It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Update: falling satellite could impact eastern U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Update: falling satellite could impact eastern U.S.

www.examiner.com

In an ever-changing scenario, NASA now says that a decaying UARS satellite could impact the eastern United States sometime late Friday or early Saturday. Because of variability in the satellite's rate of descent, pinpointing exactly where it will fall will be difficult until the final two hours, according to NASA and other sources monitoring the satellite's descent.

The probabilities of an eastern U.S. impact are low, but if the satellite re-enters the Earth's atmosphere at a slightly later time than predicted, the debris field could include the eastern U.S. Latest estimates place the t
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Is this source; The Examiner a reputable paper? I couldn't believe it when my friend told me about this until I asked for a link!?!
You know, I've been having the worse luck the past 2 months and this would be the topper. Literally!

Now, how many seconds will they be able to give us so we here in Florida ---who don't have basements---- can take cover under a palm tree?

This is inexcusable. I know I am saying this prematurely but for this to even be a consideration is inexcusable.

What's next, a comet?.....and space station? Looks like the Hopi's might be getting their Kachina-prophecies filled all within a a few months!

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Im not sure a basement would help the situation...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Bring it on!

link   

Where in FL do you live, man? I am on St. Pete beach.... I am getting ready to put together my "go bag", just in case.

link   
It has been mentioned here too.

online.wsj.com...

NASA on Friday warned there was still a small chance that remnants of a falling research satellite could end up in parts of the U.S., though scientists weren't able to predict the precise trajectory or exactly when the space junk would reach the ground.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Time to get the tinfoil hat out and hide under the table with two pencils shoved up your nose

it`ll prob land in the Atlantic or Pacific...they`re big ya know!

+3 more 
posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It looks like they're trying to cover all the bases.
"Nobody get alarmed if you see things burning up in the atmosphere, it's just space junk".
So if you see something that looks like a flash of a nuclear bomb going off don't get all panicky, just sit there and watch tv until we tell you are going to get hit next.
WTH is going on??
World's governments all on "recess"
FEMA drill in Denver
Methinks there is more going on than what they are telling us.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Now the time line has also changed, just
A couple of hours to go. I live in Indiana,
midwest US but pretty close to the east
coast if this thing is off by a few hundred
miles. I am concerned about this -
I have friends and family in Ky, Florida,
Virginia, Tennessee, NY, etc.

I am not even sure one could dodge
the junk if you saw it coming If it
hits someone or their house in my
opinion NASA should be fully
responsible!

9:00 pm est or there abouts.

link   
The only thing that even remotely concerns me about this satellite is public reaction from those who wouldn't understand what they're seeing. When this was projected to be directly over Israel a couple times today and possibly during it's firey re-entry I was very concerned.

How would people in the midst of street uprisings react to a "comet from nowhere"? Thankfully, that doesn't appear the problem now so we'll never have to find out the status of science education in the Middle East. Whew...for the timing, that was one possible bullet missed.

This little tin can is no threat beyond that though. Really... Sky Lab was ENORMOUS by comparison and no one was hurt or killed. Mir was much larger too...but it really doesn't count in my mind because it was brought down in a deliberate and controlled way to splash right around where it did.

If the little bit of debris that survives even lands within driving distance, go hunting for the ultimate souvenirs and try not to get hit while driving there. The traffic accident is a far larger threat than this little thing is while falling.

link   
Yep, this NASA satelite should cover their bases when it comes to seeing a "UFO."

Don't mind the rainbow colored sparkly tetrahedron thingy floating next to your house, that's just a NASA satelite. Nothing to see here folks!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner
It has been mentioned here too.

online.wsj.com...

NASA on Friday warned there was still a small chance that remnants of a falling research satellite could end up in parts of the U.S., though scientists weren't able to predict the precise trajectory or exactly when the space junk would reach the ground.

