It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas drops special last meal for death row inmates

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This is a difficult topic for me all the way around, as I have worked on both sides of the legal spectrum....as a police officer....and as a criminal defense investigator who worked to keep accused killers from getting the death penalty. There is no right answer, in my opinion.

I have seen murderers convicted of horrific killings be sentenced to death...and wind up outliving many of the victim's family members due to decades of appeals and red tape. I have seen convicted murderers "pay their debt to society," and get out of prison after serving their sentence...only to turn around and kill again.

I also have seen convicted murderers show sincere remorse....to the point of taking their own life.

All I know is, particularly here in California, our justice system has created this sense of "entitlement" among convicted criminals. They almost count on the fact that someone in the justice system will successfully get their butts out of the mess they're in....so they are fearless.

Regarding this issue of last meals in Texas. I don't really have an opinion one way or another. The whole thing is really ridiculous if you think about it. Giving a person his last meal request...only to kill him before the meal has even digested. The point is moot as far as I'm concerned. Go ahead...give him the meal......it's really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

I hope someday humanity can find a way to subvert one's tendency to commit murder, period. I think that is the real issue here. Why do people do it? I have a feeling the responsibility for this will fall directly on every one of our shoulders....not just a certain element of people. It's that reality that many do not want to accept. We have all created this situation....or at least allowed it to happen due to our inaction.

Believe me, I am no tree hugging liberal. I've just had a chance to view it from both sides of the spectrum...and this is what I found.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

It's not necessarily me "caring" for them, it's more about me doing what I think is right in my heart. It's not like I'm buying them a diamond encrusted watch or something. It's freakin' food.

I understand that you're having compassion for them, and I'm not arguing that..but at the same time..where is our compassion for all those who are starving, and taking their last breaths as we speak...due to no fault of their own.

As far as the "its just freakin" food comment..did you see what that guy ordered?

Makes me wonder if the guards or staff didn't put him up to it..considering they would get what chose not to eat.

Now that wouldn't surprise me a bit..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Howakan
Well, technically, you cant take away anyones "last meal", because whatever they eat last, will become their last meal. You can only take away their option to choose what they are served. Personally, I dont care one way or another, or see it worthy of debate when so many greater issues are at play. One meal is very little concession for someone who is about to die. I doubt they enjoy it or feel great eating that last steak.

I will say that I pity anyone who is about to die and knows it. Gotta be a horrible feeling. And save the rhetoric about how they earned that feeling and the death penalty, etc etc, I get it already. Doesnt matter to me. Anyone who murders has "something" wrong with them. Perhaps insanity, perhaps environmental issues, perhaps poor upbringing, perhap the inability to make good choices. I dont know, but they probably didnt one day just make a choice to be evil. "Normal" people dont do that. So I am just grateful that I dont have "something" wrong with me and I have empathy for and pity those that do.

why not just let em eat and argue about something that actually matters.

Pretty much sums it up for me, too, Howakan.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Not against last meal requests.

I am against it taking 20+ years for them to receive it.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

For the record, I am actually against capital punishment.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox

Now Texas has the highest rates of capital punishment. A few years ago they even speeded up the process.

We haven't sped it up enough, though. Lawrence Brewer was convicted 10 years ago. He's had his room and board, health care, three square meals a day, and cable TV all paid for partially by Byrd's family. That's justice, right? All three of those sub-humans admitted to it. They should have each had a bullet in the brain the day after the trial.

I have family in Jasper and I had met Brewer back a bit before then. I remember him because the time I met him he was very vocal about his white supremacist views. Instead of beating the piss out of him, I just left because he was a family acquaintance and I didn't want to make waves. Trust me, the world is better off without him. I just wish it had been sooner.

/TOA

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
when those murders start giving their victims a last meal

then maybe i will care

til then

if you cant hack the time dont do the crime

meh

edit on 23-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality

Lawrence Russell Brewer ordered two chicken fried steaks smothered in gravy with sliced onions, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, a cheese omelet with other ingredients, a large bowl of fried okra with ketchup, three fajitas, a pint of Blue Bell ice cream and a pound of barbecue with a half-loaf of white bread.

The meal request also included a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts, a pizza and three root beers.

That is a lot of groceries. I have to agree and say its a total waste.

and the 17 million spent on lawyers, appeals and housing the guy for 10 years is not a waste.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

While I respect your answer, it begs the question: don't you think they have any control over whether or not they put themselves in that position? You state "I wouldn't want to be in their shoes". Well, I am fairly certain the death row inmate's VICTIM didn't want to be in the position of being murdered either.

