It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sukhoi T-4MS strategic bomber/missile carrier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   

On January 10, 1969, Minister of Aviation Industry of USSR signed contract about building and development of a double - mode (swept wing) bomber - missile carrier. Three Design Bureaus: A.N. Tupolev, V.M. Myasishev, and P.O. Sukhoi participated in the contract. According to the same contract, Bureaus should also develop the weaponry and aboard equipment. Contract for the development of radio-electronical complex was signed by Ministry of Radio-electronical Industry on Mai 25, 1969.
After governmental contest contract was officially published, the Sukhoi Design Bureau started the development of a brand new Strategic double-mode aircraft the T-4MS (S - strategic) based on the experiences gained from the T-4 �Sotka�. It was planned to install the same powerplants, aboard systems and equipment, use already known materials, typical constructional - technological solutions, as well as proven technological processes. Industrial nickname was chosen to be �200� because of its take off weight close to 200 t....

......Absolutely fantastic aerodynamical quality was reached 17,5 at Mach 0.8 and 7.3 at Mach 3.0. With this new integral modification the problem of wing deformation was also solved. Smaller area of the wing along with the hard carrying fuselage ensured the capability of flying at an extreme speeds near the ground. Rotation devices could change angle of the wing from 30 to 72 degrees.

www.testpilot.ru...

What a sleek looking bomber and this was in the 1970's and the Soviets no less.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Good post, evetually this compettion morphed into what became the TU-160 Blackjack. Its a cool concept the lifting body combined with the outrigger swing wings is a novel concept.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Good post, evetually this compettion morphed into what became the TU-160 Blackjack. Its a cool concept the lifting body combined with the outrigger swing wings is a novel concept.

It's a shame they discontinued the development of this design, it looks better than the 160. Could you imagine the looks on the US observers at a May Day Parade if a T-4ms flew over in the 70's.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Cool looking bomber I wonder if this was going to be their answer to the US Valkyrie bomber.

why did they scrap this design the cost?

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Cool looking bomber I wonder if this was going to be their answer to the US Valkyrie bomber. why did they scrap this design the cost?

I don't think it was a cost issue. Remeber that the Soviet military got what it was wanted. I did read a Yefrim Gordon book that talked alot about the development and my impression was that a battle between design groups. The T-4MS won, but it eventually was dropped in favor of the TU-160. I think it was more of a technology issue than anything else.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Cool looking bomber I wonder if this was going to be their answer to the US Valkyrie bomber.

why did they scrap this design the cost?

They had a problem with getting the centre of gravity in the middle.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
The time scale for this Russian bomber and the B-70 Valkyrie are pretty close and their stats seem to be pretty close to each other though the dam metric system is messing me up
. Curse you America for not taking the Metric system.

Heres a link to some Valkyrie stats so mabye someone better at math could see if the are indeed close to each other.

www.fas.org...

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 08:00 AM
link   

www.aeronautics.ru...

[edit on 30-10-2004 by mad scientist]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the link mad scientist. There stats seem to be very close to each other and it would seem they were both made for the same role, flying in nukes high and fast to a target.

B-70 Valkyrie

Range: 4,288 miles
Speed: 2,000 mph
Weight loaded: 534,700 lbs. loaded
Service Ceiling: 77,350 ft.

T-4

Range: 3,728 miles
Speed: 1,864-1,988 mph
Weight loaded: 220,000-243,000 lb
Service Ceiling: 66,000-79,000 ft

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

www.aeronautics.ru...

[edit on 30-10-2004 by mad scientist]

Thanks for that, I was going to ask why there appeared to be two completely different 'Sukhoi T-4's', now I know the difference

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This project was abadoned because of the geostrategic policy. The development was stopped in 1972, when Americans and Soviets accepted the declaration of freezing the nubmers of their strategic weapons (sorry, I dont know, how it exactly write in English, but I hope that you understand). As is usuall, pictures can be found at:

www.hitechweb.szm.sk...

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 01:54 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join