It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Should Aliens Be Humanoid In Appearance?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
When someone mentions the word alien to you, you automatically imagine a grey being, standing on two feet arms by Its side, with big black eyes, grey skin, thin and short in stature. No? Then maybe you imagine a scary reptile skinned man?

Why do we always have to create aliens in our own image? as if we are the perfect beings that are evolutionary complete in every way.

Why do we see aliens like this? What if aliens came from a small planet, or a planet with immense gravity? Would they not be small like the size of our thumbs? Or a planet with low gravity, they could be giants and we could be like ants if they were to be stood next to us.

When we think of the greys they are called so because they are grey. I'm white you could be black why can't aliens have different races between them, or even different languages?

Really we can't possibly speculate about what aliens look like, they may have many limbs, several brains, and who said they even have eyes? If aliens have races like humans, who's to say we could even distinguish one race from a completely different alien race?

What do you think aliens could look like? I believe our imagination may not even be able to do them justice.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

I think other intelligent beings come from in all shapes and sizes. However due to our own scientific understanding of evolution and chemistry, it is reasonable to postulate that other beings may look very similar to us.

That does not mean that there are not other beings which have significantly different physiology. I theories that there are probably completely bio-mechanical species, probably reptilian like species too, maybe even species made out of non organic matter.

As for languages, of course there are different ones, and ethnicitys, and religions.

But until we meet one we will never really now will we? But I have always thought that the imagination shows us more than we realize.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
We do not create aliens, they have existed long before we have.

Not all aliens are humanoid in appearance.

Greys and Reptilians are not the only types of aliens.

Anyway we dont need to create something in our mind that already exsit

edit on 23-9-2011 by brokedown because: spelling correction

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Because there are several earthlike planets out there with a similar environment as us....

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Why do we always have to create aliens in our own image? as if we are the perfect beings that are evolutionary complete in every way.

Actually, they could 'look' like most anything but if you are a believer in evolution, then you must understand that we humans arrived at this point in time and in this physical form after a long process of survival and improvements. Our imperfections are entirely nonphysical... and are basically character flaws that tend to lead us to do stupid things.

So, we are what could be termed a successful evolutionary model and so there is no reason that another world... featuring roughly the same physical environment of the Earth, would not run through a similar, if not identical process and arrive at a similar, if not identical species.

This isn't to say it would have to... but it does suggest strongly that there is no reason why it wouldn't.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I think you have it other way around... They created us in their image... and IMO it was because this was the most stable experiment. It could also explain why they got pissed and wanted to keep killing off the humans until they got the outcome they wanted.

Regardless if you believe in God or religion in general fact is who, or whatever came down here was ALIEN. Now if you believe the Sumerian texts they were the true creators of man and we were made in their image. I personally feel they feel obligated to do so to populate the universe. Now that's a cool job I'd like to have. What could bring more joy to your soul then bringing the existence of life across the stars?

Just like he said above me...
edit on 23-9-2011 by SmArTbEaTz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21
What do you think aliens could look like? I believe our imagination may not even be able to do them justice.

I think you're right. Carl Sagan had a really interesting take on this, he offered that it was quite likely that alien life forms would be so unrecognizable to us that we may not even know we're looking at life forms. He described some really wild possibilities for life forms, such as giant floating bags of gas, or jelly-fish looking creatures hovering in an atmosphere above a planet. If alien life forms really do look like us then that would be quite shocking frankly. And when you consider the wide array of life on earth and how out of all of those there's only one life form with advanced intelligence, it seems that most ET life we might discover out there would in fact not be intelligent. Still, wouldn't a planet of cute puppy- and kitten- like creatures be a hoot

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

I personally feel this should not have very much significance in what they look like. Yes we need water, sunlight and oxygen but that is just us. There could be others who look like us but have different needs for survival. That being said there could also be some that look nothing like us but require the same necessities. It's really up to anyone's imagination because none have been declassified as of yet.

