It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The GOP Debates - Boo Service Men in Iraq, Cheer the Death Penatly and Boo those to poor for Health

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Lol, no it can't (a great song, props to Jane). And yet it seems like it does, especially when it comes to politics. Everybody always has beef with something. I say abolish the whole system so these kinds of debates are no longer necessary.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

edit on 23-9-2011 by neo96 because: nevermind

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by WoundedByHonesty

Perhaps we're getting closer...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by dakota1s2
What the soldier was booed for was not because he is in the military. It's because he makes an issue of being a gay military member who makes his sexual orientation an issue. As one of the candidates said last nite, going forward he would repeal "don't ask-don't tell" because the majority of the military don't want gays in the military.

Well the majority of People in the military need to get a grip.
Who cares whether there are gays in the military? What difference does it make...

Why not ban women too?

Only allow Straight men...

don't agree with the lifestyle, don't have bad feelings for those who live that lifestyle, but don't try to make me agree with 1 or 2% of what the population does.in their own lives. I don't have to agree or "tolerate" such.

It's actually more like 10% and I would imagine there are a lot of people who think your opinions and attitude towards certain sections of society are BS.... and maybe they don't "agree" with or "tolerate" such crap...

Works both ways, bud.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

reply to post by ColoradoJens

Obviously you are a domocrat. Probably have never been in the military.

What the soldier was booed for was not because he is in the military. It's because he makes an issue of being a gay military member who makes his sexual orientation an issue. As one of the candidates said last nite, going forward he would repeal "don't ask-don't tell" because the majority of the military don't want gays in the military.

The majority of the country feels the same way. Why does the agenda have to be so "in my face". I don't agree with the lifestyle, don't have bad feelings for those who live that lifestyle, but don't try to make me agree with 1 or 2% of what the population does.in their own lives. I don't have to agree or "tolerate" such.

Yes, I'm in agreement with you about making it such a huge issue that is distracts from the service. It was the way he worded it that people probably booed, as I was also taken aback at the setup. He asked how the Republicans intended to "Circumvent" gays in the military. Give me a break! That was such a loaded leading question.
edit on 23-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Bigoted is a word liberals use that denotes any other opinion(person) that is not like their opinion.

I am not bigoted. I am tolerant of all, but doesn't mean I accept all. I do accept anyone who wants to live the lifestyle. I will not accept the lifestyle. And don't want it shoved down my throat. Call me names, doesn't matter. Doesn't make you right either. The real issue here is that you hate me for my beliefs even though I don't hate you for yours. Your way or the highway, right?

Most intolerant and bigoted of all. A SELF-RIGHTEOUS liberal!!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
this is a 'divide and conquer' subject meant to be touchy.

i say line up all the canidates and ask them all one question. That question would be this: "In detail, please describe what steps you would take to fix our country and restore America? "

Then we vote. Leave fox news and google puppets out of it.

"Ending the federal reserve" would be the acceptable answer to the question.

'healthcare reform' 'the budget' 'social security' 'wars' 'interest rates' 'bailouts' 'lobbyists' all require the conspiracy of the privately owned federal reserve to operate.

fun fact: us quarters 1964 and older are worth $7.00 in silver. theres .50 cents worth of silver in your $200 smartphone. 1965-2011 quarters are worth much less than .25 cents

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Toward certain sections of society?? Really? Only one section that we seem to be talking about. I am conservative in my beliefs and certainly respect others who hold different beliefs and ideas. Why must I agree with you?? Or is it that I have to "keep quiet" if I don't hold your beliefs? Can't even express my opinion without being called a bigot. Just has to get to bigot or racist and I am neither.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Bigoted is a word liberals use that denotes any other opinion(person) that is not like their opinion.

I am not bigoted. I am tolerant of all, but doesn't mean I accept all. I do accept anyone who wants to live the lifestyle. I will not accept the lifestyle. And don't want it shoved down my throat. Call me names, doesn't matter. Doesn't make you right either. The real issue here is that you hate me for my beliefs even though I don't hate you for yours. Your way or the highway, right?

Most intolerant and bigoted of all. A SELF-RIGHTEOUS liberal!!

Funny. You have it YOUR way...seems to me like you are SHOVING it in OTHER's faces. You also know a lot about people - you aren't god are you?
CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

reply to post by blupblup

Toward certain sections of society?? Really? Only one section that we seem to be talking about. I am conservative in my beliefs and certainly respect others who hold different beliefs and ideas. Why must I agree with you?? Or is it that I have to "keep quiet" if I don't hold your beliefs? Can't even express my opinion without being called a bigot. Just has to get to bigot or racist and I am neither.

I see you didn't answer my point about what difference it makes to be gay?

I'm interested to know why it makes a difference.

I don't say you have to agree with me and don't say you are a bigot... I didn't mention either.

There should be equality in any profession/job..... you're entitled to hold onto your outdated, ridiculous ideas and opinions all you like, but they should not be allowed to permeate into the real world.

edit on 23/9/11 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

So in response to the OP, your answer is "YES".

