It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update: falling satellite could impact eastern U.S.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
NASA Twitter feed reporting it broke up 30 minutes ago over Canada.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

Again this is nothing new and not that dangerous. Objects this size impact the earth at a rate of about 1 per day. The only reason this particular object is getting attention is some MSM joker decided to make a big deal about it and say how NASA is being unsafe. The fact still remains this is a near daily event and never once has there been a confirmed injury, let alone a fatality from falling space junk.

The car analogy does not work for you? Try these YEARLY statistics from the US. Then multiply it by the rest of the world to get the true numbers. I will include a rough odds calculation based on a population 0f 295 million people. This is not an exact number as the stats come from various years, and the numbers will get rounded to nice even values. Remember the SMALLER the number after the 1 (1:xxx) the MORE likely an event is going to occur. Keep in mind the injuries values do not mean a paper cut. These entail an injury serious enough to require hospital treatment.

Falling space junk? 0 verified cases. (1: undefined)
Driving your car? 43,000 (1:6,800) Deaths, injuries ~3M (1:98)
Mowing your lawn? Around 242,000 injuries and deaths (1:1200)
Water heaters exploding? Over 300 “deaths” (1:983,000) not sure on just “injuries” no data found
Elevator accidents? Around 17,000 thousand injuries (1:17,000), Deaths around 30 (1:9,800,000)
Billiards? About (1:6000) chance of injury
BBQ Grills? 3,448 (1:85,500)
Golf? Could not find exact numbers, but several deaths per year and numerous injuries.
Lightning? 238 injured 28 dead. (1:1,100,000)
Kite flying? Could not find any U.S. stats but in the city of Lahore over 200 injuries and several dead.
Plane crash? (1:244,000) averaged from 1999-2010 based on the mentioned 295M pop.

Again these stats are from the US over various years and the "odds" are based on a pop of 295M. This means these will not necessarily be found exactly the same on any web page, as these stats have been collected from a variety of sources. But looking at this you see the auto accident line? Pay close attention to this for all you people hating on NASA and saying how the need to be more careful. In the US you have around 1:98 chance of being injured by an automobile. Worldwide this number gets even worse as driving in other countries can be far more dangerous than in the U.S.

AGAIN LOOK AT THE AUTO ACCIDENT LINE ---- 1:98
edit on 24-9-2011 by byeluvolk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Canada is a good chunk of land. Not much water up there. But they're saying it 'most likely' broke up. Then what? Evaporated?
Good lawd!

I wonder if what I saw was this thing. If this 'broke up' on the east coast.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
reply to post by byeluvolk

It supposedly broke up over Canada so save your fun facts!

Yeah yeah yeah, odds were against this landing on someone or something but we are already aware of the odds.

(I can't stand preachers)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Well then look in the mirror with you preaching your doom and gloom and anti NASA diatribe.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Miami (CNN) -- Pieces of a defunct satellite plummeting toward Earth may have come to rest, NASA said Saturday morning

NASA says "it's possible" that the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite "is down by now," according to the agency's Twitter page early Saturday. But the agency said it is seeking official confirmation with the United States Strategic Command.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by byeluvolk

Well then look in the mirror with you preaching your doom and gloom and anti NASA diatribe.

My doom and gloom? NASA themselves are calling this their own 'doom' satellite.

I'm not preaching anything. There's a lot of diversity in my threads/posts. You have one post proclaiming odds. WE GET IT. We're not unaware of the likelihood of this NOT hitting us but because no one is telling us it absolutely WON'T hit us, it lends credence to some of us feeling a little vulnerable.

Besides, this is a conspiracy forum. I am HIGHLY suspicious about NASA. I don't preach about it. I toss it out and I move on.
I'm here to share. Not convince.

Don't like me? or the thread? Feel free to find and use the exit option.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Thanks PauliGirl. That helps corroborate what I am hearing. It supposedly broke up over Canada. But 'broke up' is so vague. Did it disintegrate ? Did pieces fall on cities and towns?

