Update: falling satellite could impact eastern U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Is this source; The Examiner a reputable paper? I couldn't believe it when my friend told me about this until I asked for a link!?!
You know, I've been having the worse luck the past 2 months and this would be the topper. Literally!

Now, how many seconds will they be able to give us so we here in Florida ---who don't have basements---- can take cover under a palm tree?

This is inexcusable. I know I am saying this prematurely but for this to even be a consideration is inexcusable.

What's next, a comet?.....and space station? Looks like the Hopi's might be getting their Kachina-prophecies filled all within a a few months!

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Um, the Examiner is a tabloid dude...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
reply to post by Human_Alien

Bring it on!

Bring it on? Yeah sure easy for a Canadian to say that!

But I'll be sure to cheer you on if the ISS is scheduled to fall in your friggin country! Deal?
`

I`m not scared matey...lol...I`ll just get me 24 cans of bud and ride off into the sunset with me lumberjack!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

haha, it might well be

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Nobody was killed by debris from the space shuttle when broke apart on re entry. Pieces were scattered across the SE U.S. Chances of somebody dying are very slim. I'm not going to worry about space junk falling on my house. Chances are 3:1 that it falls into the ocean. Most of it should burn up.

Don't let this ruin your day. I live in the Midwest and have no bug out plans. If I see a fireball coming at me I will use the 5 D's; dodge, duck, dive, dip, and dodge.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I suspect ATS, Twitter etc FB are going to be rather busy tonight!!!

link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The only thing that even remotely concerns me about this satellite is public reaction from those who wouldn't understand what they're seeing. When this was projected to be directly over Israel a couple times today and possibly during it's firey re-entry I was very concerned.

How would people in the midst of street uprisings react to a "comet from nowhere"? Thankfully, that doesn't appear the problem now so we'll never have to find out the status of science education in the Middle East. Whew...for the timing, that was one possible bullet missed.

This little tin can is no threat beyond that though. Really... Sky Lab was ENORMOUS by comparison and no one was hurt or killed. Mir was much larger too...but it really doesn't count in my mind because it was brought down in a deliberate and controlled way to splash right around where it did.

If the little bit of debris that survives even lands within driving distance, go hunting for the ultimate souvenirs and try not to get hit while driving there. The traffic accident is a far larger threat than this little thing is while falling.

But whilst it still holds a chance to cause casualties, I don't think NASA (or you) are in any position to be so flippant about this. That's like me tossing a teeny tiny dime off the Empire State Building (I would've used WTC as an example but.....) and taking the position of; well it's more likely to strike pavement than actually hitting a person who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time so.............here goes!

link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

No the examiner is not a tabliod. I write for them an I have been writing for a year now there. There are a lot of good writers an some bad ones as well. The writers are responisible for their own research so the quality is ony as good as that person's ablity to research. It is interesting writing but it is like about.com.

I write about home based businesses that is why I have not written about this.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Great, probably zeroing in on my truck as we speak. This is why I can't have nice things.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I made a comment today to this effect that NASA could have used this as an excercise for a future much larger event...so I really take your point on this....I guess it just costs too much to worry about a bus sized piece of junk...but I think we should be more prepared in the future for some major event.

I couldn't agree more on that. Simple math and the law of averages says that one day, this won't be a drill and whatever is falling won't be bits of scrap metal spread over 10's of thousands of square miles. I'd say this is a bad weekend since it seems every emergency agency or military force on our PLANET with the exception of Fiji or Tonga already seem to be having full field training or drills this weekend into next...but I agree.

The public could have been educated by this dry run instead of using it as more fodder to confuse the public and make fools of people who aren't totally asleep. It will be the real thing some day.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Bring it on!

Bring it on? Yeah sure easy for a Canadian to say that!

But I'll be sure to cheer you on if the ISS is scheduled to fall in your friggin country! Deal?

Actually I`m English

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by leemachino
Nobody was killed by debris from the space shuttle when broke apart on re entry. Pieces were scattered across the SE U.S. Chances of somebody dying are very slim. I'm not going to worry about space junk falling on my house. Chances are 3:1 that it falls into the ocean. Most of it should burn up.

Don't let this ruin your day. I live in the Midwest and have no bug out plans. If I see a fireball coming at me I will use the 5 D's; dodge, duck, dive, dip, and dodge.

I don't know why but dipshi.....ah, nevermind!

