It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Tiny House is Freaking Sweet!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Whether you are sustainable living haters or lovers....

I'm for it!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I like the idea of "scaling down" but.....

Those look like self built construction. Where do they keep their tools to make the home?

I saw no cars, how does that one guy procure food in the Vermont winter?

While the first house sat two in the front but fed four, where do the other two sit?

A+ for right direction but they seem more boutique than functional.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ABNARTY
I like the idea of "scaling down" but.....

Those look like self built construction. Where do they keep their tools to make the home?

I saw no cars, how does that one guy procure food in the Vermont winter?

While the first house sat two in the front but fed four, where do the other two sit?

A+ for right direction but they seem more boutique than functional.

Yes...and Yes...Love it, but realistically? Look at your own house is all that I can say...what is the wasted space? We should not live in excess, we should live in harmony...is all I'm trying to get across!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Sorry Guys...I'm a fan of the Venus Project!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by blazenresearcher

Agreed 100%. Most of the space in an average house is a function of filling it up with stuff I "have to go buy".

10'x10' would never make it for me but I a more functional, smaller version of the average home would be fine. I would also shoot for some solar panels and maybe one of those home sized wind turbine generators. Wood stove is great and a giant garden.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Love it! I really am not a hardcore...but I don't believe in human suffering...and anyway that I can reduce a footprint or not impact mother earth...then I'm there....there is so much terror in the world...many do not even realize! I will fight to my dying breath for our human rights...sorry...the Bastages!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I used to hunt with a guy that had something similar to the one in the 1st vid. It was on a flatbed trailer and he could tow it around where-ever he wanted / needed.

It was pretty much the envy of the guys at the camp. Instead of having to deal with whatever crappy used travel trailer he could scrounge up cheap (like everyone else did). He build something that suited him and his needs to a T.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Having enough room to stretch your arms out in is not an extravagance.
The room I grew up in, you could barley stretch one arm out to the other side of the wall without hitting the other wall. It sucked.

Let me guess, you live in a house/apartment and never have been confined to any sort of small mandatory living space?

Prison cells are bigger than this thing.

Green/eco nazis are a serious problem. They seem to have an obsession on controlling how other people live.
edit on 9/23/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/23/2011 by mnmcandiez because: H

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

You are talking my language....but how to bring that to mass appeal is the question...I researched so many alternative housing. The tiny housing works...if there is a community well and septic system. Also space for a garden....very Sustainable!...Off the Grid...

Don't we need that now...self governance????

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez

Having enough room to stretch your arms out in is not an extravagance.
The room I grew up in, you could barley stretch one arm out to the other side of the wall without hitting the other wall. It sucked.

Let me guess, you live in a house/apartment and never have been confined to any sort of small mandatory living space?

Prison cells are bigger than this thing.

If you must know...I was privileged as a child an grew up in a huge Victorian on the most coveted street in town. Not that I knew or cared...we lived next to the Library and I spent all my time there....you can guess the rest!
Green/eco nazis are a serious problem. They seem to have an obsession on controlling how other people live.

edit on 9/23/2011 by mnmcandiez because: H

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This could be The Solution for the Travelers in England to get around their building permit/planning troubles. Quick someone go give them a copy of this video.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Yes...thank you John Phoenix it is a solution for many...Zoning laws need to approve it!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

It's the ultimate grown-up fort. Very affordable and perfect for a single person or a very, very crazy in love couple who still like each other...
It sure beats a trailer home any day. It is nice, cozy and serves all your needs.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by queenofsheba

Yes...yes it is! That and a bag of chips...I'll take one anyday!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
It would also make an awesome fish house for ice fishing. Drill a hole in the floor and wa la, perfect! Easy to move around, put it on a skid and drag it out onto the lake. Fish on...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

that is a little claustrophobic for me.

i've lived in hotel rooms for jobs but basically only slept there.

it would be great for temp shelter for some people.

this always kills me.

edit on 23-9-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-9-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I love the concept of 'scaling down'. We accumulate far too many 'things' we dont really need and think we have to have the space to put these 'things in'. . Unfortunately many people might never agree with this but we can truly live with a lot less and this Tiny House concept is simply giving basic living space to do all you need to really do within it. Its simply 'shelter' . I have long felt that humans are greedy, they always want more, the bigger the better yet there are many who have no choice at all and the basics would be a humble gift to them. Therefore these Tiny houses represent to me the mindset of those who grasp what really matters in life and that is 'shelter' and simplicity.

There may come a day when simplicity will be an utter necessity. The more you have the harder it will be to let go or accept that acquired standards might have to fall - living in simplicity will reduce that difficulty that some may find hard to bear. We all believe that everything we have is forever - supplies are forever, but I dont feel they are and now is the time to think of basic needs and adapt to those ideas of what you need rather than what you want.

These little houses are wonderful, I would rather have a small space to cover my basic needs and have the beauty of all the outdoor space to sit on my doorstep then a massive house in a concrete built street with traffic fumes floating in my windows.

But we each have our own views and I respect them all but the one thing I respect above human views are the earths view - we should treat the planet with more care and stop putting concrete all over it. I hate concrete I really do - halleluja for tiny houses in the great outdoors, a marvelous idea. Wow!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I recently got rid of 75% of my belongings and currently reside in a teeny tiny attic apartment probably the size of this house. It took some getting use to but although this isn't mine (I'm renting) I see where the mind set is going. We're losing our focus in this material world. We don't 'need' 3/4 of the things we have. Those days are coming to an end.
But I don't want to segue off topic too much but I read in someones post in another video the list price for these homes and to me, they're not 'cheap'. Especially with all the recent foreclosures and a 3/2 w/built in swimming pool are selling for $40,000.00 (I know, there's property tax etc)
I think they're going have to lower their prices because who has 25,000.00 laying around? Hardly anyone is able to sell their home, so there's no profit to be made in real estate anymore. I am assuming they don't offer mortgages so again, who has this much cash at their disposal?

Anyway, here are the prices posted in someones comment:

@dth3545 Here are the prices sent to me last year by Stephen from the Little

House on a Trailer:

10 x 12 $12,000

Cedar House $17,500

Caregiver $25,000

Art Space $40,000

Office $50,000

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
It was a cute little house; however, I did not see anywhere to wash one's hands after going potty!! And I certainly would not want to use the kitchen sink for that! How about doing laundry? And ironing? (Yes, some of us still iron.) Something at least 3x as big would work for me. It is nice that it's on wheels.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I think the problem with the tiny house is that it tries to scale down a regular house and you still end up with wasted space. I think some of the ideas from this vid would make the 100 sq ft seem larger.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join