Guess we'll have to wait to hear the reports of witnesses or.....................victims.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I'm still here and it's early Saturday. No comet, but it's very muggy out and you can't see the sky due to cloud coverage. So much for it hitting the eastern side.
edit on 24-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   

No the point in question are the posts about how can NASA allow this to happen, this is despicable. They need to be safer with their toys. When in fact, we as a general public are far more dangerous with ours. Why should we expect that NASA or anybody for that matter can guarantee a perfect re entry with a zero percent chance of injury?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I'm still here and it's early Saturday. No comet, but it's very muggy out and you can't see the sky due to cloud coverage. So much for it hitting the eastern side.

Comet? You're either on the wrong thread, misspoke/typo (cause it was a satellite) or a time traveler.

But nice to see you though

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   

reply to post by jaynkeel

Again this is nothing new and not that dangerous. Objects this size impact the earth at a rate of about 1 per day.

Utter and absolute lies. NASA said the odds were 1:3200 that it would injure or kill someone. If that risk was happening every day, then about every 9 years people would be getting injured or killed by stuff falling out of the sky. Since that is not the case, and since there is only one recorded instance of someone getting hit (by man-made garbage falling out of orbit btw, not meteors), this is not a normal risk.

Apparently if byeluvolk was running a satellite program, about every decade someone would be killed by one of his satellites, and that wouldn't bother him in the slightest.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

No the point in question are the posts about how can NASA allow this to happen, this is despicable. They need to be safer with their toys. When in fact, we as a general public are far more dangerous with ours. Why should we expect that NASA or anybody for that matter can guarantee a perfect re entry with a zero percent chance of injury?

Let me ask you this then, what in your knowledge did UARS do for 20 years? Was it that important (if it did do what they purport that is) to endanger people?

I had no idea this satellite was even up there up until last month. So it wasn't THAT important.

I also didn't vote for this to be up there to begin with.

They are endangering my play land. This is MY planet. I have a right NOT to worry about satellites landing on my head.
Whereas (with your odds you listed) I put myself in traffic or on an airplane or in the ocean or in a house that might catch fire etc. I CHOOSE to push those odds that holds dangerous yet rare odds.

I did NOT choose this and THAT is what the difference is. I have a birth right to be in charge of my own destiny!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Give me a break, I just woke up. Satellite excuse me...

Either way, I'm still here.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

I stand corrected.
You're either on the wrong thread, misspoke/typo, time traveler or just woke up.

By the way, 'just woke up'?...where are you? Europe or were you just drunk on a Friday night in America?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

I stand corrected.
You're either on the wrong thread, misspoke/typo, time traveler or just woke up.

By the way, 'just woke up'?...where are you? Europe or were you just drunk on a Friday night in America?

"falling satellite could impact eastern U.S"

A: I'm on the eastern side of the US, Unless the world has changed and California is now the Eastern side.
B: No satellite has fallen and I have seen nothing in the sky. It looks like Silent Hill outside with all the fog. So, can't see anything.
C: I'm still here. So, nothing major happened and the world didn't end.
D: No, I was exhausted from running back and forth on campus. Does wear you down when you don't get 5 minutes to even sit to run to classes.

Seems I'm on the right thread. I just typed the wrong object.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
Thought I was alone with this one....but the skies over the little corner of north carolina I live in has been VERY busy. Around 9:45 pm I went outside and got in my car to go pick my aunt up from work. Before I get in my car I look up and see LOTS of planes passing by. Im use to planes in this area, they pass by all the time out here in the boonies but the thing that got me this time is some of these planes were VERY close to each other. At one point it even seemed like two planes were playing "follow the leader".... my friend that was with me at the time even said "hmmmm that's a first".... at this time I didn't think nothin too major was gonna happen until I'm on my way to get my aunt and I literally almost wrecked 6-7 times trynna look at this light that had just appeared. I ended up being around 30 minutes late picking up my aunt and when I got there to pick her up she could tell I was somewhat shaken.