Thank you.

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

So in response to the OP, your answer is "YES".

Thank you.

CJ

No, my answer is exactly as I posted it.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Never once in your response did you say any of these things were wrong - you only made excuses as to why or how it happned.

Stand up and say, yes this is my party and I support them, or say, You know, that was wrong and someone should say something about it - if ANY of the candidates said it right then, there would have been applause. Because not one candidate even blinked at the boos, their silence was in agreement.

CJ

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

No you are right - you can be as bigoted and intolerant as you want to be - you already showed that.

I don't honestly consider not wanting gays in the military to flaunt their sexuality as being "bigoted".

Personally I don't want to hear about anyone's sexual preferences, and for gays to feel the need to publicly stand on a soapbox and scream to the platoon the sexual preference seems a tad bit stupid. The majority of the time soldiers know who's gay, who's not.. I fail to see the need to be "gay and proud" in the military. IMO, it will put troops at risk, lower camaraderie, lead to violence in some cases (I for one wouldn't want to share a shower or anything with a homosexual) and basically lead to nothing good. Except gays will be able to add "hey I'm gay" into the conversation.

I support gay marriage, allowing gays to share benefits, legal rights, etc etc etc. Not in the military though.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

Never once in your response did you say any of these things were wrong - you only made excuses as to why or how it happned.

Stand up and say, yes this is my party and I support them, or say, You know, that was wrong and someone should say something about it - if ANY of the candidates said it right then, there would have been applause. Because not one candidate even blinked at the boos, their silence was in agreement.

CJ

Why are you insisting on telling me what I must say or stand up for? Where is your championing of my freedom of speech? I told you my personal reaction to a military guy asking a leading question of the Republican candidates. If you knew anything about gathering statistics in the most scientific way, you would know that questons like that are leading and throw off the results.

On scientific surveys

LEADING QUESTIONS AND STUDENT EVALUATIONS
AUDREY D. CAUDLE
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
Missouri Western State University
A leading question is simply one that, either by its form or content, suggests to the subject what answer is desired or leads him/her to the desired answer (Loftus & Palmer, 1974). It has been demonstrated with guessing measurements, past personal experience, and recently witnessed events. An example of guessing measurements would be if you showed a person a picture of a basketball player and then asked, "How tall was the basketball player?" or "How short was the basketball player?" When asking how short someone is, that is presupposing that they are short. A presupposition is a condition that must hold in order for the question to be contextually appropriate. On average subjects guess about 79" on the tall question and 69" on the short question (Loftus, 1975).

clearinghouse.missouriwestern.edu...

When developing your survey questionnaire, you want to make certain that you are asking the questions in a neutral way, ie that you are not leading them toward a particular answer. This may seem simple, but when you are writing questions you will often find that the way you phrase the question may reflect your underlying opinion.

www.sciencebuddies.org...

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

No you are right - you can be as bigoted and intolerant as you want to be - you already showed that.

I don't honestly consider not wanting gays in the military to flaunt their sexuality as being "bigoted".

Personally I don't want to hear about anyone's sexual preferences, and for gays to feel the need to publicly stand on a soapbox and scream to the platoon the sexual preference seems a tad bit stupid. The majority of the time soldiers know who's gay, who's not.. I fail to see the need to be "gay and proud" in the military. IMO, it will put troops at risk, lower camaraderie, lead to violence in some cases (I for one wouldn't want to share a shower or anything with a homosexual) and basically lead to nothing good. Except gays will be able to add "hey I'm gay" into the conversation.

I support gay marriage, allowing gays to share benefits, legal rights, etc etc etc. Not in the military though.

bigoted - blindly and obstinately attached to some creed or opinion and intolerant toward others; "a bigoted person"; "an outrageously bigoted point of view"

Not tolerant, especially:a. Unwilling to tolerate differences in opinions, practices, or beliefs, especially religious beliefs.
b. Opposed to the inclusion or participation of those different from oneself, especially those of a different racial, ethnic, or social background.
c. Unable or unwilling to endure or support:

dictionary

Source for the screaming on soapboxes to the platoons please or anything that may resemble that argument?
Why wouldn't you shower with a gay guy?
If the maj of the time they know who is gay and who isn't, why not repeal dont ask dont tell?
And if someone adds, "Hey, I'm gay" into your conversation, so what?

CJ
edit on 23-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Originally posted by Rockpuck

I don't honestly consider not wanting gays in the military to flaunt their sexuality as being "bigoted". Personally I don't want to hear about anyone's sexual preferences, and for gays to feel the need to publicly stand on a soapbox and scream to the platoon the sexual preference seems a tad bit stupid.

Really? Is that happening? Do you really think it's going to happen - and become a major problem? Or are you just projecting some inner fears? What a load of crap...

If you support gay rights in one portion of society - you have to support it an all sections of society or else you are by definition "bigoted".
edit on 23-9-2011 by userid1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join