It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration to Ban Asthma Inhalers Over Environmental Concerns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Why are your (America's) Inhalers not CFC free?

The CFC's are a medium that aid in absorption better. It provides a higher level of drug efficacy.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
So I'm guessing this is benefitting the pharmaceutical companies somehow......why else would they do this

Everything is about money as usual. This country is disgusting.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
The CFC's are a medium that aid in absorption better. It provides a higher level of drug efficacy.

Source?

CFC's are nothing more than compressed gas used to push out contents of aerosol sprays. They are outdated and provide zero benefit to the human body and, even worse, cause damage to the ozone layer. They offer no aid in absorption.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by WildWorld

Apparently the only OTC inhaler available falls squarely under this ban with no alternatives available right now..so yeah, the drug companies that make them now or will make a version before the ban should clean up with a public that can't get one any other way.

On another point.... As Beezer said, the fact this started under Reagan is irrelevant. The Bin Laden problem started under Bush Sr. and was nurtured into the end result for 8 years under Clinton. Should that absolve Baby Bush? Absolutely NOT! Obama could end this with a stroke of that mighty pen he's been using for executive orders so much here lately. We'll have this because as sitting President, he allowed this to proceed to the final stage. It's a simple fact.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

My masters in neurobiology. (My only source at present) Sorry, don't have the time nor the patience to instruct in organic chemistry.

CFC's (Chlorofluorocarbon's) act the same way as DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) in providing a better transport medium for the target drug to enter the system.

It is just more efficatious.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Whew... i thought my son was going to lose many clients/patients

but it looks like his business will still be intact as he administers prescription inhalents/nebulizers/and other medications that go through the medicare processes for payment

it seems to me that some vaccines can be administered through the inhalation methods instead of by syringes... the gov't isn't too far behind the curve afterall (it seems)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   

My masters in neurobiology. (My only source at present) Sorry, don't have the time nor the patience to instruct in organic chemistry.

CFC's (Chlorofluorocarbon's) act the same way as DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) in providing a better transport medium for the target drug to enter the system.

It is just more efficatious.

I took 4 semesters of organic chem....B.S. in Biology. I'm certain I can comprehend. Surly, you are supporting your thesis with previously peer reviewed material that you could direct me to, or is this breakthrough research with no previous citations? BTW, I'm not tying to be a dick, I'm honestly curious.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Why don't they just use CFCs anyway? I'm willing to bet thousands of big companies use CFCs or even more hazardous compounds all the time and pollute the environment with them. The government just issues a license to pollute at a certain rate and volume for a fee, then fines the companies when they get caught going over that rate. Then the EPA or DNR or who ever uses a little of the money to clean up a small amount of toxins from the environment.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

I use prescription inhalers and sometimes have to wear
a face mask.My asthma is triggered by an allergy to
perfume and artificially scented items.I can't go into some
stores during the holiday season,those pesky cinnamon
pinecones.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Another misleading "blame Obama" headline. The ban was enacted in 2006 under Bush. Obama literally has nothing to do with it.

The OP couldn't even get the "Ban Asthma Inhalers" part right, they're only phasing out the CFC variety. Asthma inhalers themselves aren't going anywhere.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Actually, the ban was imposed under Bush, but it was specified that the ban would not take effect until January 1, 2012.

The FDA first began public discussion about the use of CFCs for epinephrine inhalers in January 2006; the agency finalized the phase-out date for using CFCs in these inhalers and first notified the public in November 2008.

www.kxlh.com...

ATS is getting very tired and old recently. any claim can be made, and all the sheep line up and over react. well done sir for looking itno it on your own

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I worked with DMSO as a grad student and afterwards. Soley as a transport agent, so I am familiar with the CFC and/or basic alcohol bases that are used to deliver across membranes.

Transport agents are one of the keys that pharma uses deliver compounds.

