It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why won't the satellite that is falling just burn up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is my? Why won't this satellite just burn up upon reentry? Just looking for answer. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Because of it size and materials, think of putting a small headache tablet into water and it dissolves, now put in a large tablet it will take longer...

Same with this satellite because of its size and the materials its made of, by the time its fully through the atmosphere some of it will still be intact.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
They are worried specifically about solid aluminium and stainless steel pieces, 500kg in all, guess it won't reach hot enough temperatures. 660degreesC for Aluminium and 1500degreesC for Stainless.... Which seems pretty low for re-entry standards?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

It will to a certain extent except for 26 pieces cos they are like titanium, tanks and beryllium ...bits and bobs that can withstand the heat of re-entry my friend

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Where is it now, does any one know where it's landing yet

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jarusica

Latest quote from NASA
Update #10
Fri, 23 Sep 2011 07:45:08 AM PDT

As of 10:30 a.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 100 miles by 105 miles (160 km by 170 km). Re-entry is expected late Friday, Sept. 23, or early Saturday, Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time. Solar activity is no longer the major factor in the satellite’s rate of descent. The satellite’s orientation or configuration apparently has changed, and that is now slowing its descent. There is a low probability any debris that survives re-entry will land in the United States, but the possibility cannot be discounted because of this changing rate of descent. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 12 to 18 hours.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Jools

What is the temp for re-entry?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jarusica

Just passed North of brighton 2 mins ago.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Most of it will burn up, but several larger pieces wont. This article had some great graphics on the size of the satellite and projections on what will survive re-entry.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 23-9-2011 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KoolerKing

Oh Lordy now you've got me...pretty hot I would imagine as specified aluminum etc can withstand high temps...but by the time it lands things will have cooled a bit...However i wouldn't suggest touching any of it!

Phage would be your man on this!....
But I have heard quotes of 1500 degrees???

new topics

top topics

join