Yeah yeah yeah. Happens all the time. Nothing ever happens. What are the odds. It should be all burnt up. Chances are very slim. 1 out of 3 chances. 1 in 3200 people. Blah blah blah

I'll let you know if I'm still alive tomorrow. Either way!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I made a comment today to this effect that NASA could have used this as an excercise for a future much larger event...so I really take your point on this....I guess it just costs too much to worry about a bus sized piece of junk...but I think we should be more prepared in the future for some major event.

I couldn't agree more on that. Simple math and the law of averages says that one day, this won't be a drill and whatever is falling won't be bits of scrap metal spread over 10's of thousands of square miles. I'd say this is a bad weekend since it seems every emergency agency or military force on our PLANET with the exception of Fiji or Tonga already seem to be having full field training or drills this weekend into next...but I agree.

The public could have been educated by this dry run instead of using it as more fodder to confuse the public and make fools of people who aren't totally asleep. It will be the real thing some day.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Absolutely my friend!!!...you have a really valid point...and I have been saying this many a time today...It will be the real deal one day....Maybe the military excercises going on could be a pre-attempt at dealing with such an emergency but they have decided to do it behind closed doors so as not to panic people...and that makes sense!.....they should take advantage of turning it into a semi-realistic event...just my two penneth worth.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Boreas
Great, probably zeroing in on my truck as we speak. This is why I can't have nice things.

And while you're at it, might as well blame it on Obama too!
That was funny!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

But whilst it still holds a chance to cause casualties, I don't think NASA (or you) are in any position to be so flippant about this. That's like me tossing a teeny tiny dime off the Empire State Building (I would've used WTC as an example but.....) and taking the position of; well it's more likely to strike pavement than actually hitting a person who happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time so.............here goes!

Of course, you're right. In a literal sense, there won't be a bit of humor to the unlucky guy who might get hit right in the head by a small piece of support structure coming down at terminal velocity. I guess these times of worries and daily crisis out of the MSM and Government on the 'global disaster' or regional calamity level just leave me a little numb and cold to the smaller threats. Thanks for the reality check that for someone, it could still be a bad night if they are in that proverbial wrong spot at the wrong moment.

You may have a real good point in so far as standing outside and looking for debris (If the path is over your area) may not be the greatest idea ever thought up. No need to tempt Mr Murphy, right?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by leemachino

I don't know why but dipshi.....ah, nevermind!

Yeah yeah yeah. Happens all the time. Nothing ever happens. What are the odds. It should be all burnt up. Chances are very slim. 1 out of 3 chances. 1 in 3200 people. Blah blah blah

Don`t worry...seriously....there`s 6.7 billion people on the planet....75% is water......unfortunately some of the pieces will survive re-entry because of what they`re made up of...titanium etc, aluminum...and they can survive hot temps....and the calculation of 26 pieces are only the pieces made up of those type of materials as well as the tanks...so it`s possible there could be even less pieces enter the atmos...but certainly not more....!

I'll let you know if I'm still alive tomorrow. Either way!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanJP

Where in FL do you live, man? I am on St. Pete beach.... I am getting ready to put together my "go bag", just in case.

Does your "go bag" contain an inflatable D.U.M.B. by any chance? If so, let's see, St Pete......WPB?......I can be there in 4 hours! I can bring the beer or coffee. Is there still time?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Of course, you're right. In a literal sense, there won't be a bit of humor to the unlucky guy who might get hit right in the head by a small piece of support structure coming down at terminal velocity. I guess these times of worries and daily crisis out of the MSM and Government on the 'global disaster' or regional calamity level just leave me a little numb and cold to the smaller threats. Thanks for the reality check that for someone, it could still be a bad night if they are in that proverbial wrong spot at the wrong moment.

You may have a real good point in so far as standing outside and looking for debris (If the path is over your area) may not be the greatest idea ever thought up. No need to tempt Mr Murphy, right?

Best to hope and pray for a barren area or water then....I think out of this people will be asking more questions about the safety of our planet and it`s people.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

So its not going to hit Egypt?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanJP

Don't bother. They won't know until 2 hours beforehand where exactly it will hit and it's carrying a 500 mile debris field. According to my math, you can't get out of a 500 mile radius within 2 hours.

The odds are 3200 to 1 it will hit a person. So tell me....are you feeling lucky?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Wasn't trying to rain on anybody's armageddon. Don't want to hear tomorrow that somebody had a heart attack from the stress brought on by worry that a piece of a satellite may land on them. At this point its still guesstimates of where it may hit.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join