Lastly, if you don't want to be in their shoes, than don't kill anyone. It's really that simple IMO.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It doesn't make sense to me, if people think a person is 'criminal enough' to be convicted for a crime and killed in consequence, that it is humane to feed them their favorite food before killing them.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Texan governors and congressmen ran out of ways to show how tough and resolute they are? How about managing texas the way that it can financially survive without leaning on the union?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

Not me.. I'm against keeping an innocent man in prison 20 some years and still executing him. They had plenty of time to get this guy you. If they start executing faster then even more innocent people will be killed. Think if they would not have waited one of the west memphis three would be dead now.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Good Thread. This is quite a story. Let me understand what I read here.... A politician in a law and order state reads that an inmate convicted of a particularly vicious and vile crime has a last meal made up of his requests. Said politician sees a golden opportunity to be Mr. Law for a few extra votes, so he decides future Row inmates can just eat slop off a tin tray like they, and everyone else, eats every day. Okay... So what is wrong with this? Quite a bit in my view.

First, if Corrections leadership in Texas had been requesting this change, I'd feel like there might be some basis besides a whining Pol looking for votes. They didn't and there isn't.

Second, as one other person touched on..this is not that easy. Forget the inmate for a minute, since no one on the Row is going to be a very sympathetic case. However, staff ALSO work that unit and despite themselves, they DO establish some connection. They're all human beings. It's impossible not to. Did it ever occur to this bean counter in a suit that maybe this little ritual helps STAFF get through a difficult process too?

I for one, elect my state reps to represent my interests in matters that effect the future and direction of my state or immediate problems effecting my quality of living as a constituent. I DO NOT elect these people to waste their time, state money and the public's energies in bothering with what a dead man eats before he's put down for good. If it doesn't hurt someone, and those who DIRECTLY run the process don't desire a major change....they just need to leave crap like this alone.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Second, as one other person touched on..this is not that easy. Forget the inmate for a minute, since no one on the Row is going to be a very sympathetic case. However, staff ALSO work that unit and despite themselves, they DO establish some connection. They're all human beings. It's impossible not to. Did it ever occur to this bean counter in a suit that maybe this little ritual helps STAFF get through a difficult process too?

lol...right...like maybe the staff gets to eat the food he ordered for 10 people?

geeez..maybe there are other ways the staff can get through this difficult process..besides watching the inmate order food that he really doesn't want.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
my opinion on last meals is it does not really matter if they have one or not.
but some of the comments on the issue of 'death row' in all recent threads makes me wonder what people expect. they seem to want to go backwards in time to when people were just killed with no court or jury or any ability to appeal, it is as though they imagine medevil england as the ideal justice system, to save money of course.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
No one has posted this little piece of info: He didn't touch a bite of it.

CNN

In my opinion, that amount of food, even for a last meal, should never have been approved. Utter waste.
edit on 9/23/11 by calmbutwary because: Wanted to share my opinion

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by calmbutwary
No one has posted this little piece of info: He didn't touch a bite of it.

CNN

yeah ..I did mention it..that was the crazy part..he ordered enough to feed 10 people.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Whoops. Sorry. I thought I had scanned the replies pretty well.

I wonder if this is the first time this sort of waste was approved. This by no means was a NORMAL meal.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

lol...right...like maybe the staff gets to eat the food he ordered for 10 people?

geeez..maybe there are other ways the staff can get through this difficult process..besides watching the inmate order food that he really doesn't want.

We can probably find a number of ways to make their last hour or two measurably worse. If the whole point was to boot them into the business end of a firing range and blow them into bloody ribbons, who'd care? However, under our system the inmate has to be cooperative or the whole process becomes a labor intensive nightmare for the staff.

My bloodlust as someone who supports executing violent criminals is more than satisfied by the fact he got to the 'last meal' stage. That doesn't mean I think serving justice to even the worst inmates need be any harder or more miserable for the people tasked with doing it than necessary. This politician just single handedly insured future executions in Texas will be just a bit worse than they've previously been. Way to go. He might get a whole basket of new votes for the effort.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I do not have a problem with providing a last meal for an inmate sentenced to death, however there has to be limitations. For instance, a last meal should be just that.......A MEAL! That is singular. What this inmate order was multiple meals and a complete waste of money. There was no possible way he was going to eat everything he ordered. Just look at the menu...

1. 2 chicken fried steaks smothered in gravy with sliced onions

2. triple-meat bacon cheeseburger

3. a cheese omelet with other ingredients

4. a large bowl of fried okra with ketchup

5. three fajitas

6. a pint of Blue Bell ice cream

7. a pound of barbecue with a half-loaf of white bread

8. a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts

9. a pizza

10. 3 root beers

Aside from the root beer, ice cream and Okra, he is having 7 full meals. Sorry but at some point doesn't common sense kick in? Common sense should tell us that we do not need a law to know that this is excessive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join