánchez.

Omayra Sánchez

/TOA

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
By judging the picture, she looks like a Hybrid to me.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

Hell that is really sad. She didn't look evil to me, just injured. I kinda wish I hadn't posted it but now I think it's kind of important to see.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human4life

sorry to be the one to tell you, but it seems as though you have very bad judgement..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by maryhinge
reply to post by Domo1

i dont know about you but that does lok very EVIL to me

I guess you know nothing of the girl or her story , yet you made a stupid statement based on a single photograph .
I hope you are ashamed.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

sorry to be the one to tell you, but it seems as though you have very bad judgement..

Well thats just my opinion, a normal human dosent have eyes like that, tell me what els could it be. I could be wrong I know, but I'm judging for what I see in front of me, sorry to tell you that.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
very sad and tragic story..
edit on 23/9/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I just read the Wikipedia link about her...that's a very tragic story. Thanks for posting, otherwise I wouldn't have heard about this before.

link   
I vaugely remember watching the event on tv over few days .

Her eyes turned that colour after few days being stuck in that mudhole if I remember correctly .

Sadly she has died of kidney complications I think .

link   
reply to post by Human4life

Perhaps you could read the thread and find some answers.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Well thats just my opinion, a normal human dosent have eyes like that, tell me what els could it be. I could be wrong I know, but I'm judging for what I see in front of me, sorry to tell you that.

Not much "normal" in the photo. she is in pain, 3 days trapped, after a horrendous natural disaster...oh, and did I mention...she was DYING in front of the camera. Nope...not normal at all...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

At some point she asked the people to leave her so they could rest.

That right there is incredibly humbling.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Not much "normal" in the photo. she is in pain, 3 days trapped, after a horrendous natural disaster...oh, and did I mention...she was DYING in front of the camera. Nope...not normal at all...

I feel sorry for her if that was the case,

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by tpg65

NO i did not say the girl looked EVIL you fool but her surroundings
so now i know there was a camera there watching this girl die
thats not EVIL come on man get a grip
edit on 23-9-2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

noob
edit on 23-9-2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

Well I and I think almost everyone else thought you were talking about the girl.

That aside, why was it evil for someone to take a picture of her? She accepted being interviewed, and her picture helped to call attention to this awful event.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I did find this article about the picture and the photographer:

Frank Fournier, Omayra Sánchez, Armero, Columbia, 1985

This picture was taken by Frank Fournier in Columbia on Saturday 16 November 1985, a few days after the eruption of the Nevado Del Ruiz volcano. The landslide provoked by the eruption had already killed 24,000 people as the local authorities had taken no preventive measures despite the warnings of vulcanologists. In this natural catastrophe, the young Omayra Sánchez was caught in the town of Armero in debris transported by the mud. For two full days and three nights, rescue workers tried to free her with the whole world following her ordeal on TV or in the papers. The crane and the hydraulic pump that were needed to clear the debris didn’t arrive in time. Omarya’s hips had been injured by metal bars and her legs were trapped. She was exhausted and despite her impressive faith and calm, she died of a heart attack on 16 November.

For Frank Fournier, a member of the agency Contact Press Images and the author of documentaries published worldwide, the feeling of powerlessness was overwhelming. He was unable to save the victims who urgently needed medical aid and professional care. He realised that all he could do was record the suffering of the young girl in the hope that this would help mobilise international aid. Although he had considerable success in the media, winning the World Press Photo prize in 1986 for this portrait of Omarya, Frank Fournier was understandably gnawed by doubt. The agonising death of a young girl, surrounded by journalists and photographers, was followed live on television all over the world. Fournier’s reactions show how deeply a photographer can be forced to question his work and to doubt its legitimacy. This case highlights the terrible dilemma of either showing reality as it is and running the risk of shocking the public, or of refusing to record such tragedies.

Fournier found himself at the centre of a major controversy: in such a situation, wouldn’t it have been better to offer help rather than to take pictures? Is it possible to show the suffering of others without violating their right to have their privacy respected? For some people, broadcasting the drama of Omarya’s death was obscene. The case illustrates the vicious commercial circle in which news programmes are trapped nowadays, their obligation not to be outdone by the competition and a coverage of events oscillating between the extremes of voyeurism and sensationalism. Confronted with these issues, many photographers insist on their ethical probity and their sense of personal responsibility. For them it is of the utmost importance that the public be informed.

www.egodesign.ca...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

well ithought if i was there the last thing on my
mind would be photo or interveiw
i would be trying to get the kid to safety
sorry you all had the wrong impression about
my reply

edit:i went back to bed and could not get that out of my mind
still cant
sad
edit on 24-9-2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

now i have just read the post above me and i see they did do all they could for her
RIP little angel
edit on 24-9-2011 by maryhinge because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

now i have just read the post above me and i see they did do all they could for her RIP little angel

Read the link too, it's a few posts under the OP. Really heartbreaking. Sounds like she was a wonderful young woman, and very inspirational.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join