That actually made me think of something... If you were responsible for trillions of people would you want to know the most about a new race before you just let them walk among your people? Sure you would. Maybe that is what the Gov has been doing for the past century? Get to know who is being genuine and who isn't. Once that has been settled maybe then we will know what aliens look like for real.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Dear brethren!

"Aliens" are not in humanoid appearance. What we witness as "aliens" are the evil groups on this "planet" trying to deceive us with their sacred technology and using holographic images to make us believe that those creatures are evil and are out to hurt us... the true Aliens, our brothers and sisters, will never harm us. They want our Zertix Matter to activate so we can be One with them at the Opening.

As such, in my home in order to protect my children from such nefarious acts I have placed several reflectors around my house in order to repel the holographic images that are trying to deceive me. Open the Third Eye! Reach the Gateway to the World Beyond! Do not be deceived!

Cheers,
Destiny Fulfilled.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmArTbEaTz
I think you have it other way around... They created us in their image... and IMO it was because this was the most stable experiment. It could also explain why they got pissed and wanted to keep killing off the humans until they got the outcome they wanted.

edit on 23-9-2011 by SmArTbEaTz because: (no reason given)

Exactly what I was going to say. They created US in their image. Yeah the greys may come from an earthlike planet which has a bit higher gravity than ours.. this could be why they are always seen as smaller and child like.

But also may come in many forms. For example... I forget the name of those UFOs which many people have seen that change form? Ebnis.. ebnes? I forget, but that they look like big blobs of mercury or jellyfish in the sky.. always changing form. If thats the case they would have to be some liquid form unless those are unmanned UFOs weve seen

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
My guess is that the majority of highly intelligent biological life in the Universe is humanoid. Based on the fact that you need arms and hands to operate machines, and a big enough vertical two legged body to hunt and chase down animals for food to support and maintain the brain; that has to be big enough for the creation of high intelligence.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 23-9-2011 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Evolution Model H-1 *Human Being*
Type: Bipedal
Notes: Humanoid-type lifeforms have evolved separately and independently in several locations across the Milky Way galaxy and may also be found in other galaxies not yet explored.

Head:
Contains Central Processing Unit (brain). Location proximity are as follows:
Eyes - sight
Nose - Olfactory, scent detection, oxygen intake.
Ears - Sound, incoming communication
Mouth - Secondary O2 intake, speech (communication), matter-to-energy intake (food),

Trunk:
Contains vital organs. Upper portion protected by rib-cage. Lower portion surrounded by muscular field. Lumbar/vertebrae back structure allows bending, lifting, rotations.
Heart - Blood (O2) circulation.
Lungs - Oxygen intake/conversion
Stomach - Matter-to-energy storage
Intestines - Matter-to-energy conversion & waste disposal.
Liver - O2/blood filtration system.
Kidneys - Fluid filtration system

Extremities:
Locomotion, manipulation.
Arms - Multi-hinged manipulatory appendages w/muti-digital hands for fine article manipulation.
Legs - Balanced locomotion, climbing, leverage.

Conclusion:
Human physical types do well because they are self propelled, bipedal and multi-tasking compliant creatures with plenty of room for upgrades.
Critical input sensors; eyes, nose, ears, mouth all located near central processor (brain).
(**Visual acuity enhanced by upper location; as in eyes are not down on knees or in crotch.)
Bipedal locomotion leaves more processor space for advanced arm/hand usage for things other than quadrapedal gallops.
Lack of tentacles and other appendages leaves more processing space for advanced activities such as science, philosophy and other abstract concepts otherwise not available to species loaded down with nonessential gear.

Recommendations:
While almost hopelessly stupid at times, this species is physically quite adept and survivable. Recommend full programming change to something less inclined to nagging, bickering, backbiting, trolling, flaming, arguing and other self predatory behaviors.