Some of the facts in the article are wrong...only 26 pieces will survive re entry and I am pretty sure it`s not weighing 1300 llbs- this has been discussed at length all over the web today. Check out Nasa.gov as they have the precise weight and the amount of pieces listed.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jools
Time to get the tinfoil hat out and hide under the table with two pencils shoved up your nose

And guess what (with my luck) I am 1.5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and...it'll be high tide! I am in West Palm Beach.

Wasn't there or isn't there a prophecy or prediction (for lack of better words) saying once something happens to Miami or....that they see something happening to Miami? Does anyone know what I am referring to?

Also, is The Examiner a good paper (sounds like an oxymoron) or is it like the Weekly World News?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I made a comment today to this effect that NASA could have used this as an excercise for a future much larger event...so I really take your point on this....I guess it just costs too much to worry about a bus sized piece of junk...but I think we should be more prepared in the future for some major event.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

are any agencies showing pics of it yet?

i've just heard someone on facebook say it's burning up, has a purple tail and is heading north

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Bring it on!

Bring it on? Yeah sure easy for a Canadian to say that!

But I'll be sure to cheer you on if the ISS is scheduled to fall in your friggin country! Deal?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I would like to take this opportunity to briefly uncork my prediction of said sat fall made back on 18 September2011:

Roughly... along a line between south of San Diego, CA and Virginia Beach, VA... with a rain pattern that extends roughly 100 miles to either side based on jet stream and wind currents. Post Link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good Morning America or Today or any mainscream news network that would like an interview - providing a correct prognostication - may contact me here at ATS for arrangements.

(**Note to ATS: Yes! You get a cut if I get it right,)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

Sorry Beav......I had to (in relation to your post on my other thread......)

it's burning up, has a purple tail and is heading north

Ya sure that's not Mrs. Beaver ?

(that was so funny to me)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

And guess what (with my luck) I am 1.5 miles from the Atlantic Ocean and...it'll be high tide! I am in West Palm Beach.

Wasn't there or isn't there a prophecy or prediction (for lack of better words) saying once something happens to Miami or....that they see something happening to Miami? Does anyone know what I am referring to?

Also, is The Examiner a good paper (sounds like an oxymoron) or is it like the Weekly World News?

Sorry I didn`t mean to be so dismissive..and of course lots of people are concerned. I think this has highlighted today just how concerned people are should it have been a bigger fish to fry....and rightly so. I am quite annoyed with NASA and their response to this as they have exposed themselves today a bit in their lack of knowledge when Solar Winds are factored in...Just goes to show you they don`t know everything although my understanding is that it is now in more of a descent and I would think there will be an announcement definitely in the next two three hrs when it will be more precise where it;s going to land...Small comfort to people who are worried but statistically the odds of it hitting people is quite low...26 pieces scattered over 500km...if it were to cause a tsunami...I can`t see it being of concern given the smattering of pieces as opposed to one giant humungous piece of debris. The Examiner a lot of my ATS friends tend to think it`s like a few of the tabloids out there that sensationalize and get off on panicking people...Look at Fox News last night...some people do take things seriously and they should consider their feelings..
The guy on there was taking the you know what saying we`re all gonna die and it`s going to kill everyone...and I actually saw people on the web that were genuinely frightened...so I can see both sides....

I have been on here a lot today and it`s been a blast and it`s people like Phage i rely on because him and a few others are the top guys who do the research and know. I know I keep blowing Phages trumpet...lol but seriously if he was worried...thats when i would worry.
Regards Jools x

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
I would like to take this opportunity to briefly uncork my prediction of said sat fall made back on 18 September2011:

Roughly... along a line between south of San Diego, CA and Virginia Beach, VA... with a rain pattern that extends roughly 100 miles to either side based on jet stream and wind currents. Post Link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Good Morning America or Today or any mainscream news network that would like an interview - providing a correct prognostication - may contact me here at ATS for arrangements.

(**Note to ATS: Yes! You get a cut if I get it right,)

Whew, Florida is safe from democracy....I mean, safe from a falling satellite, then? Thanks
to your uncanny ability to predict!

Live time animated tracking UARS site

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join