It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Did Consciousness Come From?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I don't think consciousness came from anything. It has always existed, whether in a tangible or intangible state. If we could measure it, it might be a geometric expression of energy.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
Seconded. I was just about to say the same thing. Even animals have consciousness, but it's closer to group consciousness as opposed to the individual nature of people.

even animals have the concept of being alone in their nature...

what animals don't do is let their mind control every aspect of their lives, they rely on instinct to guide them more often than not.

something humans have failed to do for many millenia

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
What would we know of consciousness if we were blind and deaf?

consciousness has more than sight and sound to absorb.

a tree has neither eyes nor ears, but does it feel the rain drops giving it the water it needs for life? does it feel its death coming with the fires or chainsaw?

and before you say non aminals have no consciousness, tell that to the Venus Flytrap(it is aware on some level that food is at hand)

consciousness = awareness

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
The plants live and do not think; they have only organic life. Intelligence and matter are independent of one another; for a body may live without intelligence; but intelligence can only manifest itself by means of material organs. Animalized matter can only be rendered intelligent by its union with spirit."

Intelligence is a faculty which is proper to certain classes of organic beings, and which gives to these the power to think, the will to act, the consciousness of their existence and individuality, and the means of establishing relations with the external world and providing for the needs of their special mode of existence.
We may therefore distinguish: 1st, Inanimate beings, formed of matter alone, without life or intelligence the bodies of the mineral world; 2nd, Animated non-thinking beings, formed of matter and endowed with vitality, but without intelligence; 3rd, Animated and thinking beings, formed of matter, endowed with vitality, and possessed of an intelligent principle which gives them the faculty of thought.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

Biologists have long known that plants can remember -- they need to know whether they've gone through a cold season before they can germinate in the spring, for instance. It's not memory as we know it, but a prolonged change in plant internal systems that causes effects later.

"There are no neurons in plants, but there is a communication network that we don't fully understand," he said. "There are important implications for these kinds of studies."

www.popsci.com...

I equate consciousness to awareness, not to thinking

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Magic and science are not the same. Science works. Magic doesn’t. Big difference.

Before asking yourself where consciousness comes from, try proving that it even exists.

To do that, you will have to define what consciousness is.

Go on, then. Have a shot.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
The universe created it, its as natural as creating stars. A product made from a chain of events.
The purpose is the real question... why do we have it ?

All I can say is the general rule for the universe is to create copies fro some reason. Copies of stars, planets, animals, people... it needs things to self replicate, everything in the universe does this. So maybe we have a consciousness to learn to create more universes ? Its an endless cycle, but infinity only ceases to exist when you measure something so....

IF you speed this up a few trillion times, you have universes making universes....
Perhaps everything is a big joke, and the whole process is just a baby being born, cells splitting...Wouldn't that be odd ? This is all just one gigantic loop... then what do we look for ?
edit on 24-9-2011 by R3KR because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

It came from the big bang or what we call the big bang. It evolved with us.

We are One and that's why our consciousness affects everything in the Universe.
Other than that, I have no clue.

Deep question though. Thanks

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daedal
reply to post by JibbyJedi

What would we know of consciousness if we were blind and deaf?

Deaf and blind people have consciousness. If you had no language, then you may be 'aware', as are animals, but I believe consciousness is a synergetic phenomena:The whole is more than the sum of the individual parts, and language, a metaphysical construct is required. That is why, IMO, Adam and Eve were "naked and they knew it not". Until they acquired language, they were like the animals, not embarrassed at their nakedness.
If you practice turning off language, through meditation, you can regain this simpler state of mind, and I find animals respond differently when you are in this state, perhaps in the way that Adam and Eve did before they gained language and knowledge. That's my take on it anyway...

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
Consciousness means wakefulness. Are you conscious? No one who reads that can say no. You can not deny that you are!!! Are you conscious (aware) that you are conscious? There is an awareness of being aware.
You know that you are.
When you are in deep sleep are you aware that you are? There are no 'things' apparent in deep sleep, even your existence is not known in deep sleep.
Consciousness has to be conscious of some 'thing' to be aware that it is conscious. Before the 'things' appear, the space that allows them to appear has to be present.
Prior to consciousness is nothing.
Out of nothing came everything (consciousness).

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I believe consciousness is all around us... a little like we're fish and consciousness is water. Our brains and minds allow us to believe we're individuals even though we're actually part of that consciousness continuum.

An example I like is imagine consciousness is a blanket laid out on a floor. If you reach out twist part of that blanket up into a twist... it still remains part of the blanket, even though we now recognize it as something slightly different and unique.

(for the record this is similar to Advaita Vedanta, Tibetan Buddhism, and quantum electrodynamics/String Theory rolled into one
)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
The Wilcock video is a good source for secular (non-religious) data on the subject.

But if you believe that "things come from other things" then, you have to draw the line somewhere, because otherwise you just get circular reasoning. There are whole spiritual philosophies based on the idea that creation itself is circular (cyclic) but then you are still left with the problem of where the cycle came from.

The cycle is THE paradigm for persistence, which is how the perception of time comes about. In other words, the cycle (the circle) is a form with no beginning and no ending. So it is the perfect symbol, or action, for something that is perpetual.