End of review.

edit on 23-9-2011 by redoubt because: typos

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

Hahaa classic! You forgot the part about why they only gave us access to 20% of our brain though. Maybe that was put in reserve for Human version 2.0? Also dont forget the ADD 99% of us have

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Because our imagination is not unlimited?
Humanoid life forms even here on Earth are tiny minority. On planet with different conditions - which is majority of rocks out there - life forms variety and "design" would differ from our greatly.
So it is logically to assume that if intelligent life exists out there (and it probably does) and if it would visit our little home (personally doubt it very much unless it is not that intelligent and cannot understand what makes cow tick even after performing numerous operations) it will most probable NOT look like us.
But we tend to humanize and personify things, so no wonder that all kinds of monsters/boogeyman/mythical creatures ad other creations of our imagination do look humanoid.
You can add aliens in this pile. In my opinion.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

If we're talking about 'aliens' potentially visiting us...there's a lot to be said for the possibilities that they would be humanoid in appearance.

To be clear, I mean humanoid as in upright with two legs, two arms, two eyes and a head on top.

If they have technology, they need to have evolved on worlds with an atmosphere suitable for using fire. This pre-supposes a world with a similar atmosphere that would include biodiversity. We're talking organisms, plant life, weather systems and the evolution of beings capable of basic tool-use to utilise fires.

Without the control of fire, the use of metals would be impossible and without metals, they wouldn't be in a position to be exploring beyond their worlds. Starting fires would need bodies able to grasp objects and manipulate them. Jacques Vallee has asked why aliens aren't like the octopus...how many of them can light a fire under water? Probably none.

By back-tracking through the stages of technological development that led to aircraft, it's possible to narrow down the possibilities of what form a technological alien would take.

As a thought-experiment...try and imagine any life-form on Earth having the same intelligence as us. If you can do that...try and imagine how any of them could then have the ability to strike one stone off another and create a spark that lights the tinder.

This should make you smile and think 'Damn!' How many of them don't have two legs, two arms, two eyes and a head on top?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm just musing here, but if the universe is indeed electric, and "reality" -- as we know it -- holographic, there are probably several basic templates for bipedal life forms, and one or more of them may be humanoid.

Now -- if reality is an artifact, and we are indeed living inside an advanced simulation of 4 dimensional time and space, this would be even more true. Symmetrical bipedal physiology, hands and fingers for manipulating tools, and senses designed to reinforce social pair-bonding might tend to produce individual "players" who would seek a balance between group sharing (data-mining) and individual curiosity (novelty).

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
On the otherhand... Non-biological highly intelligent "life" [so to speak,] could look quite different from Earth type humanoids. A highly intelligent biological race may want to strive towards immortality, by putting there souls into another dimension with no body at all. Or... they might have the inclination to transfer there thought processes and souls into a robot of any desired shape, and size that they would want.

But for the sake of sanity, I believe that they would choose the shape and appearance of there former biological selves.
edit on 23-9-2011 by Erno86 because: spelling

edit on 23-9-2011 by Erno86 because: added a word

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DAZ21

Because evolution is ruthlessly efficient. I think that any animal smart enough to use language and technology will be bipedal, live mostly on dry land, and will stand upright. I could be wrong, but none of the alternatives look very likely to me.

I doubt would that any traveler from the stars (setting aside whether there are any such) would be a purely biological being. Most likely some sort of creature that as merged with its technology, keeping the useful biological bits but augmenting most functions with technology as far above what we have now as the microchip is above the Achulean hand axe.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Why do we see aliens like this?

Your posed question and your supplied answer of not taking the typical humanoid alien seriously has a major flaw tht appears time after time in this type of argument against UFOs in general.

