It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pitcher plant inspires ultimate non-stick surface

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Here is an interesting little invention
Scientists have developed the ultimate non-stick surface. Applications include graffiti-repelling walls and self-cleaning windows.

By mimicking the leaves of a carnivorous tropical plant, US scientists have developed a surface so slippery that everything slides off: water, oil, blood, ice, jam and even ants. This kind of 'omniphobic' surface could be used to produce graffiti-repelling walls, self-cleaning windows and pipes that transport fluids easily and quickly. Up to now, scientists developing highly slippery surfaces have mainly taken inspiration from the leaves of the lotus flower. The surface of these leaves are covered in microscopic ridges, coated in a water-repellent waxy substance, which traps a layer of air between the ridges. As a consequence, water falling onto the leaf doesn't spread out, but rather forms individual droplets that simply roll off.

Source:www.rsc.org...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I love my Pitcher plant....

Sorry thought Id get that out! this is neat though.. make Fed ex and luggage loading so much easier

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

never gets dirty....completely water repellent....and honey repellent!!

the water acts like mercury

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I need to have a suit coated with this stuff to keep all the hot women off me. Can't go anywhere without getting accosted.

Ha, I wish.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Nature sure gives us a lot of good ideas.
www.google.com...
Been done already.
Hardy think with today's economy any great idea from today or
yesteryear will be developed and marketed.

top topics

join