It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Did Consciousness Come From?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
What makes you say animals don't have consciousness? Define consciousness... What do you think makes us so different from animals? We just happen to be the animals who evolved to invent things (and ruin the world with our egotistical, selfish attitude).

I think "consciousness" came from evolution to answer you're question. Yeah i know the theory is flawed... but its the best we've got.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain
reply to post by filosophia

Consciousness and sensory experience are not two things, they happen as one. Consciousness is not aware of 'things', it is the appearance of 'things' or knowing, experiencing. 'Things' can not appear without it.
The true self is not a 'thing'. It is nothing.
When the self is looked for and no thing (nothing) is found then that is the realization of self.
It can not be seen, smelt, tasted or touched.
When it is known all 'things' (matter, material) are seen as illusionary.
edit on 24-9-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

I understand what you're saying, but there is an alternative explanation. Consciousness can not be both material and immaterial at the same time. If it is material it can not know the immaterial, if it is immaterial it can not know the material. True Knowing must then be immaterial, whereas physical consciousness is aware of physical things.

I understand what you're saying because "I" am consciousness, which is why I am conscious. So I can be aware of myself as well as any other thing. But there are two essential "things" to be conscious of, consciousness itself, and physical objects. There is a limit to how conscious I can be of physical objects, and for that matter I can only use words to describe my true Self since it is immaterial and beyond form. Thus I can't ever be really conscious of the Self the same way that I am conscious of what my eyes see. True knowing is thus beyond intellectual or conscious awareness and is simply a "knowing" that can never be fully obtained in life but can be sought after. After death, the final barrier is overcome and we finally become conscious of the Knower.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   

The 'things' (physical objects) have no reality. Awareness of, is primary. No 'thing' can appear to exist without the presence of consciousness.
All 'things' (everything) are appearing in the space of consciousness.
There is no matter as such. Just appearances.
There are not two things to be aware of. There is awareness, full stop.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

The true knowing is what you are when you are in deep sleep (the absolute), prior to the appearances appearing. That void (the absolute) is the true knowing but it has nothing to know. Consciousness is when the 'things' colors, patterns are appearing, but they can not appear without the absolute.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   

When you say you can be aware of your self as well as any other thing, are you thinking that you are a 'thing'?
Consciousness is not a 'thing'.
Consciousness can be aware of consciousness. A 'thing' can not be conscious.

Consciousness is the seeing, the tasting, the smelling.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
God gave mankind consciousness.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Simple answer and a simple truth to me.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

The 'things' (physical objects) have no reality. Awareness of, is primary. No 'thing' can appear to exist without the presence of consciousness.
All 'things' (everything) are appearing in the space of consciousness.
There is no matter as such. Just appearances.
There are not two things to be aware of. There is awareness, full stop.

Even if that were true that objects only appear in the field of consciousness, since every living thing has some type of consciousness, even plants, and possibly even solid matter like rocks, then things do exist because consciousness is omnipresent. But I think it's even more than that, in that objects really do exist, the world is not a solipsist scenario but rather it contains permanence due to real causes generated from the past and present (i.e. Karma), but in the grand scheme of things, objects do not have absolute permanence, and as Shankara stated, the universe is real, until one becomes fully enlightened, and then the universe becomes maya, and only Brahman (reality) exists. But objects still have a partial permanence, otherwise you could walk through walls. Or if consciousness was required for an object to be real, you could just close your eyes and think of something else other than the wall in front of you and walk through it.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

The true knowing is what you are when you are in deep sleep (the absolute), prior to the appearances appearing. That void (the absolute) is the true knowing but it has nothing to know. Consciousness is when the 'things' colors, patterns are appearing, but they can not appear without the absolute.

You are always the absolute, but what conscious level you are depends on your body's state of being. Deep sleep is still attached to the body, so it can not be absolute, since when the body dies, there is no more deep sleep, but eternal sleep, but how can death know anything? The Upanishads states that there are 4 types of consciousness, waking, dreaming, deep sleep, and the fourth which is transcendence. When you awaken in deep sleep, that is the true form of knowing. That type of consciousness, if it can be called consciousness, is the highest, not the physical consciousness. However the proper terminology is not consciousness but Soul or Knower, since the Knower simply knows without knowing, and there is no reason to be conscious of anything, not even itself. There exists no duality within that "consciousness" and so there is no subject/object duality, only knowing. At this point you can say it is knowing itself, but knowing is not different from known, neither is what it knows different from what it is.
edit on 24-9-2011 by filosophia because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

When you say you can be aware of your self as well as any other thing, are you thinking that you are a 'thing'?
Consciousness is not a 'thing'.
Consciousness can be aware of consciousness. A 'thing' can not be conscious.