She tried to talk about everyday things on the ride to her house, and I was listening but at the same time I was looking out for this "object". Well when I was around 3 minutes from her house it appeared suddenly and had me glancing up and then back to the road over and over.... I wanted to tell my aunt what was going on but at the actual heat of the moment I was too shocked to even tell her I'm seeing this light appear, disappear, then reappear over and over. It was NOT blinking like an airplane but was very very bright with different colors to very dim, and then completely gone at times. This lasted for those 3 minutes and then when I pulled in her driveway I had to tell her what I saw. I said "I dont want to sound crazy but I just saw some light in the sky and I dont know how to explain it".... I told her I had watched from like 3 minutes from her house until now. She said "why didn't you let me know?" and pretty much told her I was literally in shock and didn't know how to react. Well when she was getting out IT REAPPEARED!!!!! I told her to look and no lie we watched this strange light for about 10 minutes while standing outside my car in her driveway. She was shocked and amazed. I woke up her neighbors on accident from all the excitement.... I kept saying oh my god over and over but I was so excited and everything... this is the first FULL concrete evidence of "something else" being out there. I had one other encounter but it was VERY brief... .this thing was not brief and it was like it was wanting to be seen. After the 10 minutes in the driveway I figured the more witnesses the better so I knocked on the front door of my aunt's house so I could tell my cousin about this light. Well I did and she came out and was shocked..... me, my cousin, and my aunt watched the light for another 10 minutes and I was shaking like a leaf. We all concluded that It was not a plane, helicopter, or any type of mundane craft just for the simple nature of this light (which I'll explain fully later in this post) I wished I would've had a camera on hand cause I would've recorded from the moment I saw it to the moment it was gone ( which was an hour after seeing it the first time), I have two witnesses though ( but probably more considering there were a lot of cars on the road at the time and there was just NO way they didn't see this,,, I'll snoop around and ask some people on facebook if they were looking at the sky anywhere between 9:45 pm and 11:00 pm, and if they seen that light).

Description of Light(s): It was actually two lights but the other I want to semi-dismiss cause it may well have been a star. The other light was twinkling like a star and everything but the odd thing about that other light was it disappeared and reappeared like the main light though. I never heard of a star disappearing and reappearing like that... either it's there or it's not... this "semi-dismissed" light was also way further away.

Main Light: This thing was changing colors in a very subtle way. Would dim out completely and then have the brightest shine of white light... then it would change it's tint from white to green to red and then a violet kind of color. It wasn't doing it all fast, it was very subtle but you would notice the changes.... It would then disappear for a 5-10 seconds at a time.... reappear a new color sometimes with a haze around it.... it always kept a green like aura about it until it would go into "high beam" mode then it would be the most brilliant white. It didn't twinkle and it didn't blink at all... It was no type of craft from earth and I dont even know if it was a craft but it was definitely HUGE and fascinating!!!! There is just no way that me, my aunt, and my cousin were the only ones to see it because it was so brilliant in the sky. It was alot closer and lower than the other light but it was not making any immediate movements.. was definitely hovering in some kind of way.

I'm not here to fearmonger or cause an uproar. these words are truer than the panic breaths I'm taking right now! Be safe!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Cape Breton here,,
very,,very,,
silent hill,,
no noise
either,,
and just watched a zombie, show,,
The Walking Dead,,
new show,, very good.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAnnunakiReturn,BobAthome

Where in NC are you located?

Hey Bobathome: Make sure to run when you hear the sirens, could be that huge guy coming after us.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   

reply to post by TheAnnunakiReturn,BobAthome

Where in NC are you located?

Hey Bobathome: Make sure to run when you hear the sirens, could be that huge guy coming after us.

Davie county north carolina...... between winston-salem and lexington

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join