As typical, the entire mountain of data that suggests otherwise is ignored for some, shall we say, "rational" view that is not logical in itself. The evidence is clear, UFOs are untypical in appearance such as to make them appear alien to our eyes even if we lack knowledge of the principles of aerodynamic engineering. The same for sightings of "Little Green Men." You don't hear much about it these days, but the LGM concept was originated by a magazine cartoonist for the New Yorker magazine decades ago. His inspiration was countless accounts in those times of small, bipedal creatures seen around landed flying saucers. That is the simple answer for this widespread belief. Then later, the abduction cases happened--or started getting attention--and that description became the standard. Only if you pitch all of that info and data into the trash can you propose with any credibility that they aren't humanoid and it is just our wishfull thinking that makes it so. Besides, lobster-clawed balls of slime, etc., are not likely to evolve into technologically equipped entities.

That said, there are many stories of creatures quite a bit less humanoid than the LGM. What must be accepted is that there is not one race of creatures that visit us but many, and some will be quite a bit more alien than others. Wings, for example would not be out of the question.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
For the sake of argument, let's just say aliens do exist in the forms that get reported by people who claim to have seen them. A few possible reasons why they almost all seem to be of a humanoid shape, whether reptilian, gray, Nordic-type, etc.:

1. Our evolution on Earth has been guided for a long (perhaps extremely long) time so that we have taken forms deemed best by whatever beings are controlling this process. David Brin's great science fiction series called the "Uplift"novels ("Sundiver," "Startide Rising" and "The Uplift War") posits a huge galactic civilization (actually multi-galactic, spanning five galaxies) where a process like this called "uplift" is a major part of the structure of their society. Advanced alien species who come across another species likely to make good candidates for "uplift" into sentience have to petition to get the right to uplift these beings and then set about what is usually a millennia-long process to genetically engineer and breed them into a new intelligent race. These uplifted species are, by law, subservient to the patron species who uplifted them for a time (usually thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of years) before they are freed from their servitude and can themselves become patrons of other species. Patron species tend to favor client species that are similar to them, so often their clients look a fair bit like them. In the series, humans are considered something of an anomaly because it seems that we somehow managed to uplift ourselves into sentience, something that has almost never happened in the whole multi-billion year history of the five galaxies. Some aliens believe that we were partially uplifted into sentience secretly and illegally by some patron who then abandoned us before the job was done and we evolved the last little bit naturally. It's a fun series of books and offers some interesting ideas of how this sort of thing could happen.

2. The aliens we see are not the true forms of these beings. Some have suggested that Grays might really be artificial beings, if so perhaps they were designed specifically to interact with us and thus look more like us so as not to utterly terrify us. Perhaps the real beings who control them look very different, maybe they look like giant, disgusting slugs or something.

3. Why Nordic types? My own theory, assuming they even exist, of course, is that another alien species came down to Earth a long time ago (many thousands if not tens of thousands of years ago), probably happened to land in the region were Nordic humans lived, abducted some of them and then bred a colony of humans elsewhere. These would be humans, descended from humans on Earth, but who grew up on another world, somewhere and who were tutored by aliens. Due to alien genetic manipulation and breeding they are probably now generally larger, stronger and smarter than the average human on Earth, which is how they are often described in sightings.

4. The humanoid form is just very good for making sentient, civilization-building species. We see in nature in our own world how different species can fill the same ecological niches in different regions and tend to develop the same features. A humanoid reptilian dinosaur descendant was probably a very likely outcome, but there just never were the proper environmental pressures to create one. They might have had a different limb arrangement, more theropod-like legs, maybe, but still two arms with dextrous hands, two legs, a big brained head on top, etc., but essentially they could have evolved that way. Being bipedal is a very good design for intelligence, and civilization building. It frees up the hands for making things, is a less energy consuming way of getting around than four or six legs, thus freeing up the body energy output to be devoted to an expanding, more intelligent brain. So, it seems our design is a happy accident that can help lead to big-brainedness and that same design could well be repeated on other worlds. It may well be the most efficient design nature can produce that leads to sentience, but we'll never know that unless and until we start meeting other beings who look, more or less, like us.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join