It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would You Have a Beer with ColoradoJens?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I see though that the Broncos are taking on Tenn. this weekend....
Remember the Titans, that's all I'm gonna say.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Great post - you had me laughing all the way through because I am with you on all of it - ps...mention anykind of sports watching and the freaks are going to come after you here - personally, I think you will understand it when I say in full confidence, "Go Broncos! I hope our sucky team upsets you!"...

Your last example is also true in my world. There are places and people that you should recognize may not accomodate a "F the Army!" argument.

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

The old "rule" of social discussion: Never speak of religion or politics.

The reason is obvious.

European-born friends say that they marvel at how those things are discussed among friends in America-- one of the difficult things to get used to over here.

I'm not sure the American toleration of different ideologies is surviving. Increasingly, a difference in ideology has become a black and white issue of good verses evil.

Even if you disagree, I'll have that beer with you-- but call me "evil," and it might get ugly.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
So,

curious. Are you the kind of person who associates with only those who agree with you, or do you enjoy the company of those who may disagree on major issues (political, societal etc)?

I rarely get into political and religious conversations with my friends and others because yes, we disagree on major issues! I can be very vocal about things I believe strongly in and that can lead to some rather heated discussions
Better to leave it be
I don't associate with people based on their political or religious leanings.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

depends....if the debate started with a friend...i'm sure we would both still be friends at the end. If the argument started with an idiot whom i did not know prior....hard to say

I've worked in a bar the last ten years....so when i say "idiot" i am speaking in professional terms.

i do miss the good beer in colorado.........phantom canyon used to be great...(don't know now)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am in the Pueblo area, I will buy ya a beer

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

It is true isn't it? The moment either is mentioned it is like eyes get narrowed and the stares start...I'd also add in sports but that is more for us narrow minded folks...

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet
I am in the Pueblo area, I will buy ya a beer

I'll take you up on it next time I am down your way - call if you are coming up here.

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
All the more better IMO. It gives you a chance to see things in another light and may introduce you into some things that you had never thought of. Debating is even funner when beer is involved... []3'\(o.0)/`

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens
So,

curious. Are you the kind of person who associates with only those who agree with you, or do you enjoy the company of those who may disagree on major issues (political, societal etc)?

Can you have a heated discussion, passionate and all fired up, and still grab a cold one out of the fridge and hand it to the person you are arguing with?

How about after the talk; can you go get a bite and a cocktail and maintain friendship?

Just curious.

CJ

I'm fine hanging out with those I disagree with, depending on how they handle the disagreement. I'm very lucky as far as being able to be friendly with people I think are entirely wrong and thick-headed, even if I might get eventually frustrated, and can avoid becoming hateful (used to do this with my atheist/semi-'liberal' friend Chris all the time).

When they other person breaks down into personal insults, uncalled for invectives, and other unpleasantness though, it's best to refrain from association until I can get over being disgusted with them about it and they can get over the need to act in such a manner and simply deal with the matter at hand.

I can't recall enough of your posts to see where your views fall, Jens, but you want to get a beer sometime?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

Yes, spot on - you have to be able to work with some guidelines or it is just a shouting match. I have been told I have a very loud voice when I get rolling - makes for a loud argument is about all...

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I have often commented that my friends and I rarely agree on anything. We are always having a lively discussion over large quantities of Brew-Ha's. Never came to blows yet.

One thing however, if some one messes with one of us, they are messing with all of us. We got each others back.

I warn you though, my taste is Wiezen Bier, which can get expensive. Oh and I am also a jackass....but a happy one.

The bar I go to is filled with lifelong Democratic Union guys (Not really liberals). Being of a more conservative mindset, I always gravitate into the conversations. Ain’t been beat up yet and usually they’ll buy me a few rounds and always refuse when I offer.

Maybe because I listen to them and never get into offensive name calling either. But there have been plenty of times where I go in to buy Wings to go and end up closing the bar.

edit on 23-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Yes, working in a bar guarentees many an amazing insight coming your way - that, you are correct, is not a discussion I want to have...perhaps I should have worded the OP better - I wonder how many people here on ATS I that don't like my posts would still want a brew?
This is what a discussion with the guy at the bar is like -

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Nice TDawgRex, I had a feeling you wouldn't be put up with mixing with good folk even if you each voted for the other guy. Appreciate it and I like the beer. I had my first ever near-beer (some Guiness product) this past weekend - wasn't bad...dead silence.

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I would have a whiskey and diet pepsi with most of
the members here.I will go ballistic if someone brings
a camera,I don't like having my picture taken.
edit on 23-9-2011 by mamabeth because: changed

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth

I would have a whiskey and diet pepsi with most of
the members here.I will go ballistic if someone brings
a camera,I don't like having my picture taken.
edit on 23-9-2011 by mamabeth because: changed

Sorry but i refuse to associate with anyone who would ruin good whisky with a carbonated beverage!!

Oh, and smiiiiiiiiile...........*click*.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by buskey

How else am I suppose to drink my whiskey,straight up on the rocks?
I have always drank this way,vodka with juice,whiskey and brandy with
pepsi.Am I guilty of some drinking crime or drinking etiquette?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Sounds like the basis for a good argument - I'm on your side on this on mamabeth - I'd say keep the scotch clean, but that's me! Thanks for checking in!

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by buskey

Can you imagine a room full of ATS'ers going at it? Live forum? What say you ATS?

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by whos2know

Absolutely! It's great to debate difference of opinions..as long as both parties can keep it real...so, yeah, I can debate for hours and still let you hang with out me.

Thanks whos2know! I agree - go for it but no name calling or saying things like "How many damn times do I have to scream the same point over and over at you?"...as long as you can walk away before it gets too bad - sometimes not saying anything at all is the best course of action.

CJ

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join