It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas drops special last meal for death row inmates

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
I never understood why they received special, by-request meals anyway. Most of the people on death row have been found guilty of violently murdering someone. The person they killed certainly didn't get any final wishes, let alone a last meal, so why should the person that prematurely ended their life receive anything special? Frankly, the people on death row have, on average, received more than 10 years of meals more than their victims.

The Voice of the Roman empire and his legion of stars.

I think it is because, "We the people" who are killing the killer try to extend one
last bit of humanity as a gesture of our humanity. I know it is very
popular to be as cold like the murderer's psyche by denying any humanity involved.
Watch out for the vengeance of conservative America, good forbid you let the state feed
a person, but go right on ahead a fry them with maximum punitive force.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

pffft...what right does he have to eat better than the person who may dying of some disease within the next few days.

The tax payers don't need to waste money on some deluxe pig out meal...because it will be some murderers last meal..

If your argument is that ..he is dying..and this will be his last meal..are you willing to let all the homeless..the unemployed, and sick.. who will be dying soon....have the same chance at a deluxe menu before they die..on the tax payers dollar?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

It's not a fair question, and I think you know that.

I KNOW the inmate's gonna die in a matter of hours (barring a stay). I DON'T KNOW that any of these other people you're mentioning are gonna die anytime soon. It's apples and oranges.

I just happen to have a modicum of decency for someone who's living their final hours, I know I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. I'd do the same for anybody in that situation, whether they be on death row or not.

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Please.. everyone. Stop with the tax payers garbage.
What do you think that tax money would go to if it wasn't feeding a prisoner? Think you would just get it back? "Oh we didn't feed him, should we just make the check back out to the American people?"

It's idiotic. Do you guys think they would take that tax money and do something good with it?
Honestly feeding Americans (prisoners) is probably the closest our tax money comes to doing something decent.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I just happen to have a modicum of decency for someone who's living their final hours, I know I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. I'd do the same for anybody in that situation, whether they be on death row or not.

really?...even if they brutally murdered your wife and 3 children?

c'mon now ..be honest? Would you want to do it for that person?

Peace..

edit on 23-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

It's idiotic. Do you guys think they would take that tax money and do something good with it? Honestly feeding Americans (prisoners) is probably the closest our tax money comes to doing something decent.

hmmm... I think fixing roads.. and bridges that could potentially cause serious accidents..is a pretty decent way to spend taxes.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Are you just gonna keep picking the worst circumstance so you can win the argument? Fine......you win.

To answer that particular question though, maybe, maybe not.

Peace

edit on 23-9-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
How about drop the death sentence alltogether? It's a backwards practice. As if revenge or punishment for crimes has ever done any good to society.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Gabby, it is a known fact that the majority of families who witness the execution of their loved one's killer do not experience any sense of satisfaction or sense of relief. It doesn't take away their pain.

Such a notion is a myth.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Yeah.. just cuz you wish it wont make it so.
Actually, those prisoners are unconsciously patriotic, each of their lives probably keeps a bomb from being dropped somewhere. ; P

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

I am kinda with you on this one.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

Did you read where the woman that saw the execution of that innocent man the other day said she wanted it so she could have closure so after a two hour stay of execution they killed him?

I don't know how killing an innocent man who has been in prison for 22 years equals closure..
It's so selfish.. and how could that bring you closure. Knowing that he probably didn't do it, but just needing someone to die for your sons murder. It's so messed up.
edit on 23-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Vodo34861

I think the confusion is in the writing. I get the impression that they mean they are dropping the last meal, but if it should be debated or if it goes to court, then they will try to change teh law itself if it is disputed.

Lord knows it may be disputed.

link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

THow about drop the death sentence alltogether? It's a backwards practice. As if revenge or punishment for crimes has ever done any good to society.

Now there's a dose of reality for ya. Very true.

Unfortunately, most people cannot break away from their beliefs that somehow prison/jail are deterrents. Certainly, the death penalty is not a deterrent against murder.

I don't know what the answer is, but we certainly aren't getting anywhere with our current setup. It's failed us miserably.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
I never understood why they received special, by-request meals anyway.

There is a modicum of guilt associated with taking life, even in pro-death penalty people. Maybe it's subconscious, maybe not. So this last gift serves as an atonement for that.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Funding doesnt' work like that. Any money distributed stays with the program it is distributed too. The only thing is the prison cafeterial will have an extra hundred bucks that month.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love

Originally posted by gabby2011

Are you just gonna keep picking the worst circumstance so you can win the argument? Fine......you win.

To answer that particular question though, maybe, maybe not.

Peace

edit on 23-9-2011 by Dr Love because: (no reason given)

No..I'm not trying to pick the worse scenario..but somebody's loved one died because of these death row people..maybe some circumstances differ, as to why they were murdered..etc...so while it may not be you who was directly affected by this murder..there were others who were... so basically it is an "every case scenario".

They didn't even get a chance to say their last goodbyes..let alone offer their loved one an "anything you want " type of meal...

hey..I admire your caring for those in their last hour of life, but many (not all) of these humans didn't care too much about their victims.

peace..

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by NightGypsy

Did you read where the woman that saw the execution of that innocent man the other day said she wanted it so she could have closure so after a two hour stay of execution they killed him?

I don't know how killing an innocent man who has been in prison for 22 years equals closure..
It's so selfish.. and how could that bring you closure. Knowing that he probably didn't do it, but just needing someone to die for your sons murder. It's so messed up.
edit on 23-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

No, I didn't see that. However, I would like to hear how that woman now feels after she got her wish. I bet she is singing a different tune. I understand that grief causes extreme emotion, but I feel for these victim's family members when they find that execution doesn't give them the satisfaction they hoped for. It's very sad for everyone.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

It's not necessarily me "caring" for them, it's more about me doing what I think is right in my heart. It's not like I'm buying them a diamond encrusted watch or something. It's freakin' food.

Peace

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Well, technically, you cant take away anyones "last meal", because whatever they eat last, will become their last meal. You can only take away their option to choose what they are served. Personally, I dont care one way or another, or see it worthy of debate when so many greater issues are at play. One meal is very little concession for someone who is about to die. I doubt they enjoy it or feel great eating that last steak.

I will say that I pity anyone who is about to die and knows it. Gotta be a horrible feeling. And save the rhetoric about how they earned that feeling and the death penalty, etc etc, I get it already. Doesnt matter to me. Anyone who murders has "something" wrong with them. Perhaps insanity, perhaps environmental issues, perhaps poor upbringing, perhap the inability to make good choices. I dont know, but they probably didnt one day just make a choice to be evil. "Normal" people dont do that. So I am just grateful that I dont have "something" wrong with me and I have empathy for and pity those that do.

why not just let em eat and argue about something that actually matters.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join