ETA; my masters was on new nerve growth in the spinal cord. RE Wm. Mulach and Tishendorf. Gave my presentation at Perdue at the Neuro conference. My work with DMSO specifically was with Dr's Allen Roses and Chi-Ming Lee with Alzheimers studies.

edit on 23-9-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest

ATS is getting very tired and old recently. any claim can be made, and all the sheep line up and over react. well done sir for looking itno it on your own

Yeah, it's not a recent phenomenon...it's been ongoing since I joined. I have suggested, more than once, that the motto should be more encompassing than "deny ignorance". At a minimum, it should also include "deny misrepresentation". Good luck with that! This website thrives on misrepresentation. Just try to get the MODS to "hoax" a misrepresented thread.....or even correct the title to accurately portray the truth...IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. They welcome misrepresentation with open arms. It's a shady business decision that will ALWAYS keep this site from being a frontrunner in the pursuit of truth.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

ETA; my masters was on new nerve growth in the spinal cord. RE Wm. Mulach and Tishendorf. Gave my presentation at Perdue at the Neuro conference. My work with DMSO specifically was with Dr's Allen Roses and Chi-Ming Lee with Alzheimers studies.

KUDOS to you Beezer! I have a new found respect for your opinions. Seriously!

I hold higher education in the highest regard.

Push politics aside, I bet we would get along nicely.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man

KUDOS to you Beezer! I have a new found respect for your opinions. Seriously!

I hold higher education in the highest regard.

Push politics aside, I bet we would get along nicely.

Thanks. I gave the names so you could google if needed, cheers.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I think that might be unfair ATS criticism, considering the volume of posts here. They can't police it all. Take this OP for example. It has already been shown that the new rules originated under the Bush administration, yet has anyone either alerted or u2u'd a staff member to change the title of the thread? If the truth is not present, it is more the members' fault.

The bottom line with the new inhalers is DO THEY WORK? Because from personal experience, when you can't breathe, that's ALL THAT MATTERS. The sense I get from all this after reading the thread is that the new inhalers may not work as well, but yet will cost more. Thanks for the input and comments, as this issue most definitely concerns me.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

I think that might be unfair ATS criticism, considering the volume of posts here. They can't police it all.

I don't see it that way. I have, more times than I can count, alerted staff to "misrepresented" threads. No action was ever taken...not one damn time.

Take this OP for example. It has already been shown that the new rules originated under the Bush administration, yet has anyone either alerted or u2u'd a staff member to change the title of the thread?

You got me here; I'll admit it....I didn't report the misrepresentation. However, after 2+ years of reporting (and pushing for action) on misrepresented threads, I simply gave up. Am I being unfair? Not from my perspective. Before you tell me that it's an unfair criticism, try it out for yourself....when you see something misrepresented, then report it. Send me a PM and let me know how that works out for you.

ETA: I am going to run a test. I am about to report this thread as a "misrepresentation". We will see how it goes. Of course, since I brought this issue up in this thread, I can easily see how they will take action in this one instance....we shall see.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
The bottom line with the new inhalers is DO THEY WORK? Because from personal experience, when you can't breathe, that's ALL THAT MATTERS.
I suppose they work, the one I use also has albuterol (under the name salbutamol), and it works.

The gas used to propel the salbutamol is Norflurane, which I do not know if it's a banned CFC or not.

The sense I get from all this after reading the thread is that the new inhalers may not work as well, but yet will cost more. Thanks for the input and comments, as this issue most definitely concerns me.
Apparently (according to Wikipedia), it's a patents problem, that's why the non-CFC versions are more expensive.

Some days ago there was a rumour here in Portugal that the government was thinking about reducing their percentage of the price of asthma inhalers, but it looks (or so the government says) that was just a rumour. But having said that, here in Portugal, a salbutamol inhaler (Ventilan) costs 3.63 Euros, and I only have to pay some 40% of that, less than 1.5 Euros.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Well lucky you. Here they are over $ 20.00 USD already, when I can remember not long ago they were $4.89.

But you know what will really piss me off? If I have to go to the doctor for a friggin prescription. WHO is going to pay for the DOCTOR VISIT? I can't afford no doctor. And I can't afford the damn things as they are now, let alone if they go UP in price, PLUS the cost of a doctor's visit.

Fricken fine. When doctors all of a sudden start getting beaten up and murdered on the street for a lousy prescription, I don't want to hear it. Cause there IS no alternative to severe asthma suffers other than DEATH. So now I am forced to pay some 150.00 just to be able to breathe?

NO. Just no. I never thought I'd go out this way, and it won't be pretty.

Headline:
"Broke Asthma suffers turn to robbing and forcing doctors to sign prescriptions for life sustaining medication. Some are even killed."

You just keep it up, BIG GOVERNMENT.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Wow if your asthma is that bad you should see a doctor anyways, sounds like you need medical treatment. If your broke just head to the ER the taxpayer will pick up the tab for you.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join