Consciousness is the seeing, the tasting, the smelling.

The Self is neither being nor non-being. It is the center of being (Atman) by which the world of forms (samsara) rotate around it (the Brahma-wheel). The Self is the light in the mind.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

The true self or the absolute is both being and not being or as you say, neither. In consciousness it is being every 'thing' and in the deep sleep it is known as not being anything. It just is.
That absolute that you are in deep sleep is not only present in deep sleep, it is present always, as presence.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I find this quite fitting, and it does bring some pondering to the table.

There is No Riddle to Existence

"But the solution to the riddle of life and space and time lies outside space and time. For, as it should be abundantly clear by now, nothing inside a frame can state, or even ask, anything about that frame. The solution, then, is not the finding of an answer to the riddle of existence, but the realization that there is no riddle. This is the essence of the beautiful, almost Zen Buddhist closing sentences of the Tracticus:

For an answer which cannot be expressed the question too cannot be expressed. The riddle does not exist..."

Source

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
God gave mankind consciousness.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Simple answer and a simple truth to me.

From my angle...my perception I see this scripture as....

"Do not conform to this world...be aware within (consciousness) and it will transform (grow and or change) your mind/spirit. This way you are aware of the cause and effect as this test proves good cause = good effect and vise versa. This is how you approve or disapprove the "test" results.

Our awareness of self is enough energy to move. Without awareness we are void. Nothing. In all reality can "we" the "ALL" .....be both? Aware and Void?

What I just said is hopefully not so far out there I get laughed at.

This kind of conversation intrigues me and most definitely stimulates my brain.

Peace and love!!! xoxoxo

Jenn

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
Magic and science are not the same. Science works. Magic doesn’t. Big difference.

Before asking yourself where consciousness comes from, try proving that it even exists.

To do that, you will have to define what consciousness is.

Go on, then. Have a shot.

Are you suggesting the human being is a mere "thing" without the distinct qualia of personal experience?

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Maybe this will answer some of your questions. At least it makes of an interesting read on the topic and the most elegant depiction of the source of consciousness i have ever came across.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

Where do you believe our consciousness came from and what is the purpose of one?

I sometime wonder if anyone is really in search of where consciousness came from, or if they're in search of someone who will agree with where they think consciousness came from. If you want to find where consciousness fits into the existential whole - since it has to fit within the whole if it's going to be said to exist - then you have to allow the existential whole to have definition, which then requires that you take the effort to understand the true nature of that whole. It seems as if people want to present consciousness as if it is separate from what we all know to be real and tangible, and the truth is that it can't be separate and still be real.

As far as purpose, purpose itself is a human construct. Intent is the product of conscious thought, and regardless of the complexities that have been promoted as intractable, there is no such thing as a true chicken/egg existential conundrum; only ignorance of the true nature of whatever is being examined, along with the acceptance of such a belligerent dichotomy being placed as a buzz saw in the doorway to a fuller understanding.

If I met someone who was serious about this subject, I'd bury the person in brand new stuff to try on for size.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

this is exactly what points us to a creator. the bible speaks of eve eating the apple and saw she was naked,than having to make clothes for them selfs.before eating the apple she was clothed with light, after her rebellion she was given a Conscious mind.(feeling shy of her nakedness) ,no evolutionist can explain this,nor the existence of information.we believe in heaven is of higher dimensions and consciousness.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

exactly.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Consciousness. knowing right from wrong

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SOILDERSUNITEDFORCHRIST
no evolutionist can explain this,nor the existence of information.we believe in heaven is of higher dimensions and consciousness.

And you folks just point to God as if that's an explanation. It's not an explanation, but then, you aren't looking for an explanation. Your religion doesn't allow you to look farther than what your book has in it, and your book doesn't have any information about consciousness.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   

And you folks just point to God as if that's an explanation. It's not an explanation, but then, you aren't looking for an explanation. Your religion doesn't allow you to look farther than what your book has in it, and your book doesn't have any information about consciousness.
reply to post by NorEaster

I have looked well beyond the Big Book for a lot....including said subject of consciousness. A believer will connect the dots to a source and a non believer will not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join