It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

pop quiz time!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hey everyone, I was having this discussion with some people and thought maybe you all can provide some answers.

Besides the interstate highway system and to lesser extent the scientific basic research (ie darpa, fermilab nasa etc) name one US federal government venture or department or plan or anything that it touches. Which has not turned to complete "fecal explicative" or turned out to be fiscally unsustainable and bloated?

Please give me something no one could think of anything that held up to very basic scrutiny.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Desolate Cancer because: sc

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Desolate Cancer

you cant it doesnt exist

the only thing sucessful government does or by extension any program is screw us over.

the government and anything it touchs fails they never learn they go more more more

there isnt one nothing nada zilch zero.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
the cia black budget

*wink

dunno why is it called black, since it revolves more around white powder

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

The Tennessee Valley Authority, IMO is a success story.

The Tennessee Valley Authority website.

I wish that there was a similar model available today.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Taking your money.

Robbing the most armed population without them doing anything about it. That is a job well done.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The first thing I thought of as the National Park system. Of course, they're wanting to plant oil wells in them, now.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

There isn't one. I guess you could argue the military, but there is a lot of fraud, waste and abuse there as well. i should know because i witnessed it for 13 years.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
NOAA is pretty awesome. Of course, they need it for the military. GPS system is pretty awesome, too. Of course, they need it for the military.

Army Corps of Engineers, as far as maintaining bouyage and all other navigational aids, are really good. As a boat captain, this is stuff that is useful to me. As far as their handling of the levees in New Orleans, not so good.

These are all things that help boat captains. A lot. Most people, these things have no impact on whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Most government programs are useful in some way. Many are also not, as the OP requested, financially sustainable.

Think of it this way: When a government program is successful in both being helpful and useful to the population while remaining within budget constraints, you'll never hear about it because they're doing their job. On the other hand, when a government program fails to meet one of the above criteria you will hear nothing else but failure.

There are, literally, thousands of government programs at the federal level alone.

How often do you hear about the failures of the Office of Rural Development?
...the Economic Research Service?
...National Technical Information Service?
...American Forces Information Service?
...Office of Vocational and Adult Education?
...Office of Emergency Communications?
...Bureau of Justice Statistics?

You never hear about these people because they do their jobs and they probably do them well. Because they're small agencies they'll be trimmed down to bare bones operations in the name of 'fiscal restraint', while ignoring or allowing much larger programs to continue on, unimpeded.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Sorry i hate pop quizes Lol, but i was just thinking the CIA

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Looks like I'm going to fail this one.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by CaptChaos

Most government programs are useful in some way. Many are also not, as the OP requested, financially sustainable.

Think of it this way: When a government program is successful in both being helpful and useful to the population while remaining within budget constraints, you'll never hear about it because they're doing their job. On the other hand, when a government program fails to meet one of the above criteria you will hear nothing else but failure.

There are, literally, thousands of government programs at the federal level alone.

How often do you hear about the failures of the Office of Rural Development?
...the Economic Research Service?
...National Technical Information Service?
...American Forces Information Service?
...Office of Vocational and Adult Education?
...Office of Emergency Communications?
...Bureau of Justice Statistics?

You never hear about these people because they do their jobs and they probably do them well. Because they're small agencies they'll be trimmed down to bare bones operations in the name of 'fiscal restraint', while ignoring or allowing much larger programs to continue on, unimpeded.

Thank you, I was waiting for someone to bring this up. You sir/madam are 100% right. There are literally dozens of different small programs that provide valuable information and services to the greater population.

These are great programs. However the key is that they are small, and well managed, and most importantly constantly under the gun for maintaining their budget. Now name one large department or agency that is the same. You will not be able to. The point is that small government is wonderful, large govt is corrupt and wasteful and impractical.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Interesting point but really small departments in a large government don't really count as small government.

They are just small parts of the government which is measured as the sum of its parts.

new topics

top topics

join