My teacher ranks the persistence we see in the universe with phenomena like habits, addictions, obsessions, and other predictable (or programmable) reactions. In other words, he says that physicality persists by virtue of a decision, or an intention, or a command, similar to how these other phenomena persist.

If you go with this idea about time and persistence, which has proven workable in the field of increasing human ability, then for the theory to be complete there must be a creative force (or several). And they must be totally non-physical.

That leaves everything in the physical realm created by what could be called "consciousness" or "the awareness of being aware." And leaves "consciousness" either uncreated or "self-created." If you subscribe to this theory, consciousness, or what some of us call "spirit" operates by a different set of rules. Because it is responsible for creating all the "physical universe laws" we think of as rules. Thus it must operate above, or beyond, those rules.

Another way of saying it is that for perception to take place, that which is perceiving must be essentially different from what it is being perceived. Because all perception is created. Perception is the essence of creation. And therefore the one who perceives must be the one who creates, or of the same kind as those who create. So that makes you non-physical, and participant in creation, or the Source. Therefore, you cannot be "from something" because you are part of the source of everything.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by smithjustinb
Everything arises from consciousness.

Every atom is made up of mostly empty space.

There is more space in you than there is matter.

There is one consciousness that we all share. This uniform consciousness permeates all matter in the universe. It is one.

There is one space that we all share. This uniform space permeates all matter in the universe. It is one.

Is consciousness space?

No, it's the smile on your face.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
reply to post by DAZ21

We are One and that's why our consciousness affects everything in the Universe.

How embarassing for the human race!

And we thought it was bad that we were already beaming "I Love Lucy" out there at the speed of light!

I think I'm just starting to "grok" the humor of Buddhist non-thinking. And as a Christian mystic, it's even more amuzing.

It's like some sort of holographic projector, and our own consciousness is an intimate part of it, intrinsic to the whole thing the whole process, and we are also an evolutionary process (never a mere "thing"), but now suddenly, with the emergence of our own self conscious awareness (the qualia of being you or me), we've caught up with the first cause, and, as it's reflection, we suddenly realize, that the joke's on us!
On our own ignorance, and there's plenty of material there for millenia of comedy, surely. So it's not so bad then that everything has been so screwed up by comparison, since "for man, all happiness must arise exclusively only in relation to some unhappiness, already experienced!" ~ George Ivanovich Gurdjieff

"The more that suffering has carved into our being, the more joy we can contain!" Khalil Girban

edit on 24-9-2011 by NewAgeMan because: essential humor added for good measure.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   
In Buddhism, consciousness is dependent upon Karma formations, and it leads to name and form. Consciousness is an aggregate, in that it is a composite of subject/object duality. Consciousness is not the highest as it is not liberated from material aggregates, being an aggregate itself. Consciousness is 'conscious' or 'aware' of material sensation but can not reach the level of knowing the Self, i.e. consciousness can not know itself, since it is conscious of the material and not of the unconscious.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Consciousness can know itself. Are you aware that you are aware? That is consciousness being conscious that it is conscious.
This is what is not seen. Because it can not be seen, smelt, tasted or touched or described we totally miss it!!!
It is what they have all been pointing to.
See that you are conscious.
Know yourself as that.

edit on 24-9-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

Consciousness can know itself. Are you aware that you are aware? That is consciousness being conscious that it is conscious.

Consciousness is aware of sensory experiences but not of the True Self. The ultimate truth can only be known through self-realization and not physical consciousness. That type of true consciousness is not how people use consciousness in its everyday form but would rather be Gnosis, knowing. So you're right in that true consciousness knows itself, but that type of knowing only knows itself and not other things, since things are material and below the level of true reality.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
Magic and science are two sides of the same coin. Magic is just science of the unknown.

The question is, where did consciousness come from?

Was it a magical act of God, a miracle, that brought it about? Or was it a gift given through an advanced technology, not of our own?

Either way i refuse to believe that evolution gave us consciousness. Do animals have one? Do they need it to survive? If not then why, what is the purpose of ours?

Where do you believe our consciousness came from and what is the purpose of one?

there could be somewhat moderate potiential that consciousness comes from our brain and no where else.
without a brain, how could you even understand what consciousness is. dont you have to experience being alive to understand what consciousness really is? i donnooooo
i don't even know if consicousness has anything to do with us humans making our own limited choices within our environment. cosnciousness is just being aware.
edit on 24-9-2011 by saabacura because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Species that can quickly adapt to changing conditions are evolutionary successfull. What we call consciousness is a highly refined, complex and efficient decision-making system that evolved from primitive nervous systems over millions of years, and serves the purpose of adaptation to changing environment exceptionally well. There is a continuous gradation from unconsciousness to consciousness. Many higher animals are conscious similarly to human children.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Consciousness and sensory experience are not two things, they happen as one. Consciousness is not aware of 'things', it is the appearance of 'things' or knowing, experiencing. 'Things' can not appear without it.
The true self is not a 'thing'. It is nothing.
When the self is looked for and no thing (nothing) is found then that is the realization of self.
It can not be seen, smelt, tasted or touched.
When it is known all 'things' (matter, material) are seen as illusionary.
edit on 24-9-2011 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join