It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Eating

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
In the interest of getting the info out, I've been sharing my stories. The latest one is another one of those I think gets overlooked, and that's what is and isn't supposed to be eaten in a survival situation.

In a survival situation, it's not enough to be able to acquire a steady food source. If you only cook and eat the choice cuts of meat, you're throwing away key nutrients that could mean all the difference. For most of us the idea of eating some things is unpleasant, but in certain parts of the world these bits are considered a delicacy. Not because they taste good. In fact, if your palate isn't accustomed to them a lot of these things are hard to choke down. They're delicacies because at some point in the history of mankind they offered a nutritional advantage only afforded to those higher up on the social tier.

Survival Eating

Many people haven't given this much thought and would simply throw away a bulk of the items that hold most of the nutritional value. While this may seem like common sense to some, it warrants a mention.

For those of us who have eaten kidney before, there will always be the inevitable bad experience from older animals but those are generally flukes. The majority of the time they're really good!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think extreme hunger would stop you from being so squeemish (not sure of spelling), but i could never eat a street pidgeon and whoever was lucky enough to be in my gang would enjoy many a rabbit head,horse penis or even the odd human foot if the poo really hit the spinny thingy.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Pigeon at one point has been a delicacy in every modern civilization! Still is in some parts. And I agree, hungry enough and people will eat anything. If you're to that point though, you're already in trouble. It's early on that the gag reflex needs to be overcome and cooking the bones even if you're just making a broth to drink is paramount. Every advantage counts!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PayMeh

Yeah i know pidgeons are probably very nice but i have a bit of an ocd disgust of the things and would probably feel more comfortable eating maggots from a rotting human corpse (would have to boil them first), but i love fishing and have no problem eating insects or most birds so i might just be ok, hopefully.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
this one is going to be hard as hell for me

seriously dont like to eat that kind of stuff.

and the closest i ever came to was eating kfcs gizzards those are good.

one of the things im working very hard on i have too selective eating habits

and in a survival situation that is going to get me killed.

adapt improvise and overcome.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I've been there too. That's why I suggested eating that stuff first.. because most will puke, but if you CAN keep it all down past the gag reflex, you're so much better off and can then eat the "regular" stuff. lol

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

A street Pigeon is called a rock tumbler... their native habitat used to be cliff faces... moving into cities and their high rises is just a logical step...

however.... I don't care how hungry I would strongly urge you to walk away from that meal...and not for the reasons you might think...

truth is a lot of building managers put out poisons to control their pigeon problems... even if the bird doesn't look sick there's still a chance they have some of those toxins built up in their systems... eating a city pigeon is just begging to make yourself sick....

new topics

top topics

join