It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Anatomy of Proof

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The Anatomy of Proof

Recently, there have been many threads started with the title, “Proof of FILL IN THE BLANK ”.

Proof implies that a piece of evidence has been discovered, or presented itself – so as that the topic or item being discussed cannot be proven wrong. It also implies that there is no other explanation other than that which is being presented.

The word “proof” in a title of a thread is often misleading, and gives the reader a false since of what to expect when choosing to read a topic.

Over the past week I have been duped many times into clicking on a thread, expecting to discover something amazing or significant – only to be let down when I discover that the writer of said thread has used the term only to pull people into their topic.

Please realize how annoying this is, and use better judgment in the future when starting your posts. This will ensure that the quality of information that flows on ATS will be of a higher caliber, and contain less redundant information; which has more than likely been discussed before.

For those of you who do not know what proof actually means, I have provided the Webster definition below to better help your understanding of this principle.

Proof

a. The cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact.
b. The process or an instance of establishing the validity of a statement especially by derivation from other statements in accordance with principles of reasoning.

edit on 23-9-2011 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Pics or it didn't happen..

Seriously though, it does get old..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by rbnhd76

HAHA - I love that comment "Pics or it didn't happen..." priceless.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

I agree....a lot of the threads are misleading....and really are just peoples theories and opinions. I grow weary of the misleading info.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MentorsRiddle

It seems evident in the last few weeks that we don't even know what constitutes proof. The only thing we can claim is that proof exists for that moment that it was "found" to exist for a particular thing at a particular time.

Two recent insights into "proof" have been very troubling to basic science. And if those proofs are not exactly that, than all proof is suspect. First, was the apparent discover that some basic elements that can constitute matter (and decay) may not be constants across the Universe as we thought we have proven and accepted as a basic law of the Universe. Now this last week, we learn that there seems to be particles that exceed the speed of light. And this has been accepted as conclusively proven over and over a thousand times. There had been suggestions that such was not true for all matter, but that thought, the theories, were given little credence because Einstein said....

top topics

join