It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update: falling satellite could impact eastern U.S.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
So is this thing still falling?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
This is the latest I'm getting.

NASA’s decommissioned Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite fell back to Earth between 11:23 p.m. EDT Friday, Sept. 23 and 1:09 a.m. EDT Sept. 24. The Joint Space Operations Center at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California said the satellite penetrated the atmosphere over the Pacific Ocean. The precise re-entry time and location are not yet known with certainty.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Crashed already m.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by WinnieDaWho

Haha yeah it did! Crahsed in Okotoks, a town south of Calgary. BOOSH!!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Looks like another anti climax after all the hype.. Glad no one was hurt..

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Oh hey look nothing catastrophic happened. ATS doomtards once again make a big hooplah and dramafest out of nothing, same old story. Sure they'll all just quietly move on to the next doom prospect and stir up a frenzy.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Looks like another anti climax after all the hype.. Glad no one was hurt..

Plenty of hurt.By my estimations this thing hung in there longer and so did the spectators.With our backs to the wall we sipped then sipped again causing a ripple effect of hangovers this morning.Wide spread head pounding can be felt this morning.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by WinnieDaWho
Crashed already m.yahoo.com...

Somebody needs to tell these people: UARS Google Satellite Tracker

So, like... how reliable could this supposed simulation 'based on data' have ever been, if the thing's grounded but the data still has it justa tootin along!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
At 10:30pm Vancouver time I saw a very bright white star East of Vancouver, it was so bright that when I tried focusing on it with my naked eye the light was refracting in my eye making a large crosshair pattern stretch out from the center of the object similar to when you see a welding arc in the distance.

Not sure if this was the Satellite, but I've never seen a skyborn object 'that' bright before aside from our sun.

It appeared to be moving rather slowly from my POV

-GM
edit on 24-9-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by new_here

The "data" these trackers are based on is standard orbital data, not real-time data from any agency actually watching it. Sure, they show the satellite's position in real-time...according to its regular orbit. But, if the orbit of the satellite changes, or if it, say, crashes into a planet, they won't show it.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

We now have undocumented planets in orbit? We are so naive.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Jupiter was to the east at that time. It's very bright now...and, at least from this side of the country, it looks like what you described.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Er... but I'm still here with my Butterfly net... I thought it would come down
here in the South-Western desert.
Oh well... how long before the Space Station's orbit begins to decay?

It's a grand Butterfly net -yer' see?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress
Er... but I'm still here with my Butterfly net... I thought it would come down
here in the South-Western desert.
Oh well... how long before the Space Station's orbit begins to decay?

It's a grand Butterfly net -yer' see?

I would not go catching a satellite with any type of net.

It is going to break it. Especially if it is one of those *made in china* nets.

I caught a 8 lb bass and broke the net.

Thousand pounds of metal your dealing with..

Keep the bugs in it..

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkest4
Oh hey look nothing catastrophic happened. ATS doomtards once again make a big hooplah and dramafest out of nothing, same old story. Sure they'll all just quietly move on to the next doom prospect and stir up a frenzy.

Well I am so glad you had the restraint not to contribute anything to a doomtard thread. That would've been super hypocritical.

By the way, it still hasn't been found. Didn't the government have the same problem with binLaden?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

Jupiter was to the east at that time. It's very bright now...and, at least from this side of the country, it looks like what you described.

Hey CL!

I was dumbfounded when I saw that extremely BRIGHT red and green strobe-like light! I thought it was this UARS at first....then in 10 minutes realized, it wasn't it (never moved)

Then I thought it was a helicopter but again, never moved.

So then I went over to the 'it must be Betelgeuse' side. It was in the exact location (north of Orion) of where it should've been HOWEVER..................

Later this morning (around 4AM?) I noticed Betelgeuse and company was above me now (opposed to due-east) and this 'object' was still almost on the same astro lay-line only now, it moved south.

So my point is, was this Jupiter? I tried opening Stellarium but my computer couldn't find the extension to the program. That was weird in itself but..............
If that WAS Jupiter then it was giving off a light show that I have never ever ever seen before in my life.

I was actually able to see the separation of red light from the green light. They were on their respective side. Usually a planet or star will just twinkle with colors. Like a prism. This was like a beam of red light and a beam of green light jutting off the sides which is why I thought it was a helicopter.

I will be looking out tonight again for sure.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

If it moved south, and didn't get any further up in the sky, then I'm not sure what it is, because it's not moving as any star or planet should (anything in the east would move somewhat toward the south, but they would also move further up, before going back down toward the west).
When you first posted, I was going to suggest Betelgeuse, but I fell asleep here on the couch.
It's not Jupiter, because Jupiter should be bright white, not twinkling red and green.

If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say the first thing you saw was Betelgeuse, and the second thing you saw was Procyon. They're very similar in brightness, and, at just before 4 am your time, Procyon was near where Betelegeuse had been, except a bit to the south.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
So tired of the excessive fear mongering on ATS. Every little thing is amped way up... This site is hypocritical to ever bash MSM for fear mongering... ATS beats them all combined.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I tracked this thing over my house for hours last night. The video does not do it justice but at least I got something. It looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. Viewing it with binoculars I could see a bright white light with blue edges and the tail. Wow this thing looked crazy with like eight tails of fiery looking stuff coming off the back. I also noticed some smaller objects around it wich you can make out a little in the video. It was a fun night anyways!.

Video
edit on 24-9-2011 by TruthSyrum because: Keep getting malformed video ID right off youtube???

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
You know, I remember when Skylab was coming down, and the biggest concern of people int he projected area was if they could get to the pieces to collect them before someone else did. These days, people worry about it hitting them in the head. Now, the way I figure it is, if you are killed by a falling satellite, it was your time to go. The odds on that have to be beyond astronomical (no pun intended...).

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21 >>

join