It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Shaun of the Dead - A second look

page: 1
3

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I was home for lunch today, and this was on. It's easy to forget why this movie worked so well.

Watching it again, I saw something that made me realize it.

It's a zombie movie made for zombie fans, but then twisted. What I mean is, they took your expectations, and twisted them.

For example, in one of the opening scenes, you see a shambling person... You leap to the conclusion it's a zombie, but it's really just Shaun getting up in the morning.

For most of the beginning, numerous people surprise Shaun, yet they turn out to be normal people, not corpses.

Then, there's the scene where he's walking into a store, and then home. A person runs by him, there's blood, etc. and you expect him to notice any minute now, that something isn't right. But...he doesn't. He's oblivious, even as they get closer and one nearly gets him.

He's encountered numerous zombies before he ever comes to realize what's going on.

He watches the news, and we, as the audience, know the stories are probably talking about the zombie attacks, but he never sees enough to make the connection, as he skips through the channels!

I think it's this irreverence for the classic "realization" scene, that really makes this movie work, and unique among zombie classics.




posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I love that movie, it's one of my favorites. There are zombies all around us every day, they just aren't trying to eat our brains....yet.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Great movie.. i Love Pegg!!! (even if he is friends with that mutant from coldplay)

Might need to watch it tonite now



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok
 


Please don't tell me you just noticed all that.

Could be you're a zombie?



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I'm just sad that other than Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz I haven't seen Pegg in a movie that I actually liked. The guy could have built an empire on genre spoofs, heck I would have watched them.

I'd like to see him do more with the old Black Books/Spaced crew. Putting him in a movie with Kirsten Dunst just seems wrong. Like drinking beer and eating cake.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex
 


Noticing it and appreciating it are two different things. The first time seeing it, I pretty much noticed and just enjoyed the flick and didn't analyze it at all...



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by TDawgRex
 


Noticing it and appreciating it are two different things. The first time seeing it, I pretty much noticed and just enjoyed the flick and didn't analyze it at all...


Now that could be a thread all it's own.

My old Det Commander was an analyst in his real job. But down range, it usually came to me getting things done as he had a tendency to over analyze. That can slow things down.

If actually boils it down to observation and decision making.

In the Case of Shaun of the Dead. My decision was fricking hilarious!



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I came home and it was on cable.
so I did not see the start.
Now I must see it from the start.
thank you.
and yes we have zombies ever ware.
they eat your brain using the TV and the news.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Yes, excellent movie with many subtleties that are only realized through multiple viewings.

Actually, Pegg's movie 'Paul' is pretty good as well, some really funny scenes and lots of little jokes I only noticed after watching several times (my son loves it so we end up running it at least a couple times a month).



posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I was home for lunch today, and this was on. It's easy to forget why this movie worked so well.

Watching it again, I saw something that made me realize it.

It's a zombie movie made for zombie fans, but then twisted. What I mean is, they took your expectations, and twisted them.

For example, in one of the opening scenes, you see a shambling person... You leap to the conclusion it's a zombie, but it's really just Shaun getting up in the morning.

For most of the beginning, numerous people surprise Shaun, yet they turn out to be normal people, not corpses.

Then, there's the scene where he's walking into a store, and then home. A person runs by him, there's blood, etc. and you expect him to notice any minute now, that something isn't right. But...he doesn't. He's oblivious, even as they get closer and one nearly gets him.

He's encountered numerous zombies before he ever comes to realize what's going on.

He watches the news, and we, as the audience, know the stories are probably talking about the zombie attacks, but he never sees enough to make the connection, as he skips through the channels!

I think it's this irreverence for the classic "realization" scene, that really makes this movie work, and unique among zombie classics.


Exactly. It was made for the fans. "Shaun of the Dead" was a parody of the zombie genre as a whole. Just like "Hot Fuzz" was a parody of the buddy cop drama genre. And they really made them both work. Great films.

"Paul", not so much. I didn't like it as much as the other two.



posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec
I'm just sad that other than Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz I haven't seen Pegg in a movie that I actually liked. The guy could have built an empire on genre spoofs, heck I would have watched them.

I'd like to see him do more with the old Black Books/Spaced crew. Putting him in a movie with Kirsten Dunst just seems wrong. Like drinking beer and eating cake.


Definitely agree there. He needs to get his own thing going instead of relying on other people's scripts to land on his doormat and make something great again.

I loved how they never mentioned the word "zombie" in that film too. And meeting another film of similar characters halfway through. Lot of great moments.

Pegg's movies since Hot Fuzz remind me of the time I thought "cool, Russell Brand, I used to enjoy his drunken, drug fuelled conversations with people in rave clubs on MTV years ago" then realising that actually, he's an unfunny dick away from what made him popular in the first place.



posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
This was a great movie actually...

Its funny though, the writer is basically making fun of the world... The way he wanders through the streets that are filled with dead people walking. And he is completely oblivious to it...

Shawn was basically a zombie... but slowly he woke up

Are we really so much like zombies in real life?


Great movie though




posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FEDec
 


Have you seen 'Run Fatboy, Run'?

I thought it was a decent movie...



posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalisdad
reply to post by FEDec
 


Have you seen 'Run Fatboy, Run'?

I thought it was a decent movie...


I have, several times (and not by choice)

Really hated it and the blister scene......even thinking about it almost makes me hurl. I can watch graphic horror movies and videos of actual deaths but stuff in movies that purposely try to gross you out? No thanks.

That's why I despise teen sex comedies like American Pie and that ilk. Rely too much on grossing you out than having an actual script that is genuinely funny.



posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec
I'm just sad that other than Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz I haven't seen Pegg in a movie that I actually liked. The guy could have built an empire on genre spoofs, heck I would have watched them.

I'd like to see him do more with the old Black Books/Spaced crew. Putting him in a movie with Kirsten Dunst just seems wrong. Like drinking beer and eating cake.


I very much liked him in Star Trek. Hell, I think he stole the show!



posted on Sep, 30 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It's realistic in an odd way. Most people do go day to day in a zombified haze. I probably wouldn't think anything amiss trying to get some fags from the garage first thing on a Sunday morning with a hangover either.
And wouldn't we ALL go to the pub?



posted on Oct, 3 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria
 


For my fellow Americans, by "fags" I'm assuming the poster means cigarettes...vs. actually keeping homosexuals locked in the garage. So no need to call the police (Bobbies).....



posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
one of my favorite scenes in that movie is when they are throwing the records at the zombies.



new topics

top topics



